Weeb Music Thread

These 2 are intros they got so right on both music and video that I pretty much never skipped them when starting an episode:

1 Like

upset that your the only one who mentioned shiki no uta making your comment to be the best on the thread so far from that alone.
JK but the entire samurai champloo soundtrack is just some lo fi hip hop gold RIP nujabes

1 Like

Utada Hikaru - Santuary (Passion), Japanese, Kingdom Hearts

nobodyknows - Hero’s Come Back!!, Naruto Shippuden OP1

ClariS - Irony, Ore no Imouto ga Konnani Kawaii Wake ga Nai (Oreimo)

I don’t know much about Utada Hikaru outside of her singles for Kingdom Hearts, but it’s pleasant vocals. I just got the complete Naruto OST after not having watched in almost 10 years, and “Hero’s Come Back!!” sticks out as one of the better OPs. ClariS is for when I want a saccharine overload. It’s difficult for me to discern whether these are good songs or if it’s just part of my weeb nostalgia bump.

1 Like

this is a really good one from Utada Hikaru!
1 Like

The opening and ending of Dusk maiden of Amnesia are both pretty good.

Trinity Blood’s op is pretty dark and smooth. Love it.
Buck Tick - Dress

Lets throw in some character themes for fun.(Villain songs are the best)

Curious…where do y’all get your music (particularly all the anime stuff)?

Just watch a crap-ton of anime. That is what really comes down to it.

Nah, I’m talking about where you guys purchase (if you do) your music in case I find a source I’ve never heard of yet.

:>

For that exact reason I usually don’t.

Sawano Hiroyuki is bomb. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ty1RDA1ipaU

Daz my favorite song but the entire album is pretty dope. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRrxVQ7DMm0

EDIT: I clearly dont know how embedding works.

Just watched Scum’s Wish (Kuzu No Honkai). Now I cry whenever I listen to this music. Thanks Masaru Yokoyama. I really needed that.

Youtube doesn’t do it justice. “Scum’s Wish,” “We Are Dating,” and “A Story of Two,” are magical in FLAC.

Just sliding in to drop these off.

1 Like

I already saw someone mentioning Hiroyuki Sawano further up. He’s one of my favorite composers and if you really want to have something with relistening value, he’s the first address.
His signature is creating intense soundtracks with many many layers that just fit together magically. Also he can do poppy stuff and emotional stuff. So he’s pretty much one of the rare guys who can do everything.

Have a listen to this:

Sawano Hiroyuki’s compositions would be good if not for his mastering of music. Everything he does these days is brick-walled and treble intensive, for pointless full loudness effect. A few years ago he had the same tendency but at a listenable level for me (ex. Guilty Crown). But these days is like 2x more brick-walled than back then.

Anyone want the Tenki no Ko OST album? FLAC 24bit

I get what you mean with treble intensive, but what do you mean with brick - walled?
His latest album was a bit intense but you know what you can do against that? Just lower the volume lol
Anyway, I am not a professional.

If you are not familiar with the concept, then there is a lot to explain.
This is what I mean by brickwall:

This is by Sawano Hiroyuki, and it is one of his older works. Notice how it looks like a wall? Hence bick-walling, loudness altered to almost max. Imagine these days is even worse, there is almost no quieter parts left. Turning the volume down would just turn it into this:

Notice what happens? The peaks in music are all gone. That information is lost because the overblown loudness clips the waveform and you are left with just part of it, all in order to make it as loud as possible.
This is how real music looks like:

Actual music is not just noise and nothing else, it should have dynamics. That means the sound is both quiet and loud at different parts for maximum artistic effect. No wave peaks are clipped, no audio information was lost in the mastering process. And your ears won’t explode from the wall of noise.

Hiroyuki also boosts the treble as much as possible on top of compressing it to the max and it gets to an incredible noisy mess. Even if I cut the volume down in half, it just doesn’t sound like actual music anymore…

5 Likes

Dragon Ball Super Broly had some good ones
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL0WBjIZsymZeSbm41kL6TzOiuDqtJPqln

Decided to pop back here because I lost my phone, of which is my Google Authenticator app is in… ie I can’t log into my Head Fi account anymore T_T

1 Like

Yoko Shimomura’s compositions are amazing. But I am annoyed that not every OST in FFXV is mastered properly. They should not make them with the lowest common denominator in mind (the average gamer), since I had to make some treble adjustments to a lot of them but I really wanted them in my collection.

1 Like