Upgrade shp9500s to something that is around 200-250 CAD

Curious as to how your managing to bust cables…

You’d have to either pay for the modification, buy it used already modded, or do the cable mod yourself which takes soldering.

Not sure… tried doing a quick search but came up empty handed. Need to do a thorough check on the specs for the codec it uses… though I didnt see anything about op amps or anything so more than likely its using a pretty weak chip, in that regard no… it wouldn’t push 250 ohms

Unfortunately, while beyer has practically the best headphone for competitive gamers($200 range) they decided to only make their $400+ models have a detachable cable… which is quite stupid of them in all honesty

also this site Philips SHP9500 vs Sennheiser HD 58X Jubilee Side-by-Side Headphones Comparison - RTINGS.com

says that the soundstage on the 58x is worse than my 9500s

Is soundstage good or bad for gaming? I mean, old HD280 Pros are used everywhere in studios for monitoring. They got zero soundstage. You just hear everything, closer to you. 58X will give you “2-foot wide soundstage” (lol) but way more detail, so way more information.

My HD280 Pros are in a box here since I found what soundstage was… with HD58Xs. :man_shrugging:

Depends on the game. Let’s take cod for example regular cod not warzone. Cod is a smaller more in your face run and gun kind of shooter… if you take say the ridiculous HD800S and put it on there the soundstage is actually too big for the game and will cause a player quite a lot of issues… this same factor can be seen if you used this same headphone in csgo and valorant and is one of the reasons I highly recommend against this particular headphone in most cases with gamers. However, if we take into account planetside, arma, escape from tarkov, battlefield, and others like these that have the huge expansive battlefield playing areas these particular games can and will benefit from a larger soundstage provided you have good hearing and ability to place your sounds well(this comes with practice). Some people prefer the more intimate soundstage shoved into their ears though even in tarkov as they find it helps them so it does go on a person to person basis… but in most cases from what I have seen depending on what your playing will depend on what is the more feasible option to go with. Though this makes headphones like dt 880, 58x jubilees, etc where the soundstage is a bit more on the average side maybe a little larger or smaller more sought after as they fit easier into pretty much any category of gaming even when the sound engine is trash… the 9500 is also included in this as its soundstage adapts to what pads its currently using and can be either more intimate or above the average. Generally if someone wants a more all rounded type of headphone they want the imaging to be the main focus of the headphone with around the average size of an open back headphone soundstage unless they absolutely need an extremely intimate headphone or extremely large staged headphone which honestly only the person will know if thats what they need for certain since we hear sound differently. Though if someone needs intimacy… sennheiser is the better choice since 660s over there exists which the capabilities of that headphone is rather nuts… step from there would definitely be the Focal Elex. As for larger stages… T1.2 and 1990 followed by HD800S. For budgets though its best to just look at headphones like 9500, 58x, k702, DT series beyers or tygr, etc depending on what stage they are after and sound aspects.

58x jubilee is used by a huge amount of gamers and like 9500s have a bit of a legendary status… the 58x is a cut above the HD598 which has been around being used for a very long time now, markiplier uses the 598 as well btw. The differences here being that the 9500 has the bigger stage but the 58x is better on imaging. The signatures are difference as sennheiser tries to be a more neutral balanced sound while the shp9500 is a more neutral bright sound signature out of the box. 58x however isn’t the best in terms of modifications… it can be pad swapped but it doesn’t respond anywhere near to the degree of the 9500s. The 9500 can even adopt the 9600 signature through suede dekoni pads and use the V-moda boom pro which is the best clarity mic on the market to much knowledge that uses a 3.5mm jack… the 58x jubilee does not use this cabling and therefore needs a dedicated mic setup or modmic attachment.

Idk why everyone recommends 58x as something similar to the 9500, they’re literally opposites, 9500 is bright af, and decently wide, 58x is really warm and has basically no soundstage, for what you want, get the hd560s, they’re the direct 9500 upgrade imo.

Uh, no, neutral, with added bass and decent sub-bass. They can actually be bright and harsh brand new or with a JDS Labs Atom, for example. I don’t know if the HD560S are better detail-wise, but they’re 263 CAD on amazon right now… so above OP’s budget too. :confused:

1 Like

uhh what? warm? Definitely not, maybe neutral leaning somewhat warm but they are absolutely more neutral as is customary of a Sennheiser headphone. As for no soundstage again I absolutely disagree… if you want no soundstage feel free to check out focal celestee or if you want extremely intimate… try the 600 series sennheisers they have extremely little. the 58x jubilee has around the average for an open back headphone and is close to the same as the 560s. 9500 is also not -that- bright… its nowhere near as bright sounding as the beyerdynamic headphones even in the case of the 880 which isn’t quite over the top sharp but still apparently bright. The 560s are average staged, bright leaning headphones with very strong imaging. If anything they would be a side grade just like the 58x but with the 560s having a similar signature. I wouldn’t recommend the 560s since you can just pad swap the 9500 to get more out of it regardless… not worth the money just for some extra imaging from the 9500.

the 560s lean bright but still maintain a more neutral approach… the term extremely reference grade applies here… and the 560s can be seen as quite boring honestly to some as the bass is a bit lacking like some of the sennheisers tend to be. 560s is essentially the better variation of the pc38x just without its microphone… practically the same signature but doesn’t suck on sound quality. I like the 560s but if its for gaming… I wouldn’t really take this over the 9500 post mod… its just not worth it from what your standing to gain in my opinion. He mentions build quality as well and while build quality is better on the Sennheiser its still plastic just sturdier.

Yeh i disagree, it’s downright the warmest of the 600 family (I’ve had them all) and all of them are A LOT warmer than the shps, the shps actually measure closer to the hd800s than the 600s so the comparison makes zero sense to me.

Even the 560s are less bright but those are actually similar to the shps, just better, and yes they’re more detailed and have way better imaging than the 58x. I don’t even like the 560s myself, but they’re literally what op is asking for and im sure they can save an extra 10 cad…

well the 58x leans warm but that doesn’t make it particularly a warm headphone… its also apart of the 500 series family not the 600 family as such shares the soundstage from the 500 series. the lacking bass in the 600 family is an issue imo and why the ifi amp over there from drop actually has a 6xx button that adds bass lol. love the 660s for their imaging but I hated how lacking they sounded in comparison to other headphones especially in the case of soundstage which is a huge lacking area

560s have better imaging, close to equal staging, brighter, less bass, more reference grade, but can be rather boring. It’s an ever so slight upgrade in some cases and side grades in others… I wouldn’t say shelling out $263 CAD for such marginal changes is worth while to OP. Just my opinion tho

We’re gonna have to agree to disagree, the 6xx is the default “warm” headphone recommendation, the 58x has less of everything above 3k and more bass, and no it doesn’t have nearly the soundstage of the 560s imo.

Again I don’t even like the 560s, but they got the best soundstage/imaging you can get at that price without an amp… and are a big and very direct improvement over the shps imo.

What if I just buy a dac/amp for my shps? Will it be better

would hands down take a tygr 300r over them any day of the week honestly. Better stage, laser imaging, better bass tones, better comfort. DT 880 more so if the motherboard can handle them at 250 ohms… tygrs are kinda crap for mids which is where 880 and 560s shine more seeing how tygrs are essentially the 990 but not trash in low ohm

agreed

Its not particularly one of those that needs a dac amp and really doesn’t respond to a great degree from using one either. More than likely no. Though owning a dac/amp will help you in future upgrades and alternative headphones down the road… seeing how dac/amps can last an extremely long time compared to headphones which eventually will wear down its more of an investment honestly but you do tend to get what you pay for… a dac / amp in this price range is not too worth it though.

I don’t play Valorant, but as a 8000 hours csgo competitive player, 1200 matches on faceit, I recommend to stick to SHP9500. Also have DT1990 and HD800 and HD800 is the worst of all when playing csgo. DT1990 also very bad for footsteps placement and awareness of the environment. When I have SHP9500, the connection feel with the game is just perfect, I don’t need to focus, the sound I’m expecting is just there. SHP9500 has this ability to make quiet sounds to sound louder. The footsteps are very loud. It has soft and mellow timbre and can be listened louder than other headphones with metallic timbre.

This is the EQ I use with SHP9500. DT1990 with EQ doesn’t compete with SHP9500 for CSGO.
Preamp: -6.6 dB
Filter 1: ON PK Fc 29 Hz Gain 6.6 dB Q 0.76
Filter 2: ON PK Fc 4597 Hz Gain -8.2 dB Q 1.73
Filter 3: ON PK Fc 5867 Hz Gain 8.8 dB Q 0.49
Filter 4: ON PK Fc 6064 Hz Gain -10.5 dB Q 4.09
Filter 5: ON PK Fc 16165 Hz Gain -7.3 dB Q 0.28
Filter 6: ON PK Fc 191 Hz Gain -2.1 dB Q 2.41
Filter 7: ON PK Fc 1254 Hz Gain -1.1 dB Q 3.19
Filter 8: ON PK Fc 2252 Hz Gain 2.8 dB Q 3.38
Filter 9: ON PK Fc 3052 Hz Gain -3.3 dB Q 3.18
Filter 10: ON PK Fc 3444 Hz Gain 2.1 dB Q 4.13

It is my opinion, that’s why a nickname appears above of this post.

For 250$ you can probably get a JDS Labs Atom amp and dac stack which will surely lift a veil and let you know what your 9500s can really do.

There you go, 220$CAD:

Im curious, what does a dac/amp really do? ( new to this stuff)

DAC = “Digital to analog converter” = …basically, an external “sound card”.

You will never hear interferences or weird sounds coming from your computer, because the “sound card” will now be out of it (obviously), but the main reason to get one is, you’ll hear more detail, audio will sound “fuller”, etc. Compared to “sound cards”… or your integrated motherboard headphone out. Yes, your motherboard headphone out sounds okay. But I guarantee you there’s not 100$ worth of components in it (compared to the JDS Atom DAC), to make everything sound… way more than “just okay”.

Amp = Headphone amplifier.

Not just a volume knob in a box. Dare I say, “detail amplifier”. Specifically designed for headphones, takes all of what the DAC does and amplifies it. A DAC is useless without good amplification, that’s why it’s common for the amps and DACs to be roughly the same price (dac/amp combos), or, well, it’s common for people to buy 100$ amps for their 100$ DACs, etc.

sorry to necro but budget got increased to 400$ cad, any more recommendations?

Was thinking of these https://www.amazon.ca/Audio-Technica-ATHADG1X-Open-Air-Gaming-Headset/dp/B01AYZZP5U/ref=pd_di_sccai_1/137-8520093-8478842?pd_rd_w=OMAml&pf_rd_p=e92f388e-b766-4f7f-aac1-ee1d0056e8fb&pf_rd_r=Z4R7HDAFF7HCWK4FJ3Y1&pd_rd_r=e2af99f3-69cf-4b9f-b79a-91c48421c4da&pd_rd_wg=FjXq2&pd_rd_i=B01AYZZP5U&psc=1

Audio-Technica ATH-AD700X Audiophile Open-Air Headphones Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009S332TQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_XKJ6BQPGZTQM35PAPKWS

I cant use that because its amazon US