What did you buy today? (Part 2)

Hello,
As far as I know, the cd’s had a write protection at that time.
So it’s possible that’s why you can’t rip them.
Which ripping programme do you use?

By the way, I still have the Rage against the Maschine cd collection in the basement somewhere.
Meanwhile I stream them when I feel like it.
The album on the top right of your picture I still have on vinyl and it’s really divine to hear on the record.

2 Likes

New headphone Hanger/Stand

Still not sure this is the best solution for a “Strap Suspension” headband, but it looks nice. I have resigned myself to the fact that I will need to order a couple replacement straps so that I can replace them as needed when they inevitably stretch over time.

16 Likes

2 other tracks had minor issues, so I’m just gonna be a scurvy dog and get the files on the seven seas.

I use EAC for my rips and this is the first time I’ve ever had this much of an issue.

A bunch of yaxis arrived today, also got ZMF universe (hybrid perf) for my T1.2, after 2 previous pad roll attempts to raise the vocals/piano, they finally came out to the front.

9 Likes

I had that happen on a CD - In EAC I enabled burst mode… I know, I know - but the track then ripped and after listening I could not detect (to my ears) any issues.

I can not get a new copy even if I wanted to. I had to scour the earth on end to find a used disc and then the one I found they wanted over $100 for… and it would still be used - so pay money and take my chances.

So, even though it bugs the heck out of me that perhaps that track is not perfect - I let it go.

http://cue.tools/wiki/CUETools_Download

Check out CUETools. If you have any rips that fail the Accuraterip verification, there’s a chance CUETools can repair the bad rip. It depends on how many bad sectors there are and how many successful rips are in the CUETools database.

CUERipper is also worth a look. I prefer it to EAC.

2 Likes

The real issue is that it just did NOT want to rip that first track. At first it said 8+ hours for the whole CD. After I skipped that track it dropped to less than 1 hour and actually finished in like 30 min. So I just swashbuckled that first track because it was easier and I already bought the CD, so it’s not like I’m stealing. Thankfully I dont hear anything wrong with the other 2 tracks that had errors.

Motorhead: no remorse and Rage: evil empire both worked fine, so I’m just going to assume the disk it a bit defective and keep a zip of the flac files so I don’t have to deal with this in the future.

1 Like

Alright, I had to write up a brief follow up because I am kinda shocked here. I have had most of the day to evaluate the system since the purifier went in. I did make some prep steps before this purifier arrived. I tore out the whole power plant and removed things like lights etc. to eliminate those things from the circuit. Then I completely separated analog cables from power. Finally, I made it so the purifier is the first thing the power sees when it enters the strip.

Now, when I installed this power purifier, I wasn’t really expecting much of anything in terms of sound improvement; it was more just piece of mind knowing it was there working in the back ground. But I’ll be dipped, there is something going on here. The music does sound better. It’s very subtle but things have improved. I’ll try to point out some things, 'cause I know y’all are laughin at me right now!

First thing that stood out to me was how drums are sounding better, tighter. You can feel the head of the bass pedal striking the skin much better. Rolls, especially from higher drum to lower are more defined. Snare’s sound really good now. Symbols don’t just roll off anymore, and when a drummer or percussionist hits the top part of the symbol, to get that certain ring, you really hear that now. The music seems to have more space now, more detail, I can hear even more than I did before. I can feel a bit more bass, And when it’s supposed to be quiet, it’s very, very quiet.

So there it is. This thing really works! Shit I might get another one. I have made provisions for another to put in what they call the third position below.

I am now really anxious to get the USB recovery module. I’m not sure it can get much better than this, but we’ll see. It’s fun working at it. Especially when you can achieve a positive outcome.

7 Likes

Posted in ‘What are you listening to tonight?’ New toys finally arrived.

11 Likes

You are hearing things; cleaner power equating to better dynamics, imaging, and separation along with a quieter background.

Just wait till you start to get fancy cables…

You’ll truly understand the term “signal/noise”.

2 Likes

Maybe we should start a thread on iPurifier type products? Supply filters, signal isolators, re-clockers, etc. I’ve had good and bad experiences trying these out, and it would be interesting to get broader feedback from the HiFi Guides community on them…

We could name the thread “YMMV” - since that always seems to be the caveat on this topic

1 Like

Actually I think that would be a good idea. For the record I was a real skeptic in terms of what impact certain cables would have on an audio system. Which is kinda silly since these kinds of things were critical when I was running my HAM radio station. Cable hygiene, a good ground base and good impedance matching were paramount in putting out a good signal. Delivering clean power to the gear was also very important. Seems all those things apply here as well.

1 Like

Got the Elegia today. First impressions are great. The case is very nice and the build is sturdy feeling. The plastic for the cups feels better than expected.

They also look great.

The cable is almost unusably janky though. Hopefully I can straighten it out, otherwise I’ll have to get a hart audio cable.

Sound impressions will come later after I’ve actually listened for more than 15 min.

23 Likes

ok, i’ll do it! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Good luck :joy: I tried hanging it for over a month, it did nothing…

2 Likes

@Raptor168 YMMV thread started:

This should be fun!

3 Likes

My Fellowes micro gel keyboard rest and mouse pad came in today (so much better) and one of the programmers was nice enough to make me some custom steel monitor stands, Happy Tuesday…

9 Likes

sweet!

those stands almost makes it look like the monitors area floating

2 Likes

and the storage underneath is nice to have, future upgrade will be a dac/amp there

1 Like