Wells Audio Milo amp, give me your thoughts please

looking at the other Wells headphone amps and see the Headtrip 2 supports headphone impedance of 4 to 2000 ohms. What the hell has a 2000 ohm impedance?

Also, is there any suggestion that RAAL is even working on a v2 at this point? I’m sure they wouldn’t exactly broadcast it, I’m just curious

IDK, but with their success I would assume they are going to come out with something new

Toshiba HR-V7
https://www.google.com/search?client=safari&hl=en-us&sxsrf=ACYBGNShfrpc-8j8tK7TEf2cp2WuetOFdg%3A1575431663609&ei=7y3nXfjhJNDYtAXFyKaoCQ&q=toshiba+hr-v7+headphones+specs&oq=toshiba+hr-v7+headphones+specs&gs_l=psy-ab.3...10890.12537..14316...0.0..0.170.1080.0j8…0…1…gws-wiz…35i39j33i160j33i299.W6okrseI3ic&ved=0ahUKEwi4lbWljJvmAhVQLK0KHUWkCZUQ4dUDCAo&uact=5

That’s a pretty modern-ish design for 1979

lol, how where you supposed to play it with a 4000ohm handycap?

Hey @ZeosPantera, you should hurry up and make MON an admin… he’s on here enough, answering questions and offering advice that you should be paying him by now.

2 Likes

We should make a poll for in favour or against and let the votes speak for themselves. :smiley:

Done. Go Vote

I just found one of these used on headfi and it seems to be priced well. Having a hard finding real solid reviews/data on this amp.

I found a few impressions on the 1266 Phi Headfi thread on this amp where some people were blown away and other were less than impressed.

Does anyone on HFGF have an extended experience of owning this amp? Have you paired it with a 1266/Susvara/He6SE? what were your thoughts and for $950 is it a good value or better to save another $500 and go GSX?

bumpage… any feedback on the Wells Milo amp would be welcomed! I’ve got a shot at it for a decent price just not sure if it’s a quality amp or one to just let go?

At the price you found it, from my own research i personally would jump on it IF you have headphones that can use the power and scale well. It’s quality, a bit on the warmer side and has good amounts of power for 300ohm and higher HP’s.

thx… yeah I was trying to get an understanding if the power was clean and if offered decent resolution. The price is right and it produces 10 watts @ 50 ohms so everything I need. Just have no clue about transparency and detail… I do prefer the warm side of neutral for sound signature.

The SBAF thread shit all over this amp and the headfi thread is frankly a bit weird. I found the posters in that thread to be very “strange” and not at all helpful.

Per my conversation with M0N a long while ago, that’s about right. They have higher end stuff too but it’s gonna cost a pretty penny. At that price it’s good stuff IF you need the power. If i had not just dropped the equivalent of a used cars worth of money i would buy it at that price, unfortunately i’m tight at the moment…it’s not an easy sell it seems without the upgrades so be aware…

It is an interesting amp, it’s not bad but it’s also not super high preforming either, it’s got nice body and smoothness, good density, but isn’t the most resolving for the price and isn’t as technically capable. It’s a nice amp to listen to but it really doesn’t impress me all too much, but if you want a very forgiving listen that’s just pleasing but not super impressive it could be a good choice. I might say from memory I might say it’s actually at a similar tier as the flux (perhaps slightly higher)

2 Likes

thanks mon… if it’s just flux tier then not a great deal then… was hoping it would be gsx tier based upon the original MSRP. I’ll let it pass as he just dropped it to $875 so assume somebody bid and negotiate on it.

don’t really need another piece of midfi fun gear ATM. Appreciate the input!

I would call it higher than midfi tier, but personally I don’t think it’s on the same technical level as the gsx mini, that being said those are very different signatures for sure. I guess kinda think of it as a very fun sounding amp but one that really isn’t super impressive in the end, it’s an enjoyable listen at times but generally I wouldn’t want to live with one because of it’s flaws

2 Likes

I think it’s easily in the same tier as the GSX Mini if not higher. If this amp is available at a reasonable price I would jump on it. Very bad ass…

I think the milo with the resistors and the volume pot upgrade would place it on the similar or a bit better tier, and the milo reference was in a different league, but the base model milo to me didn’t really do it for me. I do think the milo has a pretty enjoyable sound sig and works well with most more power hungry headphones, along with that wider more spacious stage (but again for me lack of accuracy of placement), and the forgiving aspect of it is pretty pleasant, from a technicality standpoint idk if it really competes as well as it should, adding the volume pot and resistor upgrades seemed to tighten things up in the bass and bump resolving power more than I would have expected and imo would more place it in competition with the mini or other competing options.

Thinking about it some more, I would say the milo does end up being on the higher tier from the flux as the flux didn’t have as organic of a presentation and not as good midrange timbre, but they do go for a similar sonic goal

1 Like

well I had a shot on it at a great price but passed and somebody else got it…

I probably should have bought it be oh well… there will always be something else to come along as price are getting soft right now.

2 Likes