Unique Melody Mest

Yes, going custom with the MEST was worth it for me because it is so dependent on tips and insertion depth.

Custom is an entirely different experience versus universal, in the best kind of way, and I highly recommend folks make the jump if they can + really want to.

1 Like

Have a hiby R3 PRO SABER for my mest OG
Is that significant enough for the OG or should I upgrade To mx3

Has anyone tried the Mest Mk2 with Moondrop spring tips?

I had the Moondrop Variations some time ago and liked it much less than I hoped for (not bad, I just had too high expectations and think the Timeless was the better set). Before selling them I gave them a second try with the spring tips and they solved pretty much all problems I had with them. Ever since I thought I should try those tips with the Mk2, because as much as I like the Mest Mk2 I always found the vocal presentation lacking. Iā€™d wish vocals would be a bit more forward. But until today I never got around to it.

I just did 15 min or so of listening, but to me the tonality with spring tips sound a little less warm and a bit more analytical and the vocals are still not as forward as on the timeless, but at a mucher better place than before. Before I was using the stock silicon tips with the blue steam (I think they are called UM blue heart tips). With the spring tips I also seem to get a deeper fit (i.e. the Mest shell sticks out less).

Overall I think I will stick with the spring tips on the Mestā€¦ but now my Chu is naked :smiley:

I donā€™t know about MKII, but for me vocals never sounded better (in any set) than with OG with Xelastecs (that you recommended to me) on. They are not excessively forward but just in the right place for me.
Spring tips were unusable as they are too little rigid and they do collapse everytime I push them far in my ear and I loose seal. I may have them in too large size though for that set.

1 Like

When I got the MK2, I was wondering if I made the wrong decision and if I shouldā€™ve gotten the MK1 instead. But I think the main problem may just be my personal anatomy. I had the similiar problem with the Variations: Everyone was talking about ephemeral treble, that I couldnā€™t hear. Now that I think about it: I despised the Blessing 2, which had a similiar deep fit and was completely lacking >7khz for me.

I have been listening to the Mk2 with the spring tips for the last hour or so. For me the bass is a litte less with the spring tips, but it is still very good. The treble is in a much better place. I always felt somewhat conflicted about the Mest Mk2: on one hand I was always somewhat disappointed with the vocal replay (especially for that price), but overall it is still the best IEM I have heared to date despite that flaw. I think the spring tips resolve my issue, which after months of owning the Mest may finally make it a true upgrade from the timeless and a true endgame :smiley:

4 Likes

UM MK2 Summer Sale - $999

3 Likes

You can boost the 1-3kHz range by a 2dB, that helped immensely for me. It just opened it up and unleashed some suppressed resolution and energy in that area.

Now what Tips did I preferā€¦ I think generally the spring tips and spiral dots worked best for me.

It was slightly too boosted in the presence area for me as well as being a bit too ā€œhifiā€ in the bass. Hifi meaning slightly dry and controlled to the point of disengaging me from the music.

2 Likes

any recs for sources to run my mest mk2 off of? (portable)
currently looing at the Woo Audio WA11 Topaz since itā€™s on sale and I can use a 5% off coupon

Just got Mest Mk2, absolutely love them, everything people were saying above about how music should be etc, 100%.

Anyway random question, the Xelastecs that come with them, in the box, anyone know the sizes? I am guessing the middle were plain Medium? They fit me perfect

EDIT: My box didnt show it, but I found outs its ss/ms/m

2 Likes

they scale up very good. On Mojo2 they are excellent.

They are medium only. I need to get the small ones.

The reviews I listened to on the Mest Mk2 had people a bit disappointed with a few things:

• driver flex
  • coherency

Canā€™t speak to either but wondering if both are legitimate complaints with the Mk2 ? I think coherency was specifically around the bone conductor driver and perhaps the interplay with Estat or treble region where the instruments sounded un-natural in placement and timbre. That the 4 driver types didnā€™t integrate that well as one sound for certain sections of music.

1 Like

nothing coherency wise that I noticed on mine but a lot of people do prefer a single driver

2 Likes

MEST needs a lot of burn in time.

1 Like

I also have not noticed any coherency issues, but I think that Iā€™m a bit less sensitive to it than others.

Absolutely love my mest OG and dont see any need to sell and buy something else in the 1k below price range so have it as my ONLY IEM for myself til i can afford the 1.5K-2K range but want to know if the hiby R3 pro saber is enough to push my mest OG or should I upgrade? And what would be a significant upgrade to the R3PS $400-600usd wise ? I can go all out and buy a mojo 2 / gryphon but do I really want/need too ? Whats a quarter step down from the mojo 2 gryphon dac/amp ?

I run my MkII off my R3 pro when Iā€™m not on my desk rig, and I think thatā€™s plenty; the MEST is already a very sensitive IEM so it doesnā€™t take a lot of juice to make them sing. I say donā€™t worry about upgrading the DAP unless youā€™ve really got the itch for a new toy.

1 Like

What about if I add a portable amp to go along with the R3PS ? Maybe xcan as they are pretty cheap these days ā€¦
I am no mean a expert audiophile but i do LOVE music and want to hear my Led Zeppelin to tupac the way it sounded in the studio. Iā€™ve read many post were they said upgrading your source opens up the stage,fuller notes adds texture bass all those audiophile words by upgrading dac/amp and that Is the reason Iā€™m sniffing around as I dont want to upgrade the OG at all but would love to see if there another level to the OG that I havent heard yet because of the R3PS holding it back.

Might be wrong in my theory and what I understand I read as Iā€™m totally new to this still so please do excuse me!

Thank you!

personally I didnā€™t notice any differences between something like a Hiby R5 and a FIIO K9 with mine so unless your going for a much higher price range it likely wonā€™t be anything worthwhile (diminishing returns)

2 Likes

Needs a smooth source to blend the drivers together, the right eartips (for the MEST, tips affect sound to a huge degree) and an EQ boost from 2-4kHz to bring out detail and life.

Do this and it becomes Godlike imo.

2 Likes