Unique Melody Mest

For me, yeah. And that’s not a super-easy call to make, but U12T’s big thing (for me) is the bass–it’s still remarkable to me that UI12T delivers the combination of super-clean bass with DD style impact.

But MEST just has a DD and does both phenomenal bass and the funky MEST-imaging. And costs less.

I wouldn’t recommend to anyone who owns U12T to trade down, but I would recommend auditioning MEST and making a call. I like my MEST more than my U12T now, but it’s a preference thing more than sheer chops.

1 Like

Also dropping a note here (as a “reminder to self”) to come back when I have something to report on MEST MkII:

I won’t run down the full list of features just yet–they’re behind the store link above, and not even on Unique Melody’s page yet. However, key changes include a shell redesign and a new, more full-frequency, double-sided bone conductor. Are these key improvements? Or has the original magic been thrown out of balance and lost? No idea, but I’m in a unique position to find out.

I have been working on acquiring custom MEST for my wife and myself since early December (they were going to be holiday presents), but first I had to wait nearly a month for an audiologist appointment, then my appointment was canceled due to bad COVID numbers, and now that I’ve just managed to reschedule my appointment this revision shows up. So now I need to decide whether I proceed with OG customs or MkII.

Timing is such that there are no MkII reviews available for me to guess at whether I should try MkII customs. And even if there were reviews I’d be guessing based on secondhand accounts. Meanwhile, MusicTeck is supposed to be getting in some MkII universals any day now, so I decided to get a little crazy and do my own homework. So, I’ve ordered a set of MkIIs and plan to do some A-B with the OGs and see which one I want in customs. My wife will be doing the same; I’ll post each of our thoughts here once we figure out what we each like.

5 Likes

You can do auditions through MusicTeck if you want to listen before you buy

1 Like

great news, any ETA?

2 Likes

Fair enough, though I’m happy to assume the risk of a purchase in this case–based on how much I like MEST and how many people might benefit from some early impressions. This way I don’t have to give them back. If they end up being the “New Coke” of IEMs I suppose I can flip them. And if they end up being awesome, then I’ll have both versions handy for demos and reference.

MusicTeck expects these in around the 20th, and I bought with overnight shipping. Fingers crossed for Monday? Either way, I will probably want a little time with them to evaluate, so maybe mid next week for thoughts.

5 Likes

MEST MkII have landed!

They showed up on Wednesday, actually, and I’ve spent the last couple of days desperately trying to figure out which version to choose for the customs I’m in the process of ordering.

The OG MEST caught my ear due to absolutely breathtaking staging and imaging. There was always some wonkiness with the sound, but it was more of a flavor than a flaw. It was the OG that convinced me I needed custom MEST.

The MkII has a redesigned (more ergonomic) shell, and a dual-sided bone conductor that now engages across the full frequency range instead of the mids-to-upper-mids of the OG bone conductor. The tuning has been adjusted somewhat–one thing that concerned me was UM’s statement that MkII has more bass and sub-bass. Well, it’s true. MEST MkII are absolute bass monsters–and that’s not a bad thing! They also dialed back the treble.

The result is something that reminds me of 6xx tuning with Fostex levels of bass and similarly magical staging to the original. At first I missed the laser-fine treble detail of the OG MEST, but over the past couple days the MkII has really grown on me. It does seem like a more refined and mature tuning overall, despite being further from my own (usual) preferences. Nevertheless, it works. I am fine with way too much bass, lol.

The thing is, MkII bass is extremely well controlled–it’s not muddy and doesn’t overwhelm tracks, even when I can feel the sub-bass punching me in the spine. When a track calls for powerful bass, MEST delivers what feels like a wearable subwooofer. But when bass is just another element that’s meant to anchor a track with a little weight, MkII will step aside and let the rest of the track shine. Bass still ranges from grippy lows with every ripple both audible and tactile to the fluffiest of soft, deep lows. It’s a cliche test track, but “Why So Serious?” feels more like a theater experience than just listening to a song. The sub bass is absolutely nuts, while finer details are fully isolated and accessible.

Mids also have a lot more body to them, and I think that’s what’s winning me over to MkII more than anything else. Coupled with the bass, music is more powerful and alive. Meanwhile, the tamed highs are reminiscent of the smoothing effect of good tubes. There is still detail, and high treble is absolutely still there–it just isn’t piercing. Some higher frequency elements sit back in the track more than they do on OG MEST, but the net effect seems more even keeled.

Overall, MEST MkII is an intriguing new take on the original. Crucially, the imaging is still spectacular on MkII. Both versions are spellbinding listens. Each probably speaks to different preferences. I’m still undecided which version to choose for my customs–I started out pretty firmly in the OG camp, but the more time I’ve spent with MkII, the more it’s winning me over.

12 Likes

So, MEST (especially MKII) users: is it really only (or “best”) for acoustic-type music? I’ve seen several references implying such at head-fi, and a friend just got his hands on a used pair of original MEST and he indicated similar.

Is MEST just not great with electronic (ambient, chillout, house, trance) and instrumental jazz?

I only was able to audition the original MEST and I didn’t enjoy it as much for electronic music although I don’t generally listen to the chill side of electronic music (only on occasion and didn’t try it with the MEST). It sounds best when there are natural instruments involved. When my friend played a live track of a jazz performance that he was at, he said it sounded like he was there when he used the MEST. Me personally, the original MEST didn’t have enough bass for me, but MKII might be up my ally.

1 Like

COOL!!!
My wallet doen’t like you bc the Mrk.II sounds like a tuning I would like and even more than the OG. But the best way to hear about the Mrk.II is from someone who has the OG.
Good work and thx for sharing :+1: :blush:

3 Likes

Wait, what? If anything, I feel acoustic is where mest performes the worst. While its timbre is very very good, its at times missing that last 1-2% to feel truly lifelike. Imo, mest is a very good all arounder iem. Yhere is nothing I have ever felt it handled poorly but there are at time traits I prefer for certain songs if I can have absalutely anything I want (for example, I like overly lush and intimate mids for country, where as the mids on mest, while quite full bodied and natural, are less overtly flavored than my preference).

Fwiw, ambient/chillhop/synthwave/other background musics make up an easy 50% of my mest listening by time. I find it preforms excellently here with the sole exception of certain ambient artists such as Jia Peng Fang who’s treble focused instrument choices make me prefer slightly smoother and arrier highs

1 Like

I agree with you about the timbre. I’m totally spoiled by Susvara for acoustic / classical / scores / anything heavy with natural instruments. By that standard, nothing else is as real. MEST is very good, but at times it’s not quite there.

See, for me there is–and it started right off the bat: the first track I tried on OG MEST was “Them Bones” (obligatory pun) by Alice in Chains. The mids are definitely lifeless, and soundstage / imaging don’t really do much to help that track. Unplugged, on the other hand, sounds incredible because of the spatial aspects of the recording.

My experience with OG MEST is very similar to my experience with Eikons: they’re among my favorite headphones for vocals and acoustic music, and they perform quite well with most material, but once in a while I find a track where they kinda clash. Same with OG MEST–maybe 90% of tracks are excellent, another 5+% are absolutely mind-blowing, and the last few are, well, passable, like “Them Bones.”

FWIW, I’m finding MkII to be better as an all-rounder–I’ve yet to find a track that doesn’t work with them. I revisited “Them Bones” last night (after rocking out to “Back in Black”), and the mids are there full force, making both tracks the pounding rock anthems they should be.

Yeah, I’ve yet to have issues with anything in those genres. In fact, more chill tracks with less going on are very easy to mentally navigate and take in every piece.

I worried that the bass in MkII might overwhelm some more laid back tracks; on a whim I tried “Orinoco Flow” last night, and that turned out to be an incredible listen. The background music decays exquisitely, painting the shape of the space as it does, and the extra warmth in the mids give that background the perfect amount of body. Meanwhile, Enya’s vocals are front and center, wonderfully textured and wholly separate from the background.

That surprises me, as well. Some of the best matches on OG MEST for me include Nine Inch Nails, and all manners of electronic music (especially house & anything by Boris Brejcha). With electronic music my minor quibbles about timbre drop away, because artificial electronic sounds have a lot more wiggle room to sound “right.”

MkII can almost be too much at times for extreme bass–certainly much more than my normal preference–but mids are similarly powerful, and the bass is uber clean, so it’s not really a problem.

Anyway, anything live is going to sound exceptional with either MEST because the recordings are chock full of spatial information, and that’s MEST’s specialty.

2 Likes

Hmmm, I didn’t listen to that style of electronic music with the MEST. I could see it working, but I think in general I prefer more bass quantity when I listen to what electronic music I listen to which leans towards dance/popish rather than more chill which I consider house to be. If it means anything, I have the Legend X (new so no break in time) and I add as much bass boost as I can on my RME ADI 2 DAC FS to get the desired bass quantity. I sometimes did the same when I had the IER-Z1R.

I might say take my opinion on the MEST with a grain of salt because I only had 3 days to audition it so all I have are impressions. The comfort of them may have affected my opinion of them drastically since the intl version is the most uncomfortable IEM I have ever worn lol (And I had the IER-Z1R). My main impression of them was they are a solid detailed warm tilted neutral IEM. Identifying timbre is not my strongest suit since a good majority of the music I listen to incorporates some sort of electronic aspect to it.

I am hoping to audition the MEST MKII and see if my opinions change

1 Like

Well, from what you’re saying, it really sounds like MkII are going to be up your alley. The bass is RIDICULOUS. And in a fantastic way. The punch is heftier than any IEM I’ve heard, and bass detail is pretty top tier.

I normally don’t prefer warm or V tunings, but what I really don’t like is extra bass coloring every track, bleeding into the mids, etc. But MEST MkII are dropping incredible amounts of clean bass, and it’s incredible–like the subwooder in my theater: the room shakes and you can feel the airwaves ripple.

This track on MEST MkII about broke my mind, lol:

It’s a perfect audition track for MkII; it plays to all of its strengths: powerful sub bass; rich, warm bass; powerful mids; pinpoint imaging; holographic staging.

That was the final sell for me: I’m getting my customs in MkII. :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Aaaaaaaaah, well I’ll add that to my next purchase lol. Do you have a second place punchiest IEM? Just in case so I have a reference point.

Oddly enough neither do I. I have been on the search in general for a great L shaped IEM, but it’s really hard to pull off and Legend X is the closest to it that I have heard. I love lots of bass, but don’t like too warm of an audio experience 95% of the time which removes majority of bass heavy audio gear. Best alternative I have found is using hardware bass boost from something like RME ADI 2 DAC FS or iFi iDSD BL into a great warm neutral IEM.

Wo…

I would definitely be interested in hearing if the customs are worth it. I got 3 customs, but my ears are weird and always needed 2-4 refits for each. I am kind of tired of getting refits lol.

Are none of you worried about how CIEM’s can lose their fit over time?
I talked to a audiologist for impressions to CIEM’s and he said, they normally say they last 3-4 years for mosy people, then the ear has changed enough, so you can feel a change in fit.

I guess the solution is a refit, in case that is offered by the seller.

Yeah one of my customs is starting to not fit as well and I got it about 3.5 years ago. Thing is they are super comfy when they fit and I imagine the MEST benefits more from being custom due to the bone conduction driver.

I think with my experience with customs, the MEST might be the only IEM I would consider getting custom anymore unless the custom I want doesn’t have a canal.

1 Like

I know with 64Audio you can get a refit of the CIEM, but then you need a new impression and the refitting, so a new cost.
With Mest, I don’t know if this is possible.

1 Like

Lol.

Campfire Atlas immediately comes to mind. U12T also has excellent bass, but Atlas is more of an exaggerated tuning. U12T reaches a little lower, I think, and definitely has tighter bass, but Atlas is a deliberate bass cannon tuning.

Neither of these IEMs can hit like MEST MkII. Not even close. The physicality is on another level. U12T might have a little bit better control (that is its standout feature, after all), but MEST’s muscle on the low end leaves U12T bass feeling anemic by comparison. Atlas is closer to keeping up on bass quantity, but the mids are recessed, sub-bass has nowhere near the energy of MEST, and Atlas bass is less detailed / grippy.

Still sounds like MkII is worth an audition. It is certainly warm, but I think much of that warmth comes from bone conduction. It’s not a congested warmth at all. Coupled with MEST imaging, you still get exceptional separation of track elements. I don’t know (haven’t heard) Legend X, unfortunately, so cant comment on similarities or differences. I will say, though, that thick powerful mids are a definite plus for me—one of the most compelling changes from OG to MkII.

I’ll post more thoughts when my customs come in. Estimate is about 2-3 weeks. I am already pretty sold on the idea given my experience with my K10 customs.

As a rule, I much prefer full sized headphones over IEMs, but Ive worn MEST to the point of making my ears sorr. So the bonus comfort of customs is a huge draw for me.

Sorry to hear about your fit troubles. My K10s are about 3 years old, I think, and still fit well.

Ah man, I really wish now I didn’t ask that question lol since it’s sounds like up my ally. I tried the Equinox Universal Demo (Demo of custom Atlas) and found it to be too warm for me and didn’t have the detail/clarity/airiness that I like. I have been eyeing the U12T for a long time since Precogvision loves them which is the reviewer I probably relate to the most on his opinions from other reviewers. Now I need to decide between MEST MkII and U12T. Does the MEST MKII and/or U12T sound “airy” to you? Not sure if that’s the right term, but it’s the best way I can describe it.

No worries, fortunately it was an IEM (Westone ES50) that I don’t really use anymore even when I got it.

As an overall IEM, would you pick the U12T or MEST MkII?