šŸ”¶ Tripowin X HBB Olina

You need to be very careful doing this. There is a filter on the backside of that vent and if youā€™re making holes in the attached tape while attached, you are almost assuredly perforating the back filter or loosening it. Itā€™s why I use a filter instead of tape. Mine come off after a while as well but if I wanted to prevent that, Iā€™d just ring the filter with a very thin layer of nail polish applied with a pin or put a piece of tape with a hole cut out over the filter. I havenā€™t done that simply because I never planned on keeping them and wanted to hear then after having the O2 and Kato. I prefer these modded to either of those. :slightly_smiling_face: Did I mention I was selling them with some spare filters? :roll_eyes:

For those that want try tape. Make the hole before applying the tape and pull it off to change it. If you resell these after putting a hole in the tape when attached, youā€™ve very likely changed the stock product for the worse. Recommendations on add on filter values would not be correct either though that could be corrected by experiment.

How many flavours did Olina bringsā€¦so far 3 and loving allā€¦the ranking as per picture.

1. Ovidius B1ā€¦the majestic pairing of allā€¦very natural analogue sound with intimate sweet mids and smoothed out occational shoutiness and nasal vocal for Olinaā€¦no hissing on B1 and also no need for impedence adapter. UAPP works great switching to software volume controlā€¦cant go beyond 15 of 100 volume.

2. Xduoo L2B the widest and deepest soundstage on a dongleā€¦excellent bass as well on Olina.

3. Tempotec E44ā€¦more modern hifi soundā€¦bit aggressive but also bit edgy occationally.

Like them all. Using S12 4.4mm cableā˜ŗļø and for B1 using xihns 3.5 to 4.4 adapter cable for easy switching.

With Olina and S12 currently not motivated to watch any iem reviews haā€¦ha.

6 Likes

can you compare B1 vs Xduoo?? I love having wide & deep stage but you seem to ranked L2B lower than B1. is there a problem with it? does it have hiss on olina?
also do you have sth like BTR5 to compare?

1 Like

I began to find my olina too bright, and a little bit boring. So I made a tip-rolling session.
This is the list of tips I tried:

• spinfit cp100 M
  • spinfit cp145 M
  • spinfit cp145 S
  • azla crystal MS
  • azla xelaatec M
  • azla Sedna M
  • final type E ML

The winner is the spinfit cp145. The set gains some bass extension without too much boost, and keeps its clarity

The next one is the final type E: it raises the low end more, which can be a good thing or not, depending on the track.

The other azla boosted bass too much, which made sound messier.

Strangely enough, the cp145 M donā€™t have the same effect on bass than the S ones . Maybe a seal thing.

The cp100 donā€™t have that change with size.

3 Likes

L2B is great tooā€¦it is just preferenceā€¦if you like intimate mids, B1 is your choiceā€¦also B1 is more analogue than l2b. For Olina both are great B1 will smooth out upper mid occational shoutiness so suitsble for long sessions. L2B is excellent soundstage so opposite of intimate otherthan that no hissing on both dongles. I got B1 on sale for $75 which is steel.

Sorry i dont have any bluetooth dongle to compareā€¦i have xduoo mt604 which is too much for Olina so dont use it.

When it comes to S12 though my no1 choice is L2B only deep stage also excellent bass with Azls crystals. B1 dont pair well with S12. So its all about synergy and bit of personal preference.

2 Likes

That is interesting, I wouldnā€™t have expected the size to impact the tonality that much, since the tube is based on the model. The CP145 is one for 5-6mm, so I am guessing is around 4.5mm un-stretched. Actually the CP100 is stretched more, since it is designed for 4.5-5 mm.

I am guessing you are correct, it must be the seal.

I find that I get a very consistent seal with the CP100+ S that I typically use, and nearly as good with the Final E S, where I use a M once in a while. I do use the Sedna Crystal on some IEMs, but always in S.

Iā€™d guess the insertion depth changes with tip diameter, which in turn can affect sealing.

I used a super short very wide bore tip on my Canons and the treble sounded much more pronounced. Stage seemed to change too

2 Likes

Tip rolled my modded Olina (Tanchjim O2 filter) from stock Canon tips (similar to kbear07 but slightly thicker and stiffer stem) to Final E. Really liking the combo!
Edit: I think Iā€™m sacrificing a little bit of the holographic feeling for more mid-bass. The notes also sound more dense within the smaller stage. I think I wasnā€™t getting a proper seal in my left ear using the stock Canon tips. Anyway, I like it for jazz!

5 Likes

I have been listening to a couple albums with a pair of IEMs each day, today was Olina and Tea day, and while they are very different, Olina holds up well with the OG Tea on classic rock. The two albums I picked today were Fly By Night from Rush and Presence by Led Zeppelin. While the Mangird Teas are the newest addition, I continue to be impressed with Olina, even when compared with far more expensive IEMs.

9 Likes

Oof. Achilles last stand is just :ok_hand:

5 Likes

Still rocking with my set after the honeymoon period passed. The Olina easily competes with sets up to around 300. Iā€™m surprised Crinacle hasnā€™t mentioned it yet

I plan to get a Sennheiser IE600 later this fall to complete my own trifecta of single DD IEMs along with the Olina and Vernus.

IE600 for the most boombastic listen, Olina for a good balance between fun and analytical, Vernus for the most laidback replay.

Hybrids and tribrids are cool, but great single DD sets is where its at IMHO.

7 Likes

our ears are not symetrical, i use two different tips : one for each ear, it is easy to check if seal is good on both side : play low frequency tone and check if right ear volume is the same as the left ear, youā€™ll be surprised it is often not the case, you can use this Online Tone Generator - generate pure tones of any frequency set it to 40hz and balance left to right

2 Likes

howā€™s the S400 on olina? can you compare it to stock tips or starline??
comfort is a priority!

S400s were my main tips for Olina when I had it at hand and are my go to for range of different IEMs.

The problem is I do not have Olina anymore (I could not justify having large collection with very limited time available) so I can only speak from memory. And from what I remember S400 were main choice not due to some exceptional tonality (because it is normal, not ruining bass like Springs, but not helping a lot with harshness of the treble), but due to the fit and comfort. I may have some weird anatomy, but this short nozzles that both Mele and Olina have did not work for me very well. I could not keep seal with most tips I tried before that. Most tips are either too rigid or too soft for me - S400 are just in the middle, so they do not loose seal while squished, but they do not cause pain in my ear canal by being soft enough. Their sleeve is also in the middle for flexibility-rigidness almost like spin fits, so they can bend towards natural curvatures, while still maintaining the free non disturbed flow for the sound wave.

1 Like

thanks for the informative answer. as much as I love Olina for the sound, I havenā€™t found a tip that brings me comfort. KZ starline is the best for now. but L is a bit large for me and M is a bit smallā€¦
Iā€™m going to give S400 a try
BTW can I ask whats your main IEM for now?

Unique Melody MEST MK I (but only for a month, so after I got rid of Olina), Mangird Tea MK I, Letshouer S12 + KZ CRN as a work beater.

Olina is really amazing piece of gear (especially for given price) and I was evaluating for a very long time whether to sell this, Tea or S12. In the end I decided to keep Tea as there is something right in its dark treble and S12 as it is well made, fun tuned with planar sauce IEM and it is just something else to keep in any collection.
The only problem with Olina apart for hard to achieve seal was sometimes really shouty treble

4 Likes

I wonder if anyone has tried new shortbus mods?
he has 2 new mods.

1. removing dampers + PEQ
  2. shell modification

he claims that Olina + these mods = $600 IEM

1 Like

Got a link?

1 Like
4 Likes

Given that I think the Olina with the pair of stock filters ( the original short bus mod ) hangs with most of the $300 IEMs I have heard, it isnā€™t too surprising that way more complicated mods can squeeze additional performance out of them.

I have been thinking about getting another pair, just to play with them, and see what I can do. I have been messing around with EQ in an attempt to create tone similar to other IEMs, but I think doing more with require physical mods of some sort.

2 Likes