Unique Melody Mest

Omg, I am really sorry for you :frowning:
That is honestly very bad design choice to select those sticking out QDC connectors for any kind of IEM, but this is especially questionable for so expensive ones. Any kind of side force on the connector is directly applying stress on those thin plastic walls around the 0.78mm holes.
In standard socket the male cable pins are compromised instead and there is risk of them getting stucked in the female socket, but the risk is heavily reduced if the socket is recessed slightly.

This sole reason was holding me back for a while while I was wondering to buy or not to buy MEST.
In fact there are MEST revision with normal recessed socket, but quite rare it seems

3 Likes

But as @blanche said - use very tiny drop of cyanoacrylate and pinch the parts together to fix them back in place.
Don’t insert the connector inside of the socket for couple of minutes at least afterwards, as superglues may not cure immediately unless you cut off the air by the connector and the moisture in the air is not high enough (being in India it should not be a problem though…). And that could potentially cause you to have your cable fixed forever

Edit: maybe some local RC club, hearing aid technicians or watchmakers could help you out in this precision type of work for couple of rupees

Edit 2: yet another “good” idea in this crisis if you have couple of $$# is to buy some second hand KZs and train gluing first on that (pinch it with pliers to reproduce the damage)

2 Likes

Use of this term grants you +1 Intelligence.

4 Likes

Sorry, I just operate with glues in general daily, did not want to sound like smartass.
That and the fact that I pumped up my knowledge of useless words stats while creating character

5 Likes

UM is a very nice company! First emailed andrew who pointed me to Ms Liu .

My mest is out of warranty but they said the fix is free ! I just need to pay the shipping and return! Also i learned i have to declare the item is being shipped for repair to avoid customs! So shipping round trip will be about 140-160 USD . And will take 3-4 weeks .

Probably will get it fix once it’s totally broken and not useable . Also thinking while its out there with UM why not get it reshelled for $300USD so going start saving again and might get that done while its out.

The mest OG still gives me wow factors with its imaging and stage while I explore different genre of music! So no need to chase IEM ! Just reshell it and be super happy till i can afford a indigo/ Elysian X or trailii

7 Likes

Ms Liu was my rep as well and she handled things splendidly.

I usually have a lot of concern over doing anything international, but with UM that is totally negated because they do such a great job (especially for a company whose first language is not English)

1 Like

Got to audition the meXt for 48hours , i like the mest OG better.

1 Like

Mind sharing your impressions a bit more when you get the chance? :slight_smile:

1 Like

Please as well. I’d love to know more about the differences of the MEXT vs the MEST OG.

Did you give your brain time to properly adjust?

I would love to but I am in no such way a audiophile nor
Know the terms very well, I just LOVE all genre of music from A-Z and like listening to music that is identical to the original studio sound . All I can tell you is I heard the difference when listening to my library and the Mest OG sounded alot better and suited me well with its imaging ,soundstage and details

I had it for 48hours and listen to 15 albums during that time frame. As well as tip rolling the SD ++ , azla light short , and xelastic with 11 test audiophile tracks for about 2 hours to figure out which sounded best.

2 Likes

That’s why we let mental burn-in and tip rolling happen! it all goes with the experience. Glad you found the MEST OG, and love it so much. It’s a wonderful piece of kit!

2 Likes

Don’t know the seller but the best MEST?..

1 Like

If I were to ever spend over $2k on a set, it would probably be these. I’ve always loved the look and of course, from reviews they must sound great.

1 Like

I wholeheartedly agree. I’d be in the same boat if my MEST II wasn’t already in custom form.

Did anyone try MEST with Sony A series DAPs? I look at A105 specifically as it seems that there is a way to make its’ battery life at least bearable be heave debloating and I need streaming in my use case.

MEST + NW-A55L is quite nice pairing I could tell you (don’t mind the oxidized cable)

1 Like

Ok, now I can tell that my mind is blown away by the shear amount of details being thrown around in the air, by the number of layers of the sound (tell me about coherency, but I never cared about that honestly) and by not being tiring. I can really focus on one particular quasi-source of sound and track it down during the duration of the sound as a separate thing! It is as you could divide the sound signal into the separate signals for each instrument/vocal.

This impression was immediate while listening to very good mastering of Rumours by Fleetwood Mac (w.g Don’t Stop). I felt bombarded with different parts of the sound that I never heard before while knowing this recording forever. This is simply amazing and truly Unique. I am afraid to go back to S12 and Tea now…

But.

MEST are truly extremely fit/tip and probably source and file dependant. It changes the signature like a chameleon from great, but not 1k $ great to really outstanding being worth all the money IMO.

The next thing which is more of a lesson learned to me - I expected being mind blown by them immediately when pushed in ear. That was not the case for whole day when I was listening casually while being at work. I was afraid that I got taken away by some random hype train… But in the evening I sat down, closed my eyes and started to listen consciously. And then I realized how much it is in this set! Long story short - for casual listening just KZ CRN would be good enough. It is only if you care and have time that it makes sense to buy more expensive stuff like that in my current view.

Do I have that much time though?

8 Likes

Whenever I listen to other good IEMs, I wonder what is better about the MEST. When I directly compare them I usually find the MEST to be the best, but just going from memory and not having a direct comparison, a lot of other IEMs are “good enough” to be endgame at a much lower price imho.

1 Like

You are lead MEST antishiller and I get that. It’s SQ to price ratio is close to zero knowing stuff like Olina, S12 or even CRN, CRA and Mele exist for magnitude lower cost. You get like 80% of what Mest can do literały for 30$ now

2 Likes

I would say that you pay huge luxury tax buying stuff like kilobucks earphones, but it is not very different in audiophile hobby than in other branches. Just like you can get the shit done and delivered by Dacia Logan similarly to the way it would be with Porsche Cayenne.
Or better (or much worse probably) - look at the watchmaking hobby and time telling

1 Like