What did you buy today? (Part 2)

Finally arrived at the boat (thank you Jim) Serattus #0014…ordered 11/11 delivered yesterday and what a perfect colour for the season :smile: and hohoho I’m now off work till the 3rd of Jan get in there :loud_sound::tada::beers:

14 Likes

They are really ver very good cans…
Having the D8000 Pros, ADX 5000’s, Hedds, Susvaras, Focals, hifi mans etc…
These are right up there at the upper tier for me. for sure.

Absolutely some of the finest planars out there…yes even the new crop of $4K wonders…

Sweet…

5 Likes

So far so good with the Wiim… Got it setup to work natively through the Amazon App rather than a third party app like the wiim home or blue OS app. For me the functionality alone of it working through the native Amazon app makes it a winner over the bluesound node.

From a SQ perspective I’m doing A->B listening right now and they are pretty damn close. I’ve got coax and toslink out of the wiim with coax going directly into my integrated and the toslink going into my holo spring dac. I’ve got the bluesound on coax out into the holo spring. Just cycling through the 3 chain options and have turned all dsp off from the integrated. It’s clear the connections going through the holo are far better than directly into the integrated dac but between the two holo it’s within a few % points.

Hard to beat the wiim for $150 at this point IMO… I may end up buying 3 to have in all my chains and just sell the node. :man_shrugging:

4 Likes

New Speaker Day! Seeing that Roger Sound Labs recently refreshed all of their box speaker designs (matte finishes and build tweaks for less money!), I decided to splurge and grab a pair CG23Ms for a “portable” use passive system since I gave away my old RB42 setup. Not pictured are the SVS Soundbase, cables and stands (well, kinda pictured actually).
People always talk about the Speedwoofer (with good reason), but even though people say that RSL’s speaker lines are amazing price-to-performance, you rarely see reviews! Since they’re such a fantastic little company (US based, family business, Customer Service FAR above and beyond!) I decided to get a pair and use them for on the road. If I end up not using them that much, I’ll probably donate them to someone in need of a setup. I’ve got the home system already set up to test them optimally (High-passed @ 85hz with an SVS SB3000) so I can break them in once they thaw out (it’s -11 WITHOUT windchill outside, brrr!). I will report back once I give them some listening over the weekend!

8 Likes

How do you plan to use these portably? Do you take a power amp or a receiver with you on the road or what? I’ll be looking forward to reading your impressions on them as I have been interested in RSL stuff for a while.

1 Like

I’ll probably have to plan out some box/packing strategies given the length, but I’m gonna take ‘em on the road with the SVS Soundbase I just just scooped from SVS’ Outlet (It’s a pretty compact lil’ nugget of an amp), which I’ll then primarily use with my laptop and/or Hiby r3 Saber.

I may not take them everywhere, but I’ll definitely have some extended stays for work coming up in the new year so having a nice lil’ setup will help me feel more at home. Also, buddies that need setups for a wedding or the like in a house or small venue, something like this will come out clutch. My old setup was a pair of RB42s and an SMSL AD18, which I sold to @Kevin_2 . I also have a pair of Vanatoo T1 Encores that I can use for that purpose, but the flexibility of a passive system is more fun IMO.

2 Likes

Nice! Might be time to see about having a Pelican or SKB case put together for the purpose. Definitely let me/us know how they treat you, though. Congrats on the new speakers! :tada:

1 Like

I’ll probably take a look at Monoprice in the long-term, I once used one of their outdoor cases for a set of Vanatoo T0’s (which I also passed on to a coworker in need).
INITIAL IMPRESSIONS on the CG23Ms (paired with an SB3000, crossed @ 85hz)
Testing these with some TV and movies fluttering around cable, they are immediately clear and well-balanced. Keep in mind that you will want a sub as these have an F3 of 80HZ, but man, the depth on a pair of these with basic positioning is siiiiiiiick and they seem to image pretty well. If one were looking for a simple center channel, one of these would be great without breaking the bank IMO (They run $149 each). It’ll take more time to feel out there finesse and dynamic capabilities, but man, these guys do know how to put together a speaker!

1 Like

Picked up a better cable for the Nanna headed to me from WaveTheory’s review.

5 Likes

I am kind of excited about this one. I found a CD set of one of Karajan’s greatest recordings. I guess they call it the '63 Cycle.

I had the goal of enhancing the classical selections in my collection and I have done that. This one is a fine addition.

9 Likes

How do you like the SVS soundbase? I was looking at them and thinking about getting one for our system that the wife and I use upstairs…It is a pair of Klipsch RP600m’s

Wasn’t expecting these until next week but guess it’s making up for my presents I ordered before black friday still not being here yet lol

5 Likes

I actually haven’t even plugged it in yet (currently running the RSL’s off my normal setup); I’ll run it through some tests this weekend and get back to you. Let me know if there’s any functionality in particular that you guys want me to try out (you can PM me if you want to get real specific).

1 Like

well right side DOA… guess I’ll try again post holiday

1 Like

Nothing really specific…Just the usual things…Performance, functions and sound…I have watched and read a few reviews on it…Just wondering if it is worth it at the price point.

1 Like

Schiit Modi Multibit 2 with NOS capability!
$299

Feeding Piety here and other amps…

16 Likes

Love those ear tips and the new Softears UC tips best two finds this year.

Picked up a mini for the bedside. Really like it so far for when I don’t want to wear headphones and can’t run the Kali’s and sub…

4 Likes

Picked up these beyer pads, want to try them on a few hifiman cans

3 Likes

Here are some photos of these beyer pads on my he400 se… I didnt end up using the sound attenuation pads from the beyer… reused the original ring with mesh backing that came with the hifiman, had to trim the edge of the ring about a millimeter to make the beyer pad fit - looks pretty sweet all silver, sound is very clear and open, very comfortable

9 Likes