šŸ”· Topping L30

eh? oh, no not the smsl t1. Beyerdynamic T1 tried with 789. Tried an sp200 tooā€¦ just nope

As an owner of the SP200ā€¦I will agree. Not a good pairing at all.

1 Like

I havenā€™t received my L30 yet, but itā€™d be a contender with the others at the same price, so itā€™s a no-brained for half the cost IMO.

1 Like

I am kind of a newbie still

Do you think they are able to power T50/60rps

I always hear Zeos mentioning them as kind of a benchmark for AMPs

Kinf of toppic but
Argons are T20/40/50rps mods correct ? But are they harder to drive then T20/40/50rps? Or is it the same?)

Got mine in today, pretty nice for the price so far, honestly sounds real close to the a90 off memory, preforming as expected so far

1 Like

I would say so

I think argonā€™s are t50 mods

Slightly harder but pretty similar tbh

how big of an upgrade is this topping stack over my d10 or LS do you think? cause the specs of the l30 alone have me hard debating it. and I ve been wanting the e30 since release cause of the remote

Hmmm itā€™s a change in sound signature with a bit better detail retrieval with more clean and neutral sound, but still pretty smooth and not harsh imo. Imo first what I would do is just grab the e30 and use it with the spark and see what you think, and if you wanted something more clean and neutral than the spark with a less laid back sound the l30 is worth a buy. Although I canā€™t say it would be a massive upgrade or anything, but it would still be a bit of an upgrade imo (if you donā€™t mind the sound signature change)

I dont mind the sound sig change at all. dont really need upgrades right now thoughā€¦ itā€™s just a really pretty stack

Comparison to a THX (which I know you donā€™t really like) and sayā€¦the Atom?

Feel a lot of these ASR approved options in this range all run neutral. Any real sound signature differences you see with the L30 versus sayā€¦Atom, Magni 3+, Heresy? To a Geshelli?

I personally prefer this to the thx amps Iā€™ve heard, more neutral than the thx oversharpened and more lean feeling sound, non offensive detail retrieval, same control and impact as thx, so basically a thx like sound but slightly smoother and without the issues thx had. Regarding the atom, I think the atom would be slightly brighter and not as smooth, a bit more detail retrieval, more and control than the topping (with not super demanding cans), timbre wise the atom might be a slight bit more accurate but I donā€™t have both on hand so I canā€™t say for sure, spatial recreation the topping might have more accurate imaging but the atom might throw a bit more convincing stage and have more depth, but again this would prob be something I need to sit down with both again to really confirm

I think the heresy, atom, and geschelli all have a more similar signature, and the magni 3+ is going to be close as well tbh although a bit slightly warmer and smoother. Out of the budget amps I think a liquid spark would be more of an outlier for a more relaxed, smoother, more crafted sound. But generally the budget stuff all tends to be closer than you would imagine compared to higher end stuff imo

I think anyone with any of the budget reference amps is prob not going to find too much of an upgrade going to the l30, it would be very marginal and imo not worth unless you want to sidegrade depending on the headphone. I do think jumping to a higher performance tier is worthwhile though

But that full front fascia control tho. :drooling_face:

It is very nice to see a good pre out switch lol, I gotta say the e30 + l30 stack is very slick and easily worthwhile as a starter setup imo depending on the headphones used

Received my stack earlier this afternoon and promptly set it up. Definitely donā€™t have enough listening time in to give any solid impressions, but I do feel like I can speak to the user experience a bit. I know it seems like such a small thing, but I love the feel of the volume knob on the L30. Coming from the Schiit Heresy, which I honestly hated the feel of when adjusting volume, the L30 is so nice and smooth. And the front switches? Good god I didnā€™t know how much I needed them until now. Theyā€™re so much more convenient. And I canā€™t tell you how many times I left my Heresy on overnight because Iā€™d forget to reach back and switch it off. (Is that bad for an amp? I donā€™t know.) So yeah, quick first impressions on the user experience. Hope this is helpful for someone and that Iā€™m not the only one concerned with what turning the knob feels like lol.

Would def agree, the magni volume pots are pretty dang meh and the front switches are pretty nice

No not really if itā€™s solid state

1 Like

I would honestly tend to agree, this amp can sound too smoothed over at times compared to a atom/heresy, but generally itā€™s solid if you have some planar that can benefit from more power than the atom can offer (or if you have some harsher headphones)

1 Like

The l30 is defs one of the most natural sounding amps Iā€™ve heard, I get bothered by treble harshness a lot and this is one of the few amps Iā€™ve heard that can be neutral and detailed but not harsh.

2 Likes

Iā€™d agree. But I was surprised by how much I enjoyed it. Having used my Heresy for a few weeks, when I plugged in the L30 for the first time, I was taken back by how much smoother my music sounded. And Iā€™m not complaining. It was a pleasant surprise and Iā€™ve enjoyed it a lot.

That said, if you I could get a A50/D50s stack for nearly the same price as a L30/E30 stack, should I go for the 50? I donā€™t have any need for the balanced outputs (yet, I guess), so Iā€™m a little wary of some of the short comings Iā€™ve read about the SE output not being as powerful. Any thoughts or advice? Or specifically a comparison with the L30?

1 Like

If you have any plans to get balanced-capable headphones in the future, then get the the a50 combo. If you want that front headphone/pre/off switch, get the l30 combo.

1 Like