Upgrade from K702 and G6

Having had a look on the Schiit website, If I order from the USA, I get a 5 year warranty however the UK website only offers 3 years. I’m unsure of costs or procedure if an RMA was required internationally.

I’ve been looking at the Liquid Spark as I can get that for less than half the price of the Asgard 3 but it may well be a sidestep (if that) from my Sound blaster G6.

Is there much difference between the Lake people G103-S and the Asgard 3? Whats the Heresy like?

Lake is similar but a bit more neutral less color. Side grade but still very good.

Heresy is like magni… I cant hear a difference between the two honestly but supposedly it’s more analytical and measurement based

After reading some of the reviews, It appears that what you say is the general consensus.
I’ve read a few issues of the Heresy burning up headphones due to a DC fault in the amp.
Apparently the IEMagni resolves this with DC protection built in. Some say its built the same as the Heresy but has a similar sound to the Asgard 3 so I’ve been looking at that.

I’ve now placed my order for the Asgard 3. Looking forward to receiving it!! Thanks for the input everyone!
I’ve also noticed that Amazon are selling the DT880 with 30% off at the minute taking it down to £95. I nearly bought them but haven’t even tried the DT990 yet.

Well, everything turned up on the same day today.
Got the Asgard setup with the G6 and gave the DT990 a good go. Love the sound of them although a tad bassier than what I’m used to with the K702.

To be honest, feels like I can hear footsteps better with the DT990.

As mentioned in the Asgard 3 thread. I seem to be getting feedback from the G6 as I can hear GPU and mouse noise in the headphones at certain levels in the amp dial (Between 0-10 and 2 onwards)

My friends say they can hear audible noise from my mic too when gaming.

Hi michty,

I own a k702 and use it only for competitive fps.
So did the imaging (accuracy of sound directions) improve with your new DT990? (What ohms by the way). Can you track enemy locations more accurately than with the k702?
Is the depth of the soundstage smaller? Do you still hear gunfights taking place far away from you on a big outdoor map?

Thank you and hope you got your issues sorted with the Asguard.

Hi ronfifer,

To be honest, I mainly use the DT990 for music and occasionally gaming. I still mainly use the K702 for FPS gaming as I’m quite accustomed to them.

I did however buy HD560s to replace some SHP9500 at work.
The imaging on them is great, possibly better than the k702 however the soundstage depth is probably smaller. You can still hear distanced fights taking place though.

I really need to sit down for a good amount of hours and play games with each set for a few days back to back.

I did indeed get the Asgard sorted. I used an ifi idefender to isolate the supply from the data. Works a charm.

1 Like

Glad to hear.

So there is still no AHA! Factor when it comes to drastically better imaging than the K702 in the same price range. I am concluding that the best upgrade would be to the $500+ category such as DT1990, Ananda, LCD series, etc…

I was debating whether a DT990 600ohm or modded HE400se or Senn HD560s would improve my competitiveness in FPS compared to the K702, or just act as a sidegrade. So far it seems those 3 cans would only act as a sidegrade.

Well some folk do say the DT 1990 are the better upgrade path and these are all side grade levels of phones.
To be fair, You will probably be hitting diminishing returns after a certain point. It’s all up to how well the sound engine performs. If that’s garbage you can’t make it good with spending more money on headphones.

k702 has probably the most soundstage when it comes to that price bracket… even above the DT 1990 but it has imaging inaccuracies which puts it off from time to time… honestly annoying as if it was properly accurate it’d be one of the top recommendations… then again, in some cases that stage can be seen as a bit of a hinderance so it depends on the person and your own preference… k702 also isn’t as potentially sibilant as a beyer either…

560 is a side grade… less soundstage more in your face bit better as close quarters placements due to how it pushes you further into the sound… excellent imaging but not as good as the HD 660s but 660s have extremely narrow soundstage

880 and 990 both have close to the same level of imaging as one another of course with tygr being in there… but each has their own set amount of brightness… the problem is that 990 has too much bass and not enough mids… its usable but could use EQ… tygr has this same issue to a lesser extent its just that in some cases the bass is too much meanwhile 880 does have exactly what youd want in terms of the signature but its semi open back creates limitations to its soundstage… hence the 1990 which takes more from the DT 880s neutrality is better since its fully open then again, if someone could mod a tygr with the 880 600 ohm drivers… it’d probably be better all around

for the most part… a lot of them are in the same ball park each excelling in certain areas… 400se as mentioned above is primarily good at verticality where others fail due to the air quality and large stage helping those placements… but its not the best in the case of actual imaging. Beyers are laser accurate without the best in terms of staging and are a bit too bright or have a V shape instead of neutral bright, K702 has imaging inaccuracies and while stage is very large it can cause issues, 560s is full balanced but in very large fps it can be lacking due to soundstage, 560se is primarily air and soundstage not so much in terms of imaging… its good but not the best

Steps above those? you would want to look around $500 where headphones like aeon, zeus, 660s, 1990, T1, Elex, etc exist. However, the gains can be a bit more marginalized and realy what youd be doing is perfecting the signature and overall setup… after this point… there really is no worth in going higher for a gamer unless your really getting into audio

1 Like

@Falenkor I just want the k702 stage and the beyer laser imaging in one open back headphone for competitive fps. Budget up to $500 flexible. This seems hard to find.

Falenkor what do you think of the Senn HD598SE, tried it? Someone did the transition from k702 to 598se and said it almost has the same stage but much better imaging too. Could this be my hidden gem? Or is it the T1.2? Have you tried the zeus? Sundara? I only play open battlefield maps so not interested in HD660s.

almost same stage? uhh, definitely not in the same league there. Imaging? Yeah for the most part 598 is better its just essentially your average jack of all trades headphone… I wouldn’t particularly choose it over a 702 though personally… side grade, preference based, and based on person in particular.

highly unlikely

rather hard to actually find this without cutting some corners somewhere in the signatures let alone the cost…

For the most part? Yeah, biggest stage of the beyers… not as much heavy dampening, still has the extremely good imaging, built ridiculously well. 2nd gen only. You will absolutely need a good amp and dac for this one though. This is my own personal go-to… scaling on this thing is ridiculous and can sound horrible on the wrong setup

yep, large stage good imaging, V shaped signature… bit too bassy for competitive… still works though. Big oof on even getting to try one of these though… their return policy is a joke and a half when you figure out that if you don’t like it and want to return the headphone the company will charge you atleast 60%+ for the overall restocks

not laser imaging… but very good airy soundstage probs the best on this list so far in this regard

1 Like

Thanks. Bit confused. U say T1.2 is your go to with relatively largest beyer stage and exceptional imaging, then you say the Sundara has good imaging and the best on this list for this use case.
?!

re read…

^ imaging

^ soundstage

hifiman have some of the much better soundstage like akg and harmonicdyne. AKG and Hifiman really aren’t particularly the greatest in the case of imaging but work fine regardless.

Sennheisers usually have around the average amount of soundstage for an open back or very very intimate like the 600 series… meanwhile beyer while they can be large… heavily dampen their headphones causing them to lose that open airyness you may want… T1 on the other hand does not use heavy dampeners over the driver… just in the back and the drivers are curved as well which is unique for a beyer.

1 Like

Gotcha.

Sorry i made a typo in the above post, i meant the 599SE not the 598. Have you tried the 599SE (emphasis on second edition)? I heard it has large soundstage and better imaging than k702.

T1.2 and Sundara are now on my shortlist as an upgrade from the K702 for competitive fps. Thanks for sharing your experience.

I would like to try the T1.2 also but cannot find any for the life of me that don’t cost a huge fortune.

confused as to what you mean by second edition… SE means Special Edition of which there is zero difference between the regular 599 and the SE variation. SE is just different color

as for 599? it rumbles rather hard due to the big spike from the mid to upper bass with the rest of the signature for the most part falling on neutral… Not one I would recommend… and 599 has the same soundstage as 598… for the most part… the two are one in the same outside of tuning

Ive seen some rather… bad… reviews stating things about how great the 599 are and whatever… for regular gaming? yeah sure… any sennheiser can do that… 558 and 599 for competitive? For the most part? no, 598 and 58x jubilee would be better suited to that

gotta find it used since its discontinued…

Yeah, I’m keeping my eyes open for a pair to pounce on! They are currently around the same price as used HD800s here by the looks of it.

I did find some T1.2 but were fitted with gen3 drivers?

not sure why anybody would do that… third gen T1 is a completely different very very bassy tuning that that has heavier dampening. I like the third gen but holy hell… not for competitives