TRI I3 Planar / DD / BA Hybrid

Damn man that’s nice, after the micropore tape mod I really prefer my P1 atm, like this gives me hope, I may end up selling some stuff to give these a try. :smiley:
Edit: also did you notice any metallic sounding treble or anything wierd with the timbre?

Nothing weird to my ears but the one thing to stress is these might be boring. Specially after spending weeks with the OH10 and Tape, this signature might feel bland. I find them calming.

2 Likes

Well bland is fine as long as its detailed and excels in other areas like you mentioned, ie soundstage, separation, resolution, imaging etc. A balanced sound can be good, case in point the P1 or T2 :wink:

U wont be disappointed. I love the P1 and T2 too, P1 always has the WOW factor whenever i put them on my ears, these are solid too, they do something different as in how strong everything is presented. Kinda can feel that sound comes from 3 different drivers all doing their job properly. Their strentgth is in detail retrieval still providing a fatigue free session leaving to want more. These can be listened to easily for hours and not get fatigued. Stays comfortable even at higher volumes and doesnt distort, also gives different experience across the volume range which i liked.

3 Likes

So I joined the club and ordered an I3 from AliExpress… Hope this will be my end game. Already have a 1more triple driver (gave it to my dad), Tin T3 (Which I use mainly for movies due to its great soundstage). Zsx (Don’t like it much), Trn v90, barely used because I got them at the same time that my Blon Bl-03 ( a second unit in the way before they dissapear) wich I like very much… Returned the Fh5 cause couldn’t get a fit so this wil be its substitute. Now must wait one month for it to get here… :frowning:

2 Likes

So I have been using the i3s for a few days now and I really like them. I would prefer a bit more of subbass (just ordered the Ikko OH10). But these sound great compared to my previous iems. Jazz, classic, rock… Nice.

1 Like

You will have to compare for me so I know if I need to grab those up :slight_smile:

1 Like

These look very interesting…

So a little bit late probably but I can answer you now. In my Fiio M9 the average volume needed for a reasonably loud sound (Zsx, Blon bl03, Trn V90) is around 60 (of 120). That is the single ended connector. With the i3 I need to go 80-85, more if equalised around 95. But if you connect it to an amp, in my case an affordable Topping Nx3s it sounds better. That planar’s hungry…

So a phone is a no-no…

5 Likes

So more days of listening. These definitively need an amp. Without, directly with my M9 they don’t sound nearly as clear or detailed. Connected to the Nx3s they are warmer and sound (I don’t know how to say it, lack the knowledge and the vocabulary) with more authority. The planar slam for example.
Another thing is that they are quite unforgiving. Bad recordings sound bad.
Stay tuned for more, lol…

2 Likes

Ok, I’ve been listening for a week now and these are VERY good. As I received the OH10 today, earphones that most of you know I would be able to provide a comparison. For now I can say that the soundstage of the i3 destroys the Ikko’s. I can also say that the i3 are more relaxed, the OH10 being “in your face”. In a few days will post more. Burning in and eartip rolling right now…

3 Likes

So, after a week or so listening to the OH10 I realize how good the Tri i3 are. The OH10 provide an impactful and detail sound, in your face you could say, mostly bass and treble. The Tri is more balanced (you don’t have to raise the volume to listen to the singer properly). Also, the whole experience in the Ikko is more, I would say impactful, whereas in the i3 is more relaxed and you can enjoy it for longer sesions.

Mid bass is explosive in the OH10, less so in the i3 but present nonetheless, more than enought. Treble quite good in both, the bigest difference would be subbass. Ikko wins here. The subbass in the i3 is good but you need a perfect seal and power (and with some tracks bass boost or Eq are welcome).

Soundstage is very good (it’s a very large Iem so resonance has to be better with those big casings). Imaging is good, instrument separation and definition are probably the best than the i3 has to offer. I listen a lot of jazz and this set excels here. Listening now while writing to one of the best all time jazz records, Stan Getz & Joao Gilberto, cymbals sound as clear as they could (like with for example DT1990), voices clear and relaxing, saxo strong but not sibilant (trumpet and saxo usually kill me with iems) bass never invades other instruments or voices).

A track I often listen to check if it’s going to be too much treble for me is Take it Easy, from the Eagles. Those guitars at the start are the key. If they sound slightly warm I will be allright, otherwise goodbye baby… Some times I can fix this with eartips, but some tips can change the overall sound of the earphone and we don’t want that, do we? Well, in the i3 they sound perfect to me.

Now, I can use the OH10 directly with my Fiio M9 and they sound very good. Can’t do that with the Tri, well you can, but it sounds way fuller with an amp. In my case the Topping Nx3s does the job perfectly.

So if I go for a walk I can take the Ikko, more bass and less power requirements makes it perfect for exteriors. The i3 needs more power to sound properly than my Dap can provide so I use them at home.

Wich are the best set? Can’t say, most technical details escape me, but I can say that to me the Tri i3 is a better sounding set overall, more enjoyable and comfortable to wear.

Now please take all of this with a pinch of salt, my knowledge of the audio terms is very basic and I’ve tried to explain what is a very personal experience. This is my perception wich I am sure won’t be others.

I used a Fiio M9, Topping Nx3s, Xiaomi Redmi note 5, Xduoo XD-05 Plus, single ended cables for the comparison. I couldn’t use my sp200 because it’s not grounded and I get a big hum with the i3.

Music from: AC/DC, Adele, Aimee Mann, B.B. King, Dave Brubeck, Dexter Gordon, Diana Krall, Deadmau5, Eagles, Enya, Gary Moore, Harry Connick, John Lee Hooker, Michael Buble, Miles Davis, Nat King Cole, Oliver Nelson, Pink Floyd, Ronny Jordan, Santana, Stan Getz & Joao Gilberto, The Rolling Stones, Van Morrison, Willie Nelson.

P.D. I forgot: Tips I used fwith the OH10 are the dark grey provided with the set, to me those are the best. For the Tri i3 i used Symbio Peel W (a bit more bass) and Spinfit Cp145 (a bit more soundstage).

9 Likes

Awesome, glad you are enjoying both! Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

3 Likes

Starting to feel that Headphones are overpriced. Had a chance to listen Meze 99 Classics, immediately felt that the signature is similar to i3. Ended up listening to both and realised i3 destroys the Meze 99 Classics at half the price.

3 Likes

To be fair here, the meze aren’t as technically capable as they should be for the price (that’s kinda for all their products imo lol) :wink:

But glad you are enjoying the i3, very curious about them :+1:

3 Likes

Hey I know been a while since someone posted something here (plus I’m also new here) but I’ve been listening to my TRI I3 and I have been loving them (Just got them yesterday) but I feel like I can improve it more even though I know it’s pretty easy to drive, what kind of budget-friendly (Max limit is like 200$) DAC/AMP would anyone recommend? I’ve been eyeing on the fiio Q1 mark II and I wonder if that is enough?

Thank you for reading

1 Like

The i3 improves a lot with amplification.

Would the fiio Q1 mark II be enough?

What are you using as a Player?

Currently I’m using my phone (Galaxy S10) with a Hidiz sonata dongle dac with source of music being my CD I rip to flac and occasionally I listen to apple music, planning to improve my laptop setup along with my portable so that’s why I was thinking of getting the fiio Q1 mark II.