What did you buy today? (Part 2)

I can’t tell if that was simply ‘no pun intended’, or crafty wording :laughing:

5 Likes

I think we’re gonna need a bigger boat.

2 Likes

Dt770’s to go with my dt770s. I think I have a problem. The dt770s are going back to being used mobile. Right when i get the new 770s i drop them on my old 770s and scuff the decade old cups :sob::sob::sob:.

9 Likes

Got some good stuff in the last two days

Denafrips Iris
Aqua de la Voce
Susvara

37 Likes

RHA Tips? might take a look on those since I need some better tips for my T2s along with a softer cable, the JCALLY cable for it is fine but a bit hard.

Got my new comfort strap for the t60rp from modhouse today. Finally done with my argon-lite conversion, hah. I wonder if I even want to send them off to get the modhouse treatment, I kind of like them as they are right now.

These headphones have truly gone from one of the most uncomfortable (long term comfort) and least utilized headphones in my collection to my most comfortable and used. They’re just so damn fun to listen to and now I can wear them for infinite amounts of time!

13 Likes

If you send them to modhouse be prepared to not be able to see them for a few months…

1 Like

Yeah that’s why I’m considering not sending them. On the other hand it’s not like I can anytime soon, with the mod slots being sold off faster than I can update the store page.

Just got the AK DAC. I thought I would hate the permanent USB C, but I think it’s the right decision to make it permanent. Usually dongle DACs that have detachable cable would disconnect for a moment if you nudge it too much, but not for the AK DAC. It also feels robust, so I think I don’t have to worry about the cable breaking in the future.

Edit: Hmm something weird just happened. I used Wasapi in Foobar2k to play DSD album, but for some reason none of the volume control works. It simply blasted my ears at full volume. A weird quirk huh.

5 Likes

WASAPI bypasses Windows volume control, sending “all the bits” to the DAC. I think the Foobar volume should still work though. Typically you would have a separate amp with volume control on desktop.

Yes that was what I did. I controlled the volume through Foobar’s volume slider. It didn’t do anything for DSD. It does everything else just fine tho.

Weird, never used DSD myself. Foobar bug maybe?

Nah, I don’t think it’s a bug. My other dongle DAC that also doesn’t have a volume control is Questyle M12 and it does just fine with it. Curious if someone else have the same problem.

Finally got my hands on a BF2! Also, it seems that I actually got a PS5 purchased from Walmart yesterday.

28 Likes

You have to get a DSD decoder - I looked into it a long while ago - not so sure how relevant this is anymore but it is a start.

I went Roon and have never looked back - It was tough leaving Foobar as it was with me for so long, but things change over time and I moved on. Foobar was very very good to me and I don’t have anything negative to say about it.

21 Likes

Too excited to have this plugged in and running, out of focus shot of the Lake People RS-08. Last piece of the puzzle will be a dac to pair with this and im thinking
used Ares II but i wont turn down a Bifrost 2.

EDIT** So fun hearing the difference between the e30 and micro BL DAC! Time to save for better DAC!

19 Likes

I would be very interested to hear your comparison of the RS-08 to other amps you’ve tried.

1 Like

Got a pair of Grado today

17 Likes

I have the asgard 3, the bottlehead crack with speedball, and ifi micro bl to compare using the Aeon 2 closed with the micro bl dac.

From initial impressions, the sound from the rs-08 comes off more forward and detailed compared to the asgard 3. Details on the rs-08 are better defined where to me the asgard 3 sounds rounded off, smooth and warm and less defining in the details in comparison. Rs-08 doesnt have the warmth of the asgard and is more neutral. I would say the asgard 3 seems a tiny bit laid back in comparison to the rs-08. Rs-08 doesnt smooth off the highs like the asgard and i havent run into any sibilance issues personally. The rs-08 sounds more dynamic than the asgard 3 imo and the low end has good impact and I believe better impact than the asgard 3 but the asgard 3 rumbles more. The rs-08 sounds more natural in comparison to the asgard 3. Asgard 3 has more of that holographic sound. Very happy to have them both now that I can compare.

Ifi micro bl compared to the rs-08 using the ifi micro bl as the dac. Its hard to compare them because they dont sound too different but from what i can initially tell is the rs-08 sound like it has better resolution, clarity, and detail but the micro bl is not very far behind from what I can tell. The micro bl is slightly warm in comparison. Switching back and forth, it seems the rs-08 sounds more full and impactful. I really really like the ifi micro bl. My choice for portability with little to no compromise for my wants. Ill have to compare them again when I get a better dac.

Compared to the tube amp, bottlehead crack w/ speedball and switching to the t1.2 since a2c cant tube, the crack is more fun, more low end, mids are more forward and tubey. Rs-08 better detail, separation, resolution and a step up in technicalities I believe. Rs-08 doesnt sound as busy as the crack from initial impressions.

So happy to have these amps. These are my end game amps since I dont plan on going over 1k price mark anytime soon. I like these ‘flavors’ i get to choose from.

Edit ** The dt880’s on the Lake people rs-08! Need to get them balanced now.

3 Likes