What did you buy today? (Part 1)

My dad got this today for his new home theater

BenQ ht3550

10 Likes

th-x00 vs. tr-x00?

Th fixed cable. Tr removable cable.

4 Likes

Nintendo Switch and Diablo 3. Want something to watch TV with but a tablet and my phone are too depressing with everything going on. I also picked up some LED headlights for my mini-truck since one bulb went out the other day. Lastly, dinner.

2 Likes

What typically happens when someone buys a new headphone amp?.. Yup. Sundaraā€™s will be be here Saturday.

3 Likes

Checked transaction history and original price on TR-X00 Ebony was $520, Purpleheart was $470.

Almost ashamed to say these are probably my most-neglected cans, and I just noticed my Ebonies are S/N 300.

I used these for my office cans for a few weeks, but eventually the bass monster was overwhelming. Theyā€™re fun for an evening of guilty pleasures, but when every song sounded boomy with boxed-in treble it wore me down. I swapped them out for Elegias and never looked back.

Well, at least not until just now when this conversation convinced me I needed to hear some Prodigy. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

5 Likes

in a week or 2 iā€™m going with either IFI or Fiio (zen dac or BTR5)ā€¦ so im stuck between the 2

Iā€™m pretty sure the zen DAC you donā€™t have to charge, so thatā€™s a plus, even if it isnā€™t portable while being smaller.

2 Likes

Overpriced? Yes
Completely unnecessary on SACD? Yes
But the mastering from MoFi is just worlds better than the common, super aggressive 2010 remaster.

6 Likes

did you mean the IFi hip DAC / Amp? that oneā€™s portable and chargesā€¦the Zen is a desktop / stationary DAC / Amp.

I donā€™t want one that charges

I just want to use it for a long time (up to 12 hours) and leave it there so I can use it

I also thought of a dongle DAC for that reason

How DOES an SACD sound

I never heard one

well, you did mention the portable one from Fiio that needs to be charged, hence the confusion.

if you want a good start, the K5 Pro is one to consider.

But canā€™t you just plug it into your laptop and not need to charge it and use it as your DAC?

Technically yes, but itā€™s not made for this, and you pay a premium for the portability and the battery inside. Iā€™d go for the K5 Pro or the iFi Zen dac, if portability isnā€™t your priority. At least you wonā€™t pay for something youā€™re not using.

Also avoids battery hell: ā€œOh, I want to listen to music. Oh, but my smartphone battery is at 5%. Oh, no problem, Iā€™ll take the laptop. Oh crap, my hip dac battery is empty.ā€

1 Like

well, plugged it the battery will be in a constant state of recharging, which you likely know is very bad for batteries in the long term. eventually you will wear the battery out and the DAC will die. it would be much better to get something proper for your circumstances, not shoehorn something that isnā€™t really suitable.

there are a number of good options for DAC / Amp comboā€™s. whatā€™s your budget?

1 Like

Man, come to think of it, why use batteries for portability if donā€™t need (or want!) bluetooth. Even for travel, a K5 Pro or a Zen Dac (etc.), if it can be powered by your phone (or laptop), is perfect in a backpack.

Edit: FiiO K3 and iFi Zen Dac can be usb-powered only. Obviously can sound better with more power because amplification. Not sure about the K5 Pro.

under 200ā€¦ hopefully around the 150 dollarā€¦

i just need something reasonably sized for what i think is a twin size bedā€¦ hence why i was thinking of dongle dacs just so i can use some more powerful headphones like the 6XX or sundara or 770 250ohm, but not need a big thing and just have a very simple size

try looking for a used K5 Proā€¦they will go for $150 or less. :slight_smile:

Perhaps posts #4064-4065, 4067-4068, 4070-4077 be moved to its own amp thread?