What did you buy today? (Part 2)

I am LOVING the Vector Synth. This thing is everything I hoped it would be, and the setup (MIDI config for my DAW, binding of polyphonic aftertouch to controls, etc) is a breeze.

If you’ve ever owned or operated a synthesizer, whether software or hardware, you know that not every synth makes sound design (creating presets) a simple affair. Some synths have many pages of controls and UI stuff, and it can be overwhelming. Others are more focused on sound design.

The Vector synth, while having what some could call an overwhelming amount of UI features along with a novel style, has actually intuitively focused the RIGHT controls in order to allow the producer to quickly (less than 15 mins of learning) become proficient with sound design, performance controls, and even more advanced routing and controls. The 7" multitouch screen is very good, very reliable, and lends itself well to the aforementioned focused design philosophy.

My glorious new fully MPE Vector synth! It arrived in less than 5 days… FROM CZECHOSLOVAKIA!

One critique: the Vector synth’s line out or headphone out both develop what sounds to me like digital distortion if the internal volume is turned up too high. I realized that if I plug this into my audio interface’s regular line level inputs, which do not have analog gain control, I have to turn the Vector’s volume up to around 60%, which introduced some light distortion.

So I swapped inputs, and took over my 2 main analog inputs (guitar and mic…), switched them to line-level, and used their analog gain to boost the input signal from the Vector. With the volume down around 30-40, there is no distortion ever, but the high gain analog inputs pickup a little hiss because of the gain. Its not a big deal and the hiss is very low, but this is a fact. I swapped cables, power, etc, and this is all consistent, and I dont use any USB hub for this, so I think it is the device.

I give this synth 9/10 so far, with the -1 being because of the distortion. My microKORG XL+ and my Arturia Microfreak synths do not generate any distortion on any input in a similar environment, same power circuits, etc.

5 Likes

I recently did a 180 on some headphones that I was trying to sell (Nectar Sound Bee’s). I am enjoying them and decided to keep them.

Also, today I ordered the new Ambrosia dynamic headphones from the same company.

So, in my little pea brain the signals went from “Sell those, they are not working out at all!” To “Never mind, keep them and buy more!” :grin:

11 Likes

Anyone here into basketball shoes? No IEMs at the moment since the Simgot EA500 is still going strong for my use and somehow just keeps getting better and better like wine? Anyway I got these 2 sneakers since one, my older sneakers are getting beaten up due to the lack of indoor courts here and I am not seeing them holding up anymore for further use. And two, these were on sale and I wanted 2 sneakers that is very durable for outdoor use.

If you guys are curious, the names of the shoes are the Li-Ning Way of Wade Son of Flash the first pictures, and the Li-Ning Way of Wade Shadow 4, both are just great hoop shoes both for indoors and outdoors for I have used them both for a while now.

4 Likes

Reference Sound Five has just arrived :microphone:

10 Likes

My set of the XSL X-One has finally arrived. Got some Moondrop Variation tuning filters to go with them for possibly tuning them, wish I got more types to play around with as I bought this set for a fun tuning project due to the driver. Definitely a darker IEM with pretty boomy bass from initial impressions. If anybody could suggest some types of mods to help control the bass and boost the other areas it would be appreciated.

2 Likes

I bought some music today!

Nice additions to the collection, I think. That’s the cool thing about CD’s… you get to play with the jacket material while you listen! There is still something to be said for that.

5 Likes

Because I dont own a Sound Ryhme and I just need another IEM with tuning switches!

3 Likes

Connections! ways to connect
IFI IE match 4.4 and IFI match OG
XLRM to 4.4 balanced
SE to XLR F for my Quicksilver.

5 Likes

I finally ordered a Streamer / file server for my system. Tired of streaming Amazon HD music and listening to music files through my laptop…
This is a good review but this machine does a heck of a lot for the money
A Streamer, and it also has music file storage on an internal M2 SSD up to 4TB ( not included)
It will even let you plug a portable optical disc drive into a specific USB digital input and then rip CD’s directly to the SSD drive inside using a built in ripping program…
I nearly bought a used Bryston DMP 3 but this player is $1200 cheaper and is feature laden .
I will bypass the built in preamp section and DAC and connect it directly to my Primaluna EVO 100 Tube DAC and Primaluna Dialogue Premium Tube Pre amp…
They sold out of these Eversolo DMP-A6 machines everywhere… I won’t likely get one until July or August…They’re going like hot cakes… ( What’s a hot cake, and who eats them ? ):laughing:

7 Likes

https://www.hifonix.co.uk/detail/feliks-audio-echo-2-headphone-amplifier?gclid=Cj0KCQjw7PCjBhDwARIsANo7Cgm_o0ZXVbde9zveMh9f3yqTgemF1uZBz-TtrSbWP7BGKSvxW7dyY3UaAqmAEALw_wcB

Got a 25% discount ( from different supplier) just couldn’t say no.

2 Likes

Well, this took a while! :grin:

The head to head didn’t last long as the Fosi wire wouldn’t connect to my phone. I used the KA5 cable and the Fosi sounded good, but I was not going to wait on a new cable or buy my own.

So, the KA5 is the default winner. Great sound and more power than I need. I do love the up/down buttons, while also being able to skip or reverse tracks. And of course, having a pause button.
Works great with my phone, but I always use a desktop set-up unless I am going out.

I downloaded the app and everything is working great. Kind of pricey, but hopefully it will last for years.

1 Like

I just bought yet another set of headphones. They are the Ambrosia’s from Nectar Sound, a very nice set of dynamics at a pretty good price.

The mids are very nice, the bass is good and there is enough treble to fill out the sound.
I am loving these right out of the box. I started with a few songs on the Valhalla 2 and now I am on to the Little Dot MK9. Seem a little bassier on the LD MK9.

Moved up to the Violectric V220 and the iFi Pro iCAN (with no bass boost or 3D sound effects enabled).
Wow! Great bass and great mids. These are Amazing headphones for $499.00.

I love vocals and bass. These are awesome. Curious how they will do with jazz.

12 Likes

I bought an Audiophile Ninja headphone cable for the 660S.

This is my second one. The first one I got was for the Elegia in the bedroom system. I’m tellin ya, these cables are fantastic. It wears extremely well, I don’t find it to be noisy at all, it looks amazing in my opinion, and it sounds fantastic. It has elevated these cans yet again. Between the Liquid Platinum, the new headband cushion, The ZMF pads, and now this, the 660S is a solid member of the rotation again. Don’t friggin tell me cables don’t matter… They do. Fantastic…

10 Likes

For my work calls I use a schiit Hel and a porta pro headset… Was getting feedback from calls where others were hearing a radio station playing as I talk (I couldnt hear it, but my cables I think were picking up some radio signals)

Picked up a box of these RFI chokes on amazon… These things work pretty great, they are relatively cheap, snap onto the cable and come in different cable sizes, immediately fixed the problem!

8 Likes

Finally getting serious about my desktop setup, trying to maintain my word of 2023 being the year I invest more so in sources rather than transducers, considering (imo of course) how stale the market has gotten lately - finally picked up the last piece of my starter chain;

Topping D10s. For $89 bucks, used, I think along side the Topping L30 I received from my buddy @nymz this will be a decent start to a more mature setup. Eventually I’ll invest more into a “better” amp, maybe next year or so, but for now I think this’ll do just fine.

9 Likes

Amen to that brah :raised_hands:

3 Likes

The Hayday is over, but it was nice while it lasted :man_shrugging:

1 Like

To kinda steal some lyrics regarding the Blon 03…Your candle burned out long before your legend ever did….#1 hype train that started it all lol.

4 Likes

I reckon I joined the forum on the tail end of all the hype, right after the Timeless was released and I wish I had joined before that because man, looking back at older posts it reminds me of that scene in Goodfellas “it was a glorious time…

4 Likes

Cool, man! When my old Marantz receiver croaked I started over on the desktop with a little Topping MX-3, kind of a little all-in-one device. Worked great and in fact I still have it! It’s amazing to me how good these things sound.

2 Likes