What did you buy today? (Part 1)

BAHAHAHA, my cousin has nearly a petabyte of media. The Storinator from 45 drives is amazing.

2 Likes

Yeah 12tb really aint much tbh

5 Likes

A native BluRay rip is 30 to 50GB, compressed 7 to 15.

I recommend you take just a peak in here:
https://www.reddit.com/r/DataHoarder/

3 Likes

Again, is he storing it in the native format?

I donā€™t get the huge storage collections. I have spoken to people over the years that have tens of thousands of songs. I ask them how much of it they love or how often they listen to it. I always get the same reaction: I downloaded it so it doesnā€™t matter. :roll_eyes:

I have my favourite 1,000 movies and some of favourite TV series. I wish it could go faster, but I want decent quality.

2 Likes

I just do DVDā€™s and the rips are about 2GB for each movie. I got out of the collecting obsession before Blu-Rays.
I think I just transferred that obsession to music. :laughing:

PS: After thinking about it, it was about 2009 when I started collecting digital music and stopped, for the most part, movie collecting.

1 Like

I use makemkv to decrypt, rip, and mux to to a mkv container. Only compression used is flac on lossless audio at its max settings. I could encode to save space, but that just takes too much time and resources, canā€™t afford to have my computerā€™s resources taken up for that when I have to use it for other things. I ripped a 26 episode anime last week and it was almost 200gb total. Some UltraHD blu-ray movies can be over 80GB or so. It all adds up.

4 Likes

those 12 terrabytes will cover all one piece episodes lol

3 Likes

Nah 12tb is all for his memes and funny pictures.

1 Like

.com will

8 Likes

Soooo I am really excited about this as this is my fair pair of nice headphones.

First of the setup was painless, the d10 connected straight away with no driver issues, I didnā€™t install the drivers until later but I had no issues without them.
I was at first worried about the order and how to plug things into the liquid spark but its all plug and play and everything seems to have protection to stop over volting your equipment so its idiot proof lol.

The headphones at first worried me, I thought they might be broken from the factory or something.
I was listening to music and I was like 'hmm this drum is on my right and surely its meant to be on both or something", as well as just thinking the right driver might be louder or something as I thought the right side was a bit louder or more pronounced.
I did some A/B testing with my old pair of gaming headphones and I must say Iā€™m impressed, the drum (hi-hat) that is on the right, is barely heard on my old pair but on this pair I can not only clearly hear it but tell its on my right.
I have noticed a lot more directionality to sounds with this pair, just listening and being like this is here, that is there sort of thing, honestly I canā€™t tell if I like that yet or not, its nice but overwhelming? maybe.
I have also noticed a lot more different sounds being more pronounced, its like the old pair couldnā€™t reproduce everything that was going on, its sort of interesting to listen to songs that I thought I knew very well and then hearing something you havenā€™t before. It feels weird as you have this feeling of familiarity with the song, yet it feels so different.
To be fair a lot of stuff sounds like it is on my right (makes me think there might be a problem) but I have asked a friend if they can tell if they are louder on either side and they said no, so I assume the headphones are good.
I mostly listen to music on spotify but I did use a few cds to listen to higher quality stuff and you can definitely hear the cut off, as certain sounds just kinda arenā€™t there due to the compression and cut.
Also cdā€™s are really loud, like REALLY loud, like foobar -20db on them, while youtube/spotify and others quiet in comparison.

Overall I am very happy with this and well, thats the most important thing about purchasing anything really. So thanks to you guys for helping me pick this headphone dac/amp combo!

7 Likes

they changed as they didnā€™t beforeā€¦thanks for pointing that out! :smiley:

Looking for new tubes for my Lyr or backup tubes and new socket saversā€¦ Anybody have a good/reliable/affordable source for tubes on the interwebz? Iā€™m nervous about buying the ā€œvalueā€ options from Ukraine, Russia, etcā€¦ All of which are kind of cryptic and say matched but not very clear.

1 Like

Where are you located?

UK?..

https://watfordvalves.com/products.asp?ID=35&mansubsub=184

Their main focus is on tube guitar Amplifiers but I use them for Studio Equipment too. You can get matched pairs and every tube gets test and rated.
Shipping is worldwide.
Which type of tube are you looking for?

2 Likes

Thank you!

what are some good / trustworthy tube sources in the US / Canada?

Checkout completed for ZMF Verite C + Pendant ampā€¦ And now the waiting game begins.

12 Likes

Nice, thatā€™s a sweet pairing, curious to see what you think of them :+1:

1 Like

not N. America, but the watford valve site that ohmboy suggested ships world wide. I ordered from them delivery took a little more than a week. Was pretty much hassle free as if buying from a U.S. retailer