Unique Melody Mest

Don’t know the seller but the best MEST?..

1 Like

If I were to ever spend over $2k on a set, it would probably be these. I’ve always loved the look and of course, from reviews they must sound great.

1 Like

I wholeheartedly agree. I’d be in the same boat if my MEST II wasn’t already in custom form.

Did anyone try MEST with Sony A series DAPs? I look at A105 specifically as it seems that there is a way to make its’ battery life at least bearable be heave debloating and I need streaming in my use case.

MEST + NW-A55L is quite nice pairing I could tell you (don’t mind the oxidized cable)

1 Like

Ok, now I can tell that my mind is blown away by the shear amount of details being thrown around in the air, by the number of layers of the sound (tell me about coherency, but I never cared about that honestly) and by not being tiring. I can really focus on one particular quasi-source of sound and track it down during the duration of the sound as a separate thing! It is as you could divide the sound signal into the separate signals for each instrument/vocal.

This impression was immediate while listening to very good mastering of Rumours by Fleetwood Mac (w.g Don’t Stop). I felt bombarded with different parts of the sound that I never heard before while knowing this recording forever. This is simply amazing and truly Unique. I am afraid to go back to S12 and Tea now…

But.

MEST are truly extremely fit/tip and probably source and file dependant. It changes the signature like a chameleon from great, but not 1k $ great to really outstanding being worth all the money IMO.

The next thing which is more of a lesson learned to me - I expected being mind blown by them immediately when pushed in ear. That was not the case for whole day when I was listening casually while being at work. I was afraid that I got taken away by some random hype train… But in the evening I sat down, closed my eyes and started to listen consciously. And then I realized how much it is in this set! Long story short - for casual listening just KZ CRN would be good enough. It is only if you care and have time that it makes sense to buy more expensive stuff like that in my current view.

Do I have that much time though?

8 Likes

Whenever I listen to other good IEMs, I wonder what is better about the MEST. When I directly compare them I usually find the MEST to be the best, but just going from memory and not having a direct comparison, a lot of other IEMs are “good enough” to be endgame at a much lower price imho.

1 Like

You are lead MEST antishiller and I get that. It’s SQ to price ratio is close to zero knowing stuff like Olina, S12 or even CRN, CRA and Mele exist for magnitude lower cost. You get like 80% of what Mest can do literały for 30$ now

2 Likes

I would say that you pay huge luxury tax buying stuff like kilobucks earphones, but it is not very different in audiophile hobby than in other branches. Just like you can get the shit done and delivered by Dacia Logan similarly to the way it would be with Porsche Cayenne.
Or better (or much worse probably) - look at the watchmaking hobby and time telling

1 Like

Yes, going custom with the MEST was worth it for me because it is so dependent on tips and insertion depth.

Custom is an entirely different experience versus universal, in the best kind of way, and I highly recommend folks make the jump if they can + really want to.

1 Like

Have a hiby R3 PRO SABER for my mest OG
Is that significant enough for the OG or should I upgrade To mx3

Has anyone tried the Mest Mk2 with Moondrop spring tips?

I had the Moondrop Variations some time ago and liked it much less than I hoped for (not bad, I just had too high expectations and think the Timeless was the better set). Before selling them I gave them a second try with the spring tips and they solved pretty much all problems I had with them. Ever since I thought I should try those tips with the Mk2, because as much as I like the Mest Mk2 I always found the vocal presentation lacking. I’d wish vocals would be a bit more forward. But until today I never got around to it.

I just did 15 min or so of listening, but to me the tonality with spring tips sound a little less warm and a bit more analytical and the vocals are still not as forward as on the timeless, but at a mucher better place than before. Before I was using the stock silicon tips with the blue steam (I think they are called UM blue heart tips). With the spring tips I also seem to get a deeper fit (i.e. the Mest shell sticks out less).

Overall I think I will stick with the spring tips on the Mest… but now my Chu is naked :smiley:

I don’t know about MKII, but for me vocals never sounded better (in any set) than with OG with Xelastecs (that you recommended to me) on. They are not excessively forward but just in the right place for me.
Spring tips were unusable as they are too little rigid and they do collapse everytime I push them far in my ear and I loose seal. I may have them in too large size though for that set.

1 Like

When I got the MK2, I was wondering if I made the wrong decision and if I should’ve gotten the MK1 instead. But I think the main problem may just be my personal anatomy. I had the similiar problem with the Variations: Everyone was talking about ephemeral treble, that I couldn’t hear. Now that I think about it: I despised the Blessing 2, which had a similiar deep fit and was completely lacking >7khz for me.

I have been listening to the Mk2 with the spring tips for the last hour or so. For me the bass is a litte less with the spring tips, but it is still very good. The treble is in a much better place. I always felt somewhat conflicted about the Mest Mk2: on one hand I was always somewhat disappointed with the vocal replay (especially for that price), but overall it is still the best IEM I have heared to date despite that flaw. I think the spring tips resolve my issue, which after months of owning the Mest may finally make it a true upgrade from the timeless and a true endgame :smiley:

4 Likes

UM MK2 Summer Sale - $999

3 Likes

You can boost the 1-3kHz range by a 2dB, that helped immensely for me. It just opened it up and unleashed some suppressed resolution and energy in that area.

Now what Tips did I prefer… I think generally the spring tips and spiral dots worked best for me.

It was slightly too boosted in the presence area for me as well as being a bit too “hifi” in the bass. Hifi meaning slightly dry and controlled to the point of disengaging me from the music.

2 Likes

any recs for sources to run my mest mk2 off of? (portable)
currently looing at the Woo Audio WA11 Topaz since it’s on sale and I can use a 5% off coupon

Just got Mest Mk2, absolutely love them, everything people were saying above about how music should be etc, 100%.

Anyway random question, the Xelastecs that come with them, in the box, anyone know the sizes? I am guessing the middle were plain Medium? They fit me perfect

EDIT: My box didnt show it, but I found outs its ss/ms/m

2 Likes

they scale up very good. On Mojo2 they are excellent.

They are medium only. I need to get the small ones.