šŸ”¶ Vokyl Erupts

The mic is on the cable, not in the cups. Thereā€™s no need of anything more than a mono connection on the cups.

DO you not understand whats going on? The source end of both cables is CTIA TRRS connector (4 pole), not your standard stereo connector. You cannot run a mono input on the headphone while having a CTIA connector at the other end. Whatever, someone has already tried that and couldnā€™t get it to work.

I see, you are talking about the other end. Ignore the provided cable, every cup only needs a mono connection. Unless they are using some funky pinout, aftermarket cables should work.

Unfortunately I donā€™t have the tools to open them up and check the wiring nor a split cable with two 2.5mm inputs. All my previous headphones (except the 58X with the Senny connectors) were a single cable.

This is the best I can do, which I think should be enough:

I plugged in a NewFantasia cable I bought for my Takstar Pro 82ā€™s (which coincidently have a 4 pole 2.5mm input, though it appears theyā€™re just acting as a stereo input) into the left cup and listened to around 30 seconds of a song. Then I plugged the original cable back in, but only had it in the left side and listened to the same 30 seconds. To my ears, they are the same. I donā€™t have any 2.5mm mono cables, but I would assume that would work fine as well.

That cable fit in the cups just as well as the stock cable btw. If you are familiar with that kind of housing for cables you can just tell them (custom cable maker) to use a connector like that to assure theyā€™ll fit without clearance issues.

Something like this should work.

Iā€™ve rewatched zeosā€™s video on the prototype and they used a dual stereo connector. If it is wired as a dual stereo input (which thereā€™s no evidence to say it isnā€™t) you run mono connectors into it without shorting it?

The common and logical way of wiring those is tip = signal, sleeve = ground. Any other pinout will be unconventional and provide no benefit. My guess is they were logical and did the reasonable thing, of course I might be wrong.

2 Likes

Just ordered one of these.

Iā€™ll test it out this weekend

What they may have done is make it so they take a stereo 2.5/3.5 on each side. This way it does not matter how you plug it in. The left cup will only get the left signal (tip) and the right will only get the right signal (ring). I would not recommend trying a mono plug since the sleeve occupies the ring space and that could damage something I would imagine.

Sadly, someones got to be the guinea pig. Thereā€™s no point waiting for someone to try a dual stereo cable (if you can find one as they are insanely rare) as it will work even if the cups are mono. Only testing it with a mono cable or dismantling it to see the pin outs will reveal if its a 2 pole connection. And no, many many people have asked the vokyl team what type of pin out it is, and theyā€™ve been completely clueless.

You can check the cable using a multimeter, itā€™s not that hard and you donā€™t have to destroy anything.

Were you able to test it?

I got lost in video games and when I looked up at the time my UPS office was closed. Iā€™m picking up the cable today on my way home so Iā€™ll play with it tonight and let you know.

FAILURE.

Again only the left cup would play audio. Yaaaarrggggg. I canā€™t find a TRRS to Dual 2.5 mono or even dual 2.5mm TRRS for that matter

Do you have a multimeter?

didnā€™t bring it home, but yeah I have one at work.

Edit: Are you thinking of metering the provided cable or the connection itself?
Am I looking for Ohms, Volts, or just continuity?

You can get the pinout by checking conductivity on the cable that came with the headphones. It should take less than 5 minutes.

Iā€™ll take the cable into work with me and test it there.

Seems like they decided to use some crazy pinout. It might be easier to fix the headphones than to find cables that work. My pair will arrive on September 3, so for now I can only speculate.