đŸ”¶ Tripowin X HBB Olina

i highly doubt it is earwax because human body does not produce such a quantity of earwax in just a few weeks, it is more likely water from sweat condensation, the simple test is to let it dry without replacing the filters : if sound return to normal after drying up it was water if sound remains with dropped volume it was earwax (each time i run or bike with olina i have this issue and each time if fixed itself without replacing filters after drying up)

can hbb please confirm tanya filters is the solution that works and organise a group buying of tanya filters for olina owners so we don’t all have to spent $24 on tanya to fix olina problem. proactively fixing his products flaws would be cool and responsible from hbb side

1 Like

My perfect setup for Olina:
1)Tanya filter on the nozzle
2) Y3 filter on the shell
3) Tips are very personal issue
 I’m using this one in L size w/o orange foam inserts.

3 Likes

Not to my ears. It’s still pretty peaky out of my QK5 even if I listen to FLAC files. It may sound better if you manage to EQ it in the right way, but that’s definitely not my area of expertise. I went back to the Shortbus mod + xelastec tips so that the vocals don’t sound recessed and/or nasal.

1 Like

My Olina setup:
—Azla Xelastec tips
—Double filter on the nozzle (Shortbus mod)
—XINHS 8 core balanced cable (if that even matters)
I’m using the Qudelix 5K as a wired DAC for my PC. I’m not that into filters, but I think that the transients and the imaging sound the best with the Hybrid Fast Roll-Off filter. YMMV, of course.

There’s another guy who’s shared a similar combo

PS: Bit perfect does make a difference with this gear ??? I thought it was just another marketing scheme. Could be just placebo, idk. One thing’s for sure, Olina definitely allows me to hear microdetails —easter eggs, if you will— that were utterly unknown to my ears.

4 Likes

I heard from trusted people that tanya filters has some kind of anti-moisture coating pre-applied and solves this issue. I didn’t want to buy tanya just for filters (and liked the sound of shortbus mod) so I bought a water repellant spray for $2 and it works
!
but it’ll be cool if HBB try to fix this issue. condensation is definitely a flaw that needs to be taken care of. not all people have the knowledge to fix it.

2 Likes

I spent all Saturday morning on listening to Velvet Underground and their covers with my Olina and still impressed with following interpretation :slight_smile: :notes:

Olina shines with this song :wink:

3 Likes

250 both on the front vent and stacked on the nozzle was easily my best compromise. Don’t see a downside this way. Less tip sensitive which means it’s
very close to right unless way off and this is close to right.

1 Like

did you apply the water repellant spray on a pair of included olina replacement filters before sticking them on olina ? no clogging from the spray lowering sound volume after the water repellant dried ? what is the brand of your $2 water repellant ? thanks

1 Like

I was using double mesh mod then applied this spray. no negative sonic effect. its a no brand generic spray :grinning:
you can find lots of alternatives

1 Like

Got the DUNU Vernus 2 days ago and have been comparing them to the Olina.

Some notes: (Assuming the Reference filter is used.)

• Olina is more technical than the Vernus sporting wider soundstage and slightly better detail retrieval. Imaging on both is about the same.

• Vernus has more a natural timbre and generally sounds less compressed than the Olina.

• Vernus has a much smoother treble response but is a tad bloated even when using the transparency filter which has the least mid bass, something the Olina avoids completely.

The Vernus is a good set, but it can’t hold a candle to how good the Olina is at it’s price point.

6 Likes

Thanks for your impressions! Are you running stock Olina?

Yeah, the double filter mod didn’t work for me as the filters would come off.

1 Like

Gotcha, I guess that’s where the Olina is losing some points for timbre - it can be a bit thin sounding in stock

3 Likes

front vent mod easily come of over time because it rubs against our ear skin but double filter mod should never come off even when you change the tips because it is protected by the tube lip, you may either have not pushed it down enough or have touched the glue from the second filter with your fingers

2 Likes

Aromato, yeah, that’s pretty much what my final tuning is right now, but also with the original Olina filter over the port near the bore. So it’s one high density filter tuning sponge in the bore + 4.5mm 500 mesh damping filter over the bore + the original Olina damping mesh filter over the port nearest the bore. I’m telling you the Olina is one special beast. I don’t know how it’s doing it but it’s putting my Xenns Up IEMs to shame on my rig. The speed that the Olina is capable is pretty impressive. Bass impact now is killer even better than planars. Also instrument separation & soundstage is still good after these mods. I know a lot has to do with the DAC/Amp combo too. I’m running them on a modded Xduoo XD-05 around 20% or so volume on the highest gain setting. High gain has the best impact, the Olina’s seem to like the volts. I milled out the cover of the XD-05 and installed 2 Sparko Labs SS2590 Pro opamps paired into their 8-pin adapter. (See Michael Bruce’s YouTube video) Running the XD-05 on bass boost doesn’t muddy up the mids either with this setup. The Olina’s are now a bass heads dream come true. Thanks HBB for getting these produced and the community for all the work testing and giving feedback on your mods.
P.S. Using with ES100 today. Sounds great too. Balanced out 2x setting. EQ slight bump at 63hz and 16khz.

3 Likes

I don’t think the Olina sounds unnatural, but it does lose some points against the Vernus on smoothness.

That being said, I definitely see people enjoying the treble energy Olina brings to the table, it’s not something I would consider a hard negative, just something to keep in mind if you are treble sensitive or if you prefer a smoother treble.

Vernus on Reference and Atmospheric Immersion settings sounds pretty nice and fixes some of the bloat issues people reported with the Falcon Pro, pity it’s stupidly limited.

2 Likes

Tbh I prefer a Matte look all day so that it won’t be a fingerprint magnet. Looks good on the Olinas, if only I got the Matte finish back then for the Katos I got, but they ran out of stock therefore I got the Mirror Silver.

2 Likes

I couldn’t bare the “treble energy” on the Olina’s either. Especially at higher listening volumes. That’s why there are quite a few people on this forum applying filter mods to calm that down. I have been playing them with DSP to lower the simbilance until I got the filters set just right. Now they sound much more natural and balanced. Actually they are my favorite set now, and I probably have 20 sets of IEMs in the $20-$700 range. I know a lot of people don’t want to mess around with modding IEMs, and want them to be great out of the box. But there are rewards to be gained by those that do.

3 Likes

I wonder if there are people here can tolerate the Olina’s treble energy, I think I can tolerate it since there are many people from other forums that have been telling me that the DT880’s treble is a bit sharp to them, I know it’s not a fair comparison but I think this is the closest one that I can compare it with since I don’t have the Olinas and I can imagine it having that treble enegy same as the DT880 Pro.

3 Likes