Upgrade from DT770 PRO

Hi everyone,

While waiting for the new DAC/AMP to arrive (Questyle CMA400i - Thanks to @M0N for the recommendation :wink:) , I made some research on a new pair of headphones (currently I have a DT770 Pro 80 Ohm)
Before subscribing here, I was 100% for LCD2 Classic :slight_smile: ā€¦ but after reading tons and tons of pages here and on other forums, I think I might reconsider :slight_smile:
To wrap up the points that I would like to be taken care of my next pair of headphones:

• Comfort - to be lightweight (770 Pro has 284 g without cable, LCD2 C has 550g) and easy to wear them for hours, low clamping force
  • I listen to techno, trance, progressive 60% of my time, but sometimes depending on the mood, I really enjoy some good relaxing vocals like: Amber Rubarth, Yao Si Ting or some chillout / chill piano music.
  • I play games :slight_smile: - shooters especially. And I would like a good imaging pair of headphones, to better hear the footsteps & enemies. Also I think a good treble helps here (but not 100% sure)
  • Type: I had a closed pair , so I think I would go with a closed one. But I would not say no to an open one.
  • Budget - now here I would stretch to letā€™s say 900 Euros (Iā€™m in Europe), but I wouldnā€™t mind something at around 500E first :blush:
    What draw my attention were:
    Closed: Drop Ether C Flow Closed (650$ on drop using Z Reviews code at checkout), DT T5p (gen 2) ,DT 1770 Pro Closed, LCD2 C (I hate the weight and how hard the pads can be changed), Dan Clark Aeon 2 Closed (a bit too expensive but they look gorgeous)
    Open: Sundara, Sendy Aiva , Dan Clark Aeon Open X (500$ on Drop)

I hope I didnā€™t forget anything and thanks in advance for the upcoming feedback. :wink:

Iā€™d skip the ether CX, even at $650 and I own them.
Aeon 2 closed is a better choice, doesnā€™t have the stuff recorded in a shoebox sound at lower volumes apparently.
Focals are worth looking at Elegia for a closed back, a Clear if you can find one used, but they take getting used to from a comfort standpoint.

1 Like

Hmm, what sound signature are you actually going for? And are you looking for something more aggressive or laid back?

uh if you can give it a try and see it for yourself, why not try the Yamaha HPH-MT5s?

I had to make some research to see all the types of sound signatures explained :slight_smile:
So, In the end I think I will go with a warm sound signature. Bass and mids are elevated and higher frequencies lowered. Something laid back.

Regarding the Focal Elegia, Iā€™m not sure if the bass is at the desired level. From the reviews I saw that it is lower than what Iā€™m expecting.
Regarding Yamaha, I would prefer something from a higher tier so I can feel that I made an upgrade :slight_smile:

Perhaps consider a hifiman edition xx? Although itā€™s open if thatā€™s an issue.
You could look for a used or open box aeon 2 closed, that would be nice. The 2 classic you mention would suit your preferences well but would be heavier, but personally I would suggest the lcd 2 instead (look for a used fazor model with the new style headband). The dt177x go sound up your alley but I think those might get a tad harsh for your liking imo. I would say audioquest nighthawk carbon but those are getting harder to find at a good price (you want 300 and under for those)

1 Like

My mind is stuck on the Aeon 2 Closed ā€¦ donā€™t know why :blush: The design and weight is mind blowing :slight_smile: ā€¦ but I think for those I will have to wait a bit till the end of the year (maybe Black Friday) to have the full budget. Found it in a store in my town at 990 Euros. So definitely I need to wait a bit, but it will be on my list.

If I need to have a look at some open headphones till a 500E max, is there anything that I might find to match a bit the warm sound signature? I was looking at Sundara.

1 Like

If you want something warmer in that price range perhaps look at like a used beyerdynamic t1 mk2 or a used lcd 2 or 2 classic imo. Perhaps also an hd660s but that wouldnā€™t be my first choice unless you can get a good price on it

2 Likes

I found the HD660s new , at 360 Euros with shipping included. T1 mk2 new is around 750 Euros :slight_smile:
The used LCD2 is starting at around 500 Euros without shipping.

I recently was able to pick up a used set of Sundaras, and I love them. For my ears, the Sundaras are great for just about all music, but I do like them them for gaming. My current headphone set up is Sundara for most listening, Phillips Fidelio X2HR for gaming, DT770 when I need to block out noise.

I guess my point is if you want a do-it-all set of headphones, I donā€™t think the Sundara is it (even though it is a terrific headphone).

Personally I would say go lcd 2 at that price imo, and if you wanted less go senn

2 Likes

Indeed, the Sundaras are not the all arounder. That will be the DC Aeon 2 Closed, but I donā€™t have right now the budget for those :slight_smile:
I will check further for some used LCD 2 with the classic headbandā€¦

1 Like

Where do you even find an LCD-2 for 500 euros?! Thatā€™s way cheapā€¦

1 Like

I was looking here: https://www.hifishark.com/model/audeze-lcd-2
But indeed, even at 500 Euros is hard to find something :slight_smile:

P.S. Found an Audioquest NightOwl (so closed back) in good condition at around 270 Euros. How is it compared to the HD660s at 360 Euros new?

1 Like

Do you see any nighthawk carbons out there? The nightowl is somewhat meh imo, but the hawks are pretty special. They would have much more soundstage, a pretty different presentation, more impact overall, not as intimate as the 660, the 660s is going to be more of a bit more neutral and reference, where the hawk is going for a warmer fun sound. Personally I prefer the hawks but they arenā€™t for everyone, and itā€™s also not the most apples to apples comparison where the 660 is a more agreeable headphone for most and more leaning reference where the hawk is leaning for enjoyment

2 Likes

The issue with (what Iā€™ve seen in reviews) is that the night owls are more or less just normal headphones. A trusted not forum source confirms what M0N is saying about the night hawks being fun. Still, do some homework but itā€™s really hard to say Audioquest and not consider the Night Hawks.

In the end I chose the 660s to be on the ā€œsafer sideā€ with the sound :slight_smile:
Today they should arrive. Iā€™ll come back with the feedback :wink:

2 Likes

Nice, hopefully you enjoy them, curious to see your thoughts :+1:

The 660ā€™s were my next headphone after the 770 250ohm too.

Coming back with a short update:
I received them and I paired them with the Questyle CMA400i ā€¦

• the sound is more intimate, you can hear the voice right there in the front line :slight_smile: (itā€™s quite an experience to be honest)
  • the imaging is awesome (I didnā€™t play any game yet) ā€¦ but on ā€œAmber Rubarth ć…” A Kiss to Build a Dream Onā€ , I could really hear the breath and the position of the people playing at instruments.
  • I simply love how instruments sound
  • It has bass ā€¦I was afraid that it will sound flat for my taste :blush: . For example on The Prodigy - Invisible sun ā€¦ the bass is very present and overall sound itā€™s wider. On DT770Pro it was a bit muffled.

As a downsize , the clamping force is a bit strong but it is evenly distributed. I placed it over my Monitor Audio Bronze 2 speakers and itā€™s a bit loose now. I will leave it during the night and see tomorrow how it is.
Iā€™ve never had an open pair of headphones and it was a bit tricky at the beginning (after more than 7-8 years with closed ones), because I could hear myself when moving on the chair :slight_smile: , and different noises in the house :laughing:

2 Likes