What did you make today? DIY thread!

Making some more RCA cables. I used the blue Canare L-4E6S starquad cable this time.
These cheap AliExpress connectors turned out to be exceptionally good for the price. They’ve got a solid build and come with grommets for small diameter cable. The budget Rean’s (bottom picture) don’t come with any grommets and cost twice as much. But they arguably have the better clamp style. The AliExpress one has the same kind of clamp Monoprice’s cheap Coax RCAs use.

AliExpress QUEYINFANG RCA connectors, $0.62
Rean NYS352BG RCA Plug, $1.35
Rean NYS352G RCA Plug, $1.20
Canare L-4E6S Star-Quad Microphone Cable, $0.48 per foot

AliExpress connectors

5 Likes

And I also recently finished my HE-6se cable. I nearly lost my sanity doing those two 4-wire braids lol. Total cost was about $25.

If your buying the same 3.5mm Rean connectors I used for another HE-6se, make sure they’re the current rev which has the extended jack. Though I imagine there’s hardly any old ones floating around considering how popular these are for DIY cables.
The splitter I used worked great except that it has has a slot instead of two separate wire holes. I used heat shrink to ensure it never slides down the cable.

BOM
2X Neutrik Rean NYS226BG 3.5mm Mono, $1.33
Neutrik NC4MXX-B Male 4-Pin XLR, $4.60
AliExpress 8-Wire Prebraided cable, $10 for 5m
AliExpress Cable Splitter, $3.77

Here’s a photo with them connected. The Rean connectors look a bit bulky on them. Is anyone knows of a good, more compact alternative, let me know.

7 Likes

Those cheap rean connectors are awesome. I’ve used them in a car audio system and even with my crappy soldering skills they have held up really really well.

1 Like

SMPS Filter
$10

2 Likes

DT 1990 drop in balanced jack

Edit: made a v2 to clean up the leads a bit:

4 Likes

Ok so silly project. Had a Burson v6 Vivid sitting collecting dust and decided to put it into a douk u3 amplifier ($35-40) and holy fuckballs. Turned this thing into a bass cannon amp. It’s rated at ~1.3w@32ohm (class A though!) and it drives like it. Clarity and bass authority shot up so hard it blew my mind.

Barely fit and took lots of shaping on the little flex cable and had to bend some stuff slightly

5 Likes

I assembled an acoustic treatment panel in my speaker room!

5 Likes

Those Stellia hanging there out front?

Clear MG. :shushing_face: don’t tell anyone :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

My bad

Nice wall :+1:

Just realized I forgot to post this here
I sorted of cheated with this one. I bought a extra long version of this cable from XinHS and just told him to not add any connectors. He can add Sennheiser connectors for you. But I didn’t like the style he had available. I also had him install a different Y-split since I hate the carbon inlay style stuff and this one looked nice it the photos; the build for it turned out to be kinda cheap, so I don’t recommend it.

The cable ended up costing $35, which seems a bit high considering the lack of connectors. But then again, I think they’re braiding this style by hand. The only thing I need to do is find some good heat shrink for the connectors which I’ll probably borrow from work. Total cost for this cable came out to about $50.

Sennheiser Connectors, $9
Litz Cable from XinHS

This particular cable ended up being difficult to work with due to its weird coaxial design. It has an outer layer of of regular copper and an inner layer of silver plated copper. The inner layer has its own insulation layer that needs to be carefully stripped off.

3 Likes

Quite some time since I have built it but enjoyed it tremendously.

Litze wire is a pain to work with…use a solder pot to remove all the insulation on the individual wires.

1 Like

It is fine, when you know that it is Litze.

Or the blue part of a lighter flame (or small torch). The solder bath is the proper way though.

I didn’t know solder pots were a thing. That’ll make tinning my wires easy

Made this cable for the HD600. I’m quite happy with how this one turned out. The Y-split is basically just a cylinder with a straight hole—so getting the perfect amount of heatshrink to keep it in place was a pain.

For the braid, I went with a simplest style shown here:
How to do a 4 Strand Braid or Plait - Craft Basics with Red Ted Art - YouTube
It’s much easier compared to the cross style I used for the HE6se cable in the earlier post.

BOM
HD600 Connectors from Ebay, $8.50
Neutrik NC4MXX-B Male 4-Pin XLR, $4.71
AliExpress 8-Wire Prebraided cable , $10 for 5m
AliExpress Cable Splitter , $2.65

3 Likes