Torn between 3 headphones, asking for advice

I live in Egypt, recently I found some guy who sells “used” headphones and these 3 headphones are within my budget, so can I get help to decide which is best for me?
coming for a Samson SR850, I will use it for gaming and listening to (pop/orchestral) music
1- Fidelio x2hr (brand new) = 210$
2- Sennheiser X Massdrop HD 6XX (slightly used) = 190$
3- Sennheiser HD 58x Jubilee (slightly used) = 240$

2 Likes

most people will recommend the hd6xx out of those 3 especially for the prices listed

3 Likes

For the $ I would go with the 6XX :wink:

2 Likes

I would ask if you have some amp/powerful source for that? If not, then only rational out of those three to be driven from phone/motherboard DAC would be X2HR

2 Likes

planning to get the FiiO Q1 Mark II later

1 Like

welcome to HFG thesamepotatoe!

and as has been parroted by everyone, the HD6xx have the best value. it’s kind off surprising to see the HD68x being so much more as it has a significantly lower price than the 6xx over here in NA.

2 Likes

Thanks for the welcome
but yea prices are super weird here, the shp 9500 is about the same price as the 6xx, and there are almost no amps or dacs here too

how hard / easy would it be to order stuff off AliExpress or other Chinese based resellers / websites?

6xx, without question. But you’ll need an amp to drive it properly.

2 Likes

it not hard, but taxes are super high here, 30% customs tax and 14% vat

VAT? Egypt is part of the EU? how is this possible, you’re African! :wink:

what if something is sent as a gift?

1 Like

I don’t know the specifics I just know that it sucks and I wish them to stop

1 Like

I personally didn’t love the 6XX until I purchased a beefy tube amp (Xduoo TA 26), and I LOVED the Fidelio X2HRs for gaming. Best of all, you barely need amplification for that headphone!

So yeah, IMO: 6XX is best for music (if you give it the right amplificiation), and the X2HR is a lot of fun for gaming or bass-heavy music.

2 Likes

hey Potatoe, you should note what CATH says…the HD6xx, actually, every HD6 family headphone loves a warm amp, so they really sing with a tube amp.

1 Like

see how easy it is to get the iFi Audio Zen DAC. I know the UK isn’t in the EU anymore, but iFi is a European company, so perhaps easier to get? it’s not a tube amp, but it uses the TI Burr Brown DAC chipset, which is very warm, so the 6xx will do well with it. I have the original and it’s my daily driver, I love it!

1 Like

Unfortunately I didn’t find the iFi Audio Zen DAC, but I will definitely put it on my radar,
the only tube amp that I saw in Egypt was this

1 Like

And I was planning to get a basic amp, either the Schiit Heresy or the FiiO Q1 Mark II

hey Potatoe…the Zen DAC is actually a DAC and Amp combined. Ifi also has separate versions, but after the dust settled, there really wasn’t much of a performance difference between the more affordable single unit vs the separate. the Zen Signature Amp does have 3D Surround sound though, which is supposed to be very awesome. iFi is also known for having the best EQ bass boost function in the industry, XBass.

1 Like

that does sound really nice, shame I cant find it tho

Q1 mk 2 is too low on power unless you buy balanced cable for headphones, and that would be 50 $ extra. I mean it would work, but not the best option out there if you want some headroom for some more tracks with highly dynamic recording.
On balanced it would be just fine.
Check up on Zen DAC, Hip DAC or maybe E1DA 9038D.
Another option is XDuoo MT-602 plus iPhone cable DAC, should be less than 120$ total.

1 Like