What did you buy today? (Part 1)

Thanks for taking the time to provide your observations. It is just a matter of time before I acquire a Soekris DAC, as it is the last piece of my chain that I have been trying to obtain. I am looking forward when I do get one in hopefully in the summer.

It also helps that we share some similar equipment with the tube amp and headphones you used for your reference.

5 Likes

Have you ever heard a Bifrost 2?

I looked at Soekris, but didn’t want an amp but I do want balanced.

Curious on your thoughts.

I own a Bifrost 2. I personally think it is the better DAC as it’s more refined, has balanced out, and the soundstage is is slightly wider…but the Soekris is no slouch. They both are great and I could recommend either one without pause.

7 Likes

Cool. Thanks!

1 Like

I bought a set of Beyerdynamic 177x off @db_Cooper on 4/30 that arrived today. Specifically wanted them for gaming and so far they’ve been great. First time I’ve ever bought anything off any non-Amazon site so was a bit nervous for such a large purchase.

I also dropped off a set of Fostex T60RP for UPS return, they weren’t as nice as the Beyer’s for gaming, too high pitched to the point of pain. I planned on sending those into ModHouse for the Argon mod and trying other pads to tame the higher treble, but each cup creaked if I moved too fast in them and had a studdering driver on low frequency test tones. Talked with Ryan at ModHouse and he recommended the return, and looking around led me to here and the Beyer’s.

Beyer’s are much better for the sound without the painful treble but still has better imaging than my HD6xx’s for games.

db_Cooper was prompt to message me about the 177x’s and offered a really fair price with all the original packaging, accessories, and threw in a custom cable and Dekoni pads (so far like them the best of the three but time will tell) with it. He dropped it off to shipping the next day and covered 2-day shipping!

@M0N was also helpful with the 177x recommendation for the headphones. Looks like M0N is involved with several people’s recommendations on this board!

Wanted to take a minute to thank db_Cooper and M0N publicly and let the community know you’ve got some great and helpful people here.

Thanks guys for all the help!

14 Likes

Nice, glad you are enjoying them :+1:

3 Likes

Yeah I think you will like it… I really enjoy mine…

Beryllium drivers, open backs, slight v-shape. Lackluster mids with the leather pads. Comes with the velour pads when bought from Monoprice, but I got these used without the velour pads, so I need to buy some.

Utopia pads for the Clear. First impressions are theres not much of a difference. Nice pads tho. Very comfortable. Focal pad prices suck haha.

11 Likes

Did you need new pads? Or were just curious how they’d compare? If I had to buy new Clear pads I’d be tempted to just spend the extra $50 for Utopia pads.

1 Like

I’ve seen clear pads on sale for $100. Also, the red pro pads are $150 at Bloom Audio last time I checked a few days ago.

2 Likes

I didn’t need new ones I was just curious and was able to get them for $155.
They sound really close to the same. Need more time then I’ll switch back to the clear pads for comparison.
They’re really comfortable and nice. Also they’ll hold up longer than the Clear pads/easier to clean.
Plus not a huge fan of red so maybe they’re better looking imo.

6 Likes

They do look nice with the black pads. I’m planning to stick Elex pads on my Grey Clear which will look awful lol. When I’m comparing pads, I find it helpful to have one of each on the headphone. So that’s something you may want to try.

I think black pads on the gray clear is cool looking. I don’t know how the clear would react with elex pads tho.

Porta pros finally came in the extra $10 was well worth it

22 Likes

Beautiful! :heart:

I forgot how good these sounded definitely my favorite out of the koss triforce

3 Likes

Did you throw on some Yaxi’s?

Also iems that promised to make music sound like the worst came in. And honestly… I’ve hear worse. They sound more v shaped than the advertised measurements suggested. And have waaaaay less treble than the measurements said. My biddgest complaint with these is the timbre sounds very metallic

4 Likes

Sadly yaxis haven’t arrived yet

1 Like