Unique Melody Mest

Well I gave into temptation and bought the Mest from musicteck aaaannnnndddd Audeze had their Bstock sale so I have the i4 coming as well. This should be a fun sound stage comparison as so far nothing I’ve heard for iems beats my i3 for having a huge stage.
BTW this is an awesome thread with a wealth of info for tip rolling, not just for the mest.

7 Likes

Oh the mest came in and I have them burning in. I’m really liking what I’m hearing, really surprised the timber sounds very natural for a multi driver iem.

3 Likes

Do you notice coherency issues with the drivers?

There is a little bit depending on how they are fitted in my ears but I’m getting more tips in to try and solve that. Mainly it just seems like there is more bass on my left side. I will note I am still burning these in so I haven’t done any critical listening yet.

1 Like

Can you explain what coherency issue means . I heard the mest OG has that .

It’s a noticeable difference of different drivers handling different frequencies.

….

2 Likes

And now 40% off…

8 Likes

That is a sweet, sweet price for those!

I have the OG and i love how it sound all weird and wonky ! Specially the crazy imaging and detail it gives off where i swear instruments float around and change! Its Just like how the noble KK or the fourte sounds all weird!! I love it! . Is makes me so engaged in the music and wants me to explore my whole (extremely large) library of music to see how everything sounds.

2 Likes

I have exact same feeling about OG. In general if you look at the most favourite sets all around they are having something off differentiating them from typical “proper” tuning. As there are dozens of “properly” tuned IEMs already everywhere even in 20$ range

If there is an ultimate influencer S tier list?..then I reckon it would be between…Anole VX, U12T and Z1R that’ll give you a good idea of solidly tuned IEM’s depending on library and driver preferences of course.

2 Likes

I’m not hear anything as incoherence, it’s actually quite good compared to my mammoths. Busy rock music is pretty spectacular with instrument/vocal separation, where the mammoth would struggle with mid and midbass separation.

8 Likes

Yeah these are quickly becoming a favorite. The bass inside my head is very addictive when watching TV/movies. Definitely give bone conduction a chance if you never have.

3 Likes

So between the mest and my i3s over ear headphones are starting to become irrelevant. Ugh I’m going to have to thin out my collection.

3 Likes

Honestly obsessed with these now. They’ve taken over my life.

11 Likes

I was just recently able to hear the OG Mest side by side with Mest MK2 and I have to say that I actually preferred the OG version. Mk2 seemed to be trying to take a very unique sound signature and make it more mainstream and in the process it lost some of the things that make OG such a stand out to me. I have to admit that this is coming from a guy who tends to appreciate outliers that create a niche for themselves, though.

5 Likes

I’ve heard some people say this as well. Most noticeably, I’ve heard people say that the MKI actually has a more spacious sound stage, what are your thoughts? You can typically pick up a MKI for fairly short money on the 2nd hand market if you catch it quickly enough.

2 Likes

Cool! Good to know I’m not the only one. Yes, the soundstage on the OG seemed to be wider, though I felt like depth was pretty much the same. I actually also thought the separation was superior on the OG too.

I actually checked some recent used prices on headfi and a couple from various sites through hifishark and you can definitely grab the OG for some pretty good prices these days. They are a bit of a one trick pony, IMO, but they do that trick VERY well. I was actually considering grabbing one, but the Prestige essentially looked like it could potentially solve my issues with Monarch which made it too good to pass up and now I’m tapped out for the moment lol! :joy:

Seriously though, I’ll probably pick one up when I come across a good deal on one next. Have you tried either of them? Thoughts?

1 Like

You’re definitely not alone in your assessment, brother. It seems like they line up pretty well with the general consensus on the MKI v. MKII.

You and I are actually in the same boat lol I think the Prestige, pending a few more reviews, could just go ahead and live alongside my Monarch IIs. I need to hear some more A/B testing. The treble on the prestige seems a bit more boosted than I would normally want, however, I trust Thie with their tuning more so than any other company I’d say. They’ve yet to make a total brick of an IEM from what I can remember. Speaking on the MEST though, what would you say that trick is?

I’ve seriously considered picking up a MEST MkII a few times, just because of their 2nd hand prices and how the market tanked for the set not long after release. I’ve seen a few on Head-Fi for around $800 which is insane to me. I’ve yet to try either unfortunately, but both of em’ are on my must-try-before-I-die list for sure.

3 Likes