What did you buy today? (Part 2)

I looked at the little MX-3 as something that could work for me, but of course, @nymz provided some much-needed wisdom and corrected my money-spending thinking - I instead saved my self $120 and went with just a standalone DAC for now - I almost just pulled the trigger on the FiiO K7 because as an all in one device, it looks amazing on paper. But you’re totally right, you’d be shocked at how good some of these budget devices can sound!

2 Likes

Pre-ordered Moonlight today. I have been waiting for this since SJY mentioned an open back version of Starry Night in the forums. Now I must wait 2 months+ for it to ship, :joy:.

4 Likes

Actually got these Thursday but been busy enjoying as well as everyday life gets in the way
Absolutely awesome Fir audio M5

Major step up in my IEM game for sure and the sound is just beautiful !

9 Likes

Literally just shoved them into my ears after much messing around to get the cable lined up and into the housing. They resemble the iems made for ear canals. But without the personal touch. Initial (very) impression is not bad but there are switches involved I haven’t even got into yet. Comfort is good, using the red/grey tips.

6 Likes

who’s prepping for Prime Day?

While on an excellent mini roadtrip with my lovely Wife, we were in a cool little shop in Sausalito, and I stumbled into something that made me stop and go “Huh”. HA! I needed something decorative for the office that was musical, so I bought a 1/4 scale model of Jimmy Page’s Gibson Doubleneck guitar!

Of course, this is a pic of the real one, but the model is really well done! I like it.

9 Likes

Now THAT’S awesome! Helluva road trip find, bro! :metal::sunglasses:

Edit: Before I read your comment on the pic being of the real one I was thinking, “They did a damn good job. It looks playable…” :man_facepalming:

1 Like

LOL! The model doesn’t look quite that nice! :rofl: But again, it’s really cool. There were a few to choose from. Jimmy’s Flying V was there, some Beetle’s examples as well as one of Eddie Van Halen’s. Somehow this one stood out to me. Looks nice in here with all the lighting and shit!

2 Likes

Pics or it didn’t happen!

I have been pretty impressed at the Topping DX1 for IEMs. I like the AKM DAC, and it can be a DAC/Amp, or just a DAC with the RCA outs. It has similar power to the MX3.

The MX3 has bluetooth, and the digital display, for about $40 more, but I can’t seem to find what DAC chip it uses.

The Bluetooth function is definitely really cool, but in my head, I already have the BTR7 if I’m on the go and unless I had some kind of speaker set up in my living room and I was far away from the source, Bluetooth isn’t incredibly important to me.

Regardless, my comment didn’t age well, my FiiO K7 should be arriving tonight :melting_face:

3 Likes

I am pretty sure you will love K7, its an amazing all in one unit and at least for me there is really no need for Bluetooth

1 Like

I am guessing you will enjoy it.

The DX1 was an experiment for me. I like the AKM on the 7Hz 71, so I liked the idea of a DAC with it, but Schiit didn’t have the AKM version of the Modi anymore ( they switched to the ES9018, and my BTR5 had the ES9218P ). I figured if the DX1 didn’t have enough power, I would get either the Magni, or the XDuoo MT-602 ( which I am still thinking about that, since I don’t own any tubes ).

I have three USB dongles ( 7Hz 71, Periodic Rhodium, Apple ), the BTR5, and the DX1. The 7Hz 71 was how I learned I liked the AKM DAC, and it was only $35. The Rhodium is a bit bright neutral, and doesn’t match well with everything. Where it gives some extra space on some IEMs, on the Tea2, it sounds like it is at the bottom of a well.

I have to confess that both the XDuoo MT-602 and the Topping G5 are calling me, so I get the “stuff I don’t need” conversation. I could have stopped at my first source ( BTR5 ) and been pretty happy, but no I am an audiophile, so I am not allowed to be happy with my gear.

2 Likes

It now makes sense to me when people focus on the specific DAC and amp portion of the hardware when it comes to choosing a DAC/amp. Before, I had a vague understanding and really didn’t take that into account for the most part when choosing the BTR7 for example. I just knew that the sum of all its parts, like features and power output, were perfect for me.

Now, the THX amps have my attention. Before, the K7 really worked for me because of the attainable price tag, inclusion of a 4.4 balanced output and it’s small for factor. This latest purchase was truly fuled by the THX amps inside.

I need to test these out against my D10s + L30 stack because there is truly something going on inside of the BTR7 that has my attention. The texture and spaciousness of the sound is almost something the L30 can’t do. While the stage and transient response seems better on the stack, there’s something quite special about the BTR7 and I think it just may come down to the THX Amps but honeslty, I have no idea.

If the K7 ends up being truly better than my stack, I’ll be moving it along to someone for a ridiculous price, so that they too can have a chance at having a damn good desktop setup without going bankrupt.

I always appreciate your interactions, John :handshake:

2 Likes

You know, I left my cell phone at home that day. A day free of the electronic leash. However, as a follow up I was in the room listening Friday night, when it hit me that we had an old mini drum set model that we were going to give my Nephew but for whatever reason we never did. It’s been sitting in a closet for over 15 years. THEN I jumped online and found a cool replica of a Fender Jazz Bass just like the one my big brother used to play years ago. I just got it an hour ago (very quick!) So now when you walk into the “Office/Music Room” You see this.

Ultimately, I will probably replace the drum set as they have some nice ones out there! I dunno, kinda fun. I like 'em.

9 Likes

Another set of new sneakers, for I sold my ones earlier and I no longer use them. Man it looks really cool in person and colors are just fire for me imo. This is the Li-Ning Wade Fission 8 to those who are curious about it. Maybe someday I’ll buy a new set of IEMs to use.

4 Likes

Yaxi goodies for some headphones. Porta-pro pads for the KPH40, change of pads for the K712 and STD pads with adapters for the Drop Pandas. Also, the posters are interesting but I thinks they overdid a little.

Also, bought a Peachtree Nova 150 refurbished. $699 was a heck of a deal. Can’t wait to try it out.

4 Likes

PC-O11 Air Mini showed up today and got my system swapped over. Got a pair of wireless PS3 controllers in a few days ago, and a charging dock for them should be showing up later today.
Picked up a US flag and put it up outside.

4 Likes

Nice. Long may she wave.

5 Likes

Thanks to an estate sale near my parents in law, a pillar drill and band saw. Pumped! They’re older makes so probably a lot better made than even the most affordable new ones which would still be beyond me. Got a better than usual jigsaw too. Also a bunch of G clamps, many a drill bit, and a boxful of Dremel heads! That’s a lot of craft and repair needs right there.

6 Likes