đŸ”¶ Vokyl Erupts

I just sent off a third email and surprisingly got an instant response from them.

Vokyl’s response:

I’m terribly sorry, I had this all typed up and never sent it.

We’re going to put out some information regarding replacement cables shortly. I do recommend maxing out the volume on the in-line control when using with an amp.

Thanks so much for reaching out with your feedback and don’t hesitate with further questions.

-Jude

Vokyl Audio

1 Like

Did a little experiment just for fun:

I found a headphone splitter cable and plugged in both of my Takstar Pro 82 cables into each cup. One is 4 pole and the other is 3 pole. The stock Takstar cable doesn’t leave enough clearance to plug in all the way but sound comes through clearly by holding the connector with a little pressure. Both sides work with either cable. For headphones with cables that plug into both cups, how does this setup differ from having a proper cable plugged into it? I assume there’s just no connection/contact between each cup in the wiring, and that’s why I don’t have the kind of interference that RandomStrata ran into.

OK so I remembered I had a meter in the garage and went digging.

I just metered out the pins on the cable that doesn’t have the mic.

Main Jack to Individual Left and Right cables
Tip test: Continuity on both Left and Right
Ring 1 test: No Continuity on Left or Right
Ring 2 test: Continuity on Left and Right
Shield test: Continuity on Left and Right

Left and Right Cable continuity test
Continuity from Tip to Tip
Continuity from R1 to R1
Continuity from R2 to R2
Continuity from Shield to Shield

4 Likes

It’s one of those crazy cables where doesn’t matter how you plug them. That’s the most useless feature ever, and will make really hard to get replacement cables.

Interested to hear their response even more now

I just got my Erupts in today, and I realized, as apparently many of you have, that the cables suck. Anyone got any leads on a decent replacement cable? I would also be interested in a balanced cable.

I plan on getting a custom cable from Arctic Cables on eBay. I’m waiting for their update on replacement cables and hopefully explaining the weird wiring. Until then, I’m on hold.

What contribution # were you? I’m like 900 so I don’t expect mine anytime this year sadly.

I was around #1100. I was kind of surprised to get them before the end of August.

1100? Do you not mean 110? I didn’t even know there were that many contributions.

The order number they sent me was in the #1100 range. My contribution ID from Indiegogo was around 160.

At the rate of production I will get them around Christmas. So I will have waited 10 months for these things. Fuck they better sound way better than 300 hundred dollars to be worth it.

I know you didn’t want to say anything about the sound until you’d demo’d them for sufficiently long, but I I’m kind of confused. One guy said they were completely neutral sounding, while someone else said they were dark and rolled off. Do you have any thoughts on this from your testing?

Neutral with the fenestrated pads. Very, very dark with the solid pads.

1 Like

Mine doesn’t have the L and R stamp. Weird.

I think they’re pretty neutral, maybe very slighty v shaped but bass isn’t heavy (on fenestrated pads, haven’t felt the need to try solid pads)

That’s good to hear, thanks. Also, how hard are they to drive compared to your 58x?

They’re easier to drive. You should be able to run them off a phone even.

Erupts = 80 ohm
58X = 150 ohm

The ohm’s don’t tell you the entire story. Look at the he6 (60ohm) or the t50’s (50ohm’s). Also, someone said they benefit from more power delivery than what was on their phone. Do they less gain on your 789 to be at the same volume of the 58x?

I’ve been using them at the same settings on my 789 (SE, gain 3, 2 o’clock) as I was using my 58X. I haven’t gone back and forth between the two sets as I’ve been getting accustomed to their sound. Doing a quick test listening to the first 30 seconds of Daft Punk’s Face to Face with both headphones, the 58X are clearly louder at the same settings. Turning the volume knob to 5 o’clock gets roughly the same volume on the Erupts (which is almost maxing out the 789’s SE).