Upgrade shp9500s to something that is around 200-250 CAD

I have the 9500s with aftermarket ear pads and I am looking for something that is better because I really hate the build quality of these. Only looking for headphones that are leaning towards competitive gaming (valorant). I don’t really care how my music sounds like lol, if anything I’ll just adjust them on an equalizer. But can anyone give me suggestions that have competitive gaming in mind? (don’t really care for closed or open back) I was looking at hyper x cloud 2s since they are on sale but I think that the soundstage on them are worse than the 9500s, don’t need a headphone that has a mic. Also don’t have a dac/amp and not looking to buy one.

If you’re not looking to buy an amp and you want something easy to drive. Similar sound signature but more refined sennheiser 58X is an easy rec

or

80ohm DT 880 may be the step up you’re looking for its got incredible imaging, much wider soundstage and still got a bright signature handy for competitive still easy to drive

1 Like

sorry im new to this what does ohm mean because on amazon the only thing that is available for the dt 880 is the 32 ohm one

and I dont think that massdrop ships to canada

Oh yeah sorry thats the one I meant

Fair enough then the 32 ohm I’d recommend. Its to do with the voice coil. The more ohms the higher resistance [harder to drive] also sensitivity comes into this but either way the 32 ohm is super easy to drive and the 250 ohm is harder but still possible.

is there any with a replaceable cable? I have had bad experiences with non detachables in the paste

You can get a service for a removable cable done on this headphone.

Otherwise 4XX would be a step up the imaging isn’t as good but the soundstage is great.

@Falenkor this is more your domain mlord

Also I will say for soundstage and imaging and it’s cheap on ear. KSC-75X with some yaxi pads man it’s soundstage and imaging. This is outside of the over ear headphone recommendations but it’s cheap and very competitive

And super comfy

Hmm, without a dac amp your options are extremely limited… I’m guessing this is pc? What motherboard are you using? Most are quite weak and cant even push 150 ohms let alone 80. To answer your PM no the 9600 is not a good idea it leans bassier and is practically the same as a post modded 9500, the build looks different aesthetically but is actually the same.

If you have the budget I’d highly encourage a dac amp… doesnt have to be outrageously expensive but it will help you

As for the hyperx that headset doesnt hold a candle to 9500s… the best two “ampless” will most likely be pc38x which is essentially the current best headset of the market for competitive sound placement and tygr 300r but tygr can be power picky. Tygr stomps all over pc38x In most aspects

If those are not feasible… I’d say beyer dt 770 80 ohm if you can drive it… with an amp or a strong motherboard I’d say the 250 ohm 880 or 990 would be better than 770

You can find beyers on the used markets for around $100 ish in usually mint condition

I have a b550m bazooka motherboard

do you have recommendations for a dac/amp? willing to spend 200-250 on it including the headphones. Can’t add anymore tho

For this price you’re going to search for the most inexpensive DAC/Amps ever and it will be like the FX Audio DAC-X6 or the Fiio E10K…

And for headphones, the Cooler Master MH751’s.

is the coolermaster an upgrade or a sidegrade from the 9500s and also it has a mic idk if that factors in the price

Since he doesnt need a mic I definitely would say 770 over this considering the stage and imaging differences.

Cant check on this atm. Less someone wants to search its driving capabilities

I’ll chime back in on this later

Hmm would depend on just how cheap you can snag the headphone for though at this point considering the budget I’d just say grab the tygrs and be done with it

Do keep on mind though you mentioned equalizing this will require more power to maintain signature balance

Downgrade if the 9500 is pad modified with a mic attachment

I have shure pads on it thats about it

Someone from Ontario is selling his HD58Xs for 190$CAD (shipped).
Creating an account there is free.

DT880 Pros 250ohms here.

I have HD58Xs, they don’t have much soundstage. DT880 Pros will probably be better if you want to feel like you’re in a larger map/room/field when gaming.

Shure velour and dekoni elite velour both give 9500 better capabilities… shure is more intimate but the dekoni give the 9500 more staging due to the pad thickness. It’s still better than 751

Honestly starting to think 880 and 58x are just best in budget for gamers and audiophiles. They really are damn good headphones. I mean you have others with more soundstage or bass and the like but they have a very good balanced out signature just 880 is bright…

880 indeed will have more soundstage than 58x. HD 598 is a solid alternative to 58x for those without access to drop

it says 250 ohm will I be able to power that without dac amp because its already 235$

and how do I replace those cables, I break my 9500s cables a lot so I keep buying them from amazon lol