UTWS5 + Olina or a TWS (Liberty 3 Pro)

Hi there. I’m really stuck here
I love my Olina and it sounds amazing on my FIIO BTR3K balanced output. but I really don’t like cables and love TWS form factor.
I got KZ AZ09Pro it’s very good for my cheap IEMs but Olina doesn’t sound at it’s best on it. it loses it’s 3D magic. So I was considering UTWS5 but not sure about it. many people complain about QC issues. and I’m worried it won’t sound as good as BTR3K anyway …
so don’t you think it’s better to get sth like Liberty 3 Pro? it’s cheaper than UTWS5 and seems a better deal. I’m not a fan of it’s sound sig but I’m fine with EQ.
I care about natural Mids, good soundstage and imaging and enough bass (basically I love Olina!!)

Shure TW2 is the best wireless adaptor IMHO

1 Like

Thanks but unfortunately that’s not available in 2pin

1 Like

I have the KZ AZ09 ( not the Pro, so only aac, no aptX ) and the Fiio BTR5, and the sound difference between them is huge. The UTWS5 tops out at AptX Adaptive, where the BTR5 and BTR3K both do LDAC.

The difference between those two codecs is pretty substantial to me, but If you wanted to test it, you could put your BTR3K into AptX mode, and see how it sounds to you. I can usually tell the difference between AptX and LDAC. Once I hit LDAC, I can’t really tell the difference from wired.

To set the mode, you just pick the one codec in the app ( it is on the first page for the device ), and switch it and try for a few songs ( or even a playlist ) you are very familiar with.

1 Like

BTR3K sounds better than KZ even on AptX and it’s not a huge difference for me AptX vs LDAC. mayyybe LDAC has wider soundstage and less compression artifact or maybe my brain’s playing tricks on me :smiley:

1 Like

I will say having used Olina with both BTR3K and UTWS3 I was able to noticed
a general improvement with the BTR3K but it was minor one. The UTWS5 would probably be harder to notice

3 Likes

That doesn’t surprise me. I think the sound quality on my BTR5 is pretty amazing, even on AptX, which usually is in the AptX HD mode.

I think both are true for me, the compression issues lead to better sound floor on LDAC too. I notice the floor on podcasts and other news coverage.
I tend to say that on both Olina and Tea ( my two favorite IEMs right now ), the sound stage seems wider, and the imaging a bit better.

1 Like

L3 pro is solid if it’s on sale for the $130ish it usually goes down to

1 Like

have you tried it? can you compare it with IEMs?
I’m currently using CRA + AZ09 Pro which sounds pretty good and is convenient and I’m worried that L3P isn’t even as good as this combo :melting_face:

1 Like

Once you’re outside anything with ANC beats anything without it

1 Like

Thanks for the comment. I have 1more CBP which has a very good ANC but I rarely listen music outside and really don’t care about ANC that much …

Then it’s a no brainer too, go with the Olina, My only wired iem (bl03), destroys any tws I’ve had (xm3, momentum 2, nekocake, earfun oluv ed)
Tws are good for going out, exercising and that’s it…

2 Likes

Thanks bro … this was helpful

This. If ANC isnt needed, always go regular iems!

1 Like

I will also put in that while good ANC clearly works better at getting rid of outside sound than passive isolation, I’ve really never had trouble walking around the city with regular IEMs. Like unless there’s a jackhammer or leaf blower right next to me, I only have to turn up the volume a little bit.

3 Likes

Could compare with the olina

If you want a budget TWS with ANC, this is my recommendation.

Before I got into IEMs, I was using TWS, and these were the first ones that really made me stop and listen. They have nearly every feature you would want, including wireless charging.

I still use these as my travel set, or if I am in the office. I live 2000 miles from the office, so that is pretty uncommon, and I am usually there to talk to people, not to do heads down work.

side note - These are the same model TW301, that Oluv modded a while. I have never heard his modded version, but people love them.

1 Like

Oh boy I couldn’t disagree more with this. ANC is very good at dulling low frequency noises but unvented IEMs, which you will (almost) always get with all-BA IEMs, provide much much better isolation. The problem is for universal IEMs you need tips that won’t unseal as you move around in which case something like Xelastecs are probably your best bet.

2 Likes

That’ll be awesome…!
please note that i’m willing to EQ and not a fan of super V shaped tunings

seems more L shaped than V shaped by default that driver is definitely slam capable lol more bass than I personally like but EQ can fix it, Olina seems very bass light in comparison
built in EQ is alright can save a few profiles and switching is fast to apply
running them LDAC sounds great but lose a lot of range some battery life and the 3D simulation if that matters (I had to do a 5 hour zoom call used them in LDAC and they were almost dead at the end of it probably more like 8 hours on the others)
didn’t seem like there was any major difference in technicalities

1 Like