What did you buy today? (Part 1)

They’re a great headphone! Just know that as a fellow glasses-wearer that the bass is really reliant on a good seal, so if you feel the bass is lacking you might have to take them off or EQ a little bit.

1 Like

@alphamarshan Yeah I have had a lot of people tell me this. I think start of next year I’m going to have to go contacts as much as I don’t want to. Glasses and headphones don’t seem to mix.

1 Like

Glasses wearer myself. I basically always run the Elegia off the Hip-Dac or Zen + Asgard/Liquid Plat for that iFi bass boost. Makes a world of difference.

2 Likes

@WaveTheory What’s the saying? I may not know much, but I know what I like? I think it’s that plus I’m just really confident in what I like. Does not mean I would not own or try a thing because it’s not that. Variety is the spice of life after all. lol

1 Like

:+1:

Awesome. And you’re probably starting to notice you have levels of preferences. My preferred sound signature for most music is strong, deep and impactful bass with lots of detail, great timbre and good spatial re-creation. My Lawtons (closed dynamic) and Hev V2 (open planar) check all those boxes. That works great for rock and metal which is most of my listening. But I don’t always listen to rock/metal. I like classical and jazz too. That’s where the more neutral sound sig with great imaging and detail comes in - DT880 for open and Elegia (without bass boost) for closed. Then the LCD-2 came along and said “I may not be the most attention-grabbing headphone, but put me on and play whatever you want to and after awhile I’ll just disappear.” So, ‘the sound you want to chase’ isn’t always the same sound, IME.

I said this in my Elegia review but it’s worth repeating here. With a proper bass boost the Elegia is like 2 different headphones. It can do more chill acoustic music really well with its stock tuning. It can also punch you in the face with a proper bass boost. It’s also closed and blocks out ambient sound pretty well - even with glasses. So, because it can do all that it will be my office and travel headphone for the forseeable future. Enjoy it!

7 Likes

Canare Quad L-4E6S Neutrik XX Series XLR Female into Neutrik Rean RCA Cable

17 Likes

Got some better cables for my Pendant. I have been using a cheap stereo RCA cable that I had handy. It’s supple enough that I could do a tight bend from the vertical mount on the amp to route the cable under the monitor behind the amp:

While that got the job done, that cable doesn’t have the tightest fit, and could be of better quality. So, I’m upgrading to a better-quality cable with tight-fitting connectors and a pair of 90-degree adapters to avoid cable strain:

51D2UEpOGmL.AC_SY400

41IZOeeISrL.AC_SY400

24 Likes

I guess today is New Interconnect Day. :wink:

3 Likes

last monday seems like today still. I bought myself a Focal Clear Professional on Monday. I’m just spamming every thread with that because i’m very proud about it and it’s the most expensive piece of audio gear i ever bought. I know that’s wrong on many levels but i’m still celebrating.

32 Likes

My set is on the way! I cant wait to hear them :smile:

1 Like

They’re a fantastic headphone. Congratulations. :grin:

1 Like

What did you think of the cables? If I’m not mistaken, they’re the Mogami 2497. I’m curious about your thoughts on them (sonically).

congratulations!! I myself am very happy for you! :wink:

Thanks! What amp/dac are you using?

My buddy just stopped by and dropped off the Amperex Siemens E80CC/6085 tube and picked up his Jack Daniels and bag of coffee that I traded him for the tube, lol.

Sounds really nice upon early impressions. Definitely has detailed and forward treble, but not in a bad way.

22 Likes

currently, i use a Chord Mojo and an SMSL SP200 and i’m enjoying everything about that. But i know i will upgrade in the future.

1 Like

Oh, I just placed the order today, but they’ll be here tomorrow. The Pendant is already mind-blowing with the cheap cable and Susvaras, so I don’t think there’s anything lacking in the cheaper cable, per se. I’m personally not one to put a great deal of stock in cables and sound quality, but there are a few conditions that need to be met: physical build quality should be good, connectors should fit tightly, cable length should be minimized to what you actually need, and analog audio cables (like these) should be protected from interference via shielding and intelligent routing (i.e., don’t bundle RCA cables with power cords).

I own a few short interconnects by World’s Best Cables, and they seem to be above reproach for all of those crucial aspects. The Mogami cable is fairly stiff; a 6" cable for a D50s + Atom stack is enough to lift the DAC a little off the amp–I ended up using a velcro cable tie to contain the bend a little. It might have been better to use a 1’ cable. :slight_smile:

In any case, for me this setup is more peace of mind than anything. I have a lot of crap on my desk, and I trust the Mogami cables to do a better job than the old cables of rejecting any interference. The locking connectors also have a vice-like grip, whereas one of the connections on the old cable had virtually no resistance when plugging and unplugging. I’m not thrilled about using an adapter, but the Mogami cable won’t take a bend well, so I’d rather do a straight run off the back of the Pendant than compromise a nice cable by straining it.

2 Likes

bought some final audio E3000C (aka they have a play pause button and mic)

3 Likes

Ok third time is the charm, Blue Jeans custom 1ft digital coax came in, really impressed with the quality

17 Likes

Got some cheap kzs today so far kinda impressed that a cheap kz hybrid is actually not treble murder and is kinda fun overall and a $6 kz has soundstage with the EDx kz has really stepped it up

12 Likes