Unique Melody Mest

Cool, please do that.
I trust memebers here more than most reviewers :wink: and at the price range these are in, it is good to know as musch as possible.

2 Likes

Mehā€¦ Iā€™ll just post everything here. There are just my posts/replies to the member. Iā€™ll post this here since Iā€™m getting asked this a lot so maybe we can point anyone here with my impressions that would like to read them.

ā€¦

Great questions. Iā€™ll try to answer them.

All the Moondrops have the exact same shell and nozzle sizes.

The Monarch and the Variations have the same tuning style. A huge sub bass shelf (much more than the Tea) cutting down very early into the mids. The mids take a straight line into the pinna gain and the est drivers in both sets produce near treble perfection with clear detail with no sibilance or harshness.

The Monarch shell is just a bit too big for my left ear.

The Variations is around $230 less than the Monarch and the last I knew, youā€™ll be waiting about a month and a half till the Monarch gets to you from the time of ordering depending on where you live in the world.

I really donā€™t have a top pick. So much comes down to the individuals library and how they want to hear their music, or how they imagine their music might sound. Weā€™re just getting into (different) territory. I think lots of individuals out there are dreaming of something that doesnā€™t exist. For instance, for the quality of sound the Tea puts out for $300 bucks, to move up to the Monarch, youā€™re not actually getting $430 dollars worth of improvement to equal $730. The Monarch delivers est drivers for treble which I feel are a clear improvement but the overall tuning is just more extreme. The Monarch adds additional drivers in the areas where it needs it to pull off itā€™s more extreme/higher contrast tuning and retain as much detail as it has (the Monarch is very detailed). But to outright call it better isnā€™t right. Itā€™s different. As long as you prefer it more, thatā€™s all that matters, but nothing is downright better here when all of these IEMs are mostly all sharing the same drivers and driver technology. They are just tuned differently.

I actually wouldnā€™t rec the Monarch or Variations to people who listen to certain genres of music. The Clairvoyance is actually the more agreeable tuning for most genres of music. But in comparison, the Clairvoyance is not nearly as detailed as the Monarch, but then again, some people donā€™t care too much about detail. Iā€™d describe them like thisā€¦

Sub bass emphasis tuning - Monarch, Variations, Dusk

Safe tuning/most agreeable and closer to harman - Clairvoyance, Excalibur, Oracle

Unlike all other tribrid tuning - Xenns Up

Generally neutral tuning - Blessing 2, Mest MKII

I havenā€™t a/bā€™ed the Monarch and Variations so I donā€™t know. Iā€™ll just say they sound very similar and any difference will come down to personal preference.

For your music preferences, the Monarch or Variations will be the upgrade from the Tea youā€™re craving. Both will give you even more sub bass with better detail and impact with est treble which in my opinion is simply superior to BA treble.

If youā€™re interested in slam, look no further than the Dunu Zen. I just sold mine to a forum member who went through a lot of IEMs before he finally realized thatā€™s what he was looking for. Since heā€™s heard it, he hasnā€™t been able to stop talking about it and thanking me for the rec.

Thereā€™s a pro version coming out at some point, thatā€™s the only reason why I decided to give mine up for him. He also asked me to sell it to him.

8b298538e4a51baa65bb99fee3222f82b1677145_2_690x311

The Variations sub bass extension moves closer to the mids, so it will have more energy for kicks below 200 hz. All depends on the source. I didnā€™t realize the sub bass shelf were essentially identical. I thought the Variations had less sub bass. I always considered the Monarch sub bass elevation to be too much, but it is done so well, I love it and miss it when listening to anything else.

They both sound almost identical. The Variations feels a little bit thicker in the low end and the treble sounds smoother. The Variations feels more cohesive. The Monarch sounds overall more detailed slightly more crisp with higher contrast in imaging.

9 Likes

Hi hope everything is going great! I was curious what tips you prefer with your mest? I just got mine in yesterday and as far as the tips that come with it I think the azla tips sounds the best but get uncomfortable after a hour or so.

with my MEST MKII Iā€™m currently using the stock sedna (those with the blue stem), I have tried the Xelastec but didnā€™t like them.
have also tried some other tips, but the stock sedna seems the most comfortable for my ears.

Ok thanks! I didnā€™t know if spin fits would be a good alternative or something else.

I have tried Spinfit cp100 and cp145, soon will try cp500 and Sedna light (ordered).
cp100 and cp145 sound really strange, there is a slight boost in the bass that ruins IMHO the very beatiful bass linearity of MEST, and most of all there is a very strange spike in the upper midrange that make listening for long time very fatiguing (for me at least).

Spinfits are v-shaped.

They look circular to me. :wink:

4 Likes

yes, bass and upper-mids/highs accentuated.
work very well on Oracle, especially cp100, not on MEST.
not sure this can be said in general for every spinfit, for sure this is the sensation for cp100 and - to a lesser extent - cp145.

This is what Iā€™m playing with at the moment for tipsā€¦

3 Likes

Iā€™m interested in your thoughts :sunny:

Iā€™ve tried with these + the Xelastec provided with the MEST (+ some more not worth mentioning)

1 Like

Nice. Iā€™d use whatever feels and sounds the best for you. Itā€™s really personal preference.

4 Likes

I personally enjoyed the MEST MkII with Final E tips. They were comfortable and smoothed out the MkIIā€™s sound a bit which is what I preferred

3 Likes

How would you compare the soundstage of the u12t, og mest, mest mkii? Iā€™m a soundstage junky and looking for an IEM with a holographic soundstage.

Iā€™m forgetting how U12T stages, because I donā€™t reach for any IEMs besides MkII customs, if that tells you anything. I donā€™t recall it being overly big or too small, but I do recall imaging being excellent. They were the first IEM to finally dethrone Campfire Solaris for me.

U12T is probably the best fit if your ideal is a neutral, natural soundā€“a reference type experience where everything is presented in a clean, well-balanced manner. Itā€™s not at all ā€œdryā€ or ā€œclinicalā€ or any of the terms people use to describe tunings that favor neutrality to the point of sucking the life out of music. Just a very clean window into music.

OG MEST probably has the most holographic presentation, but it also has some (minor) issues. It doesnā€™t play well with all musicā€“the first track I played on mine was ā€œThem Bonesā€ by Alice in Chains, and that turned out to be kind of a terrible trackā€“the mids lack energy, making that song far less energetic than it ought to beā€“it was boring. Still, other tracks can be amazing; MEST made a name for itself for good reason.

MkII upgraded the bone conduction to a dual-sided, full range driver. Honestly, thatā€™s enough to make OG MEST obsolete for me, because MkII does play well with everything Iā€™ve thrown at it. Although many have said they donā€™t get the ā€œcrazy 3D thingā€ as much on MkII, itā€™s definitely still there, and definitely still wild with certain tracks. I have a whole playlist of stuff that shows off MkII staging plus the subwoofer-like bass.

Personally, I found the MkII universals a little darker than I prefer, but my customs have a more consistent presentation (almost certainly because of more consistent fit) and a bit better treble performance. Theyā€™re ā€œclose enoughā€ to perfect.

If holographic staging is your priority, MkII customs all the way. If you donā€™t want to jump straight into customs, get the unisā€“you can always have UM reshell them later.

3 Likes

Could you possible screenshot that list for those of us with Qobuz

Could you possibly screenshot that list for those of us without Qobuz

Here ya go:

This is sort of an active playlistā€“itā€™s curated for flow up to the Health + NIN track (ā€œISNā€™T EVERYONEā€). The rest of the tracks are tossed in there, and one of these days Iā€™ll make an effort to tweak the order for flow. If I canā€™t make stuff fit, I have a second playlist for leftovers.

ā€“

UPDATE: I decided to build a Tidal Version of the playlist, and as I did I collected SongLink links for all the tracks:

1. Simmer by Hayley Williams
  2. One More Week (Trip To India Mix) by Zac F
  3. supadupakulavibe by GRiZ
  4. Ruby Rap by Eric Serra [Fifth Element OST]
  5. Introduction by Kristofer Maddigan [Cuphead OST]
  6. Vertigo by Para One
  7. Letter from the Scallop Boat by Gwar
  8. Just Listen by Oceanlab
  9. Afterglow by Phaeleh
  10. Morning Prayer by Barty's Path
  11. A Poem For Byzantium by Delerium
  12. The Outside by twenty one pilots
  13. Ginger Lizard by Opiuo
  14. The Chemicals by Garbage, Brian Aubert
  15. THE PLAN by Travis Scott on TIDAL [Tenet OST]
  16. Golem II: The Bionic Vapour Boy by Mr. Bungle
  17. Supersonic (My Existence) by Skrillex, Noisia, josh pan, Dylan Brady
  18. Recursive self-improvement by How To Destroy Angels
  19. Transdermal Celebration by Ween
  20. Crush by Ethel Cain
  21. ISNā€™T EVERYONE by HEALTH, Nine Inch Nails [end of curated flow]
  22. One More Year by Tame Impala on TIDAL
  23. Long Legged Larry by Aesop Rock on TIDAL
  24. I'm Afraid of Americans (Nine Inch Nails V1 Mix) by David Bowie
  25. Gone (2021 Remaster) by Kosheen
  26. The Cisco Kid by War
  27. Feels Right by Biig Piig
  28. Falling Apart by Broods
  29. I Had This Thing by Rƶyksopp
  30. No Where by Rebel Souljahz [alternate selection by same artist]
  31. Oxytocin by Billie Eilish
7 Likes

Right on man thank you i appreciate it.

1 Like

since when I mounted the Sedna earfit light on the MKII I cannot stop listening, really pure blissā€¦ everything is perfect to my ears, just a magnificent sound, and I stop thinking about technicalities and just deep dive into the music :sunny: :sunny: thank you UM and Azla :pray:

3 Likes