What did you make today? DIY thread!

We have a thread for purchases, a thread for returns…
how about a thread for things we made ourselves? :slight_smile:

1 Like

I made a cable today!

Balanced Mini XLR => 2 x 3.5mm

I used some bulk 26 AWG 4 conductor cable, a 4-pin mini XLR female jack, 2 really nice 3.5mm male jacks and some electrical tape. All cables soldered on the connectors. I ended up splitting the cable in half and driving two full cables, once to each 3.5mm plug. In retrospect, I should have bought some 2 conductor cable for those parts, but it’s all right. This was mostly training for my upcoming DT 770 mods.

Tested the cable on the balanced BTR5 output, using Hart’s 2.5mm cable. Sounds great! Now I can use my Sundara with all the other Hart Cables I have, yay.

Soldering the 3.5mm ends was very easy. The mini XLR was a pain, but I also started with it, and I was very rusty (hadn’t soldered anything in a few years). Next time I’ll do better. Sorry, no photos of the XLR, I had to tape it since the cable wouldn’t fit through the back of the connector so I can’t re-open it.

I initially thought I screwed up, because the right channel was breaking up, but it turned out to be the Hart Cable -.- I taped it into an angle and it’s working fine now :stuck_out_tongue: I’ll ask Hart for a replacement, I just got this a couple of days ago.

2 Likes

DIY Headphone Stand

Got the idea after seeing @FBizzle’s post.

I also wanted the base big enough so I could put my Atom Dac/Amp on it.

• (1) 1/2" floor flange
  • (1) 1/2" x 12
  • (1) 1/2" x 8
  • (1) 1/2" 90 elbow
  • (1) 3/4’ pipe insulation
  • base (I had wood laying around that I used)
  • screws

*ps: Too lazy to paint the base. I’ll paint it eventually. :joy:

There’s enough room for two headphones.

5 Likes

Well. This was a pain to make.
But I had fun :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Nice! Balanced mini XLR like the 177x Go?

I posted this over at “what did u buy today”…but then I saw this DIY thread:

Well I bought 12 ft of Canare cable, a set of Rean connectors and a 4 pin male XLR and some Tech Flex and this is what happend after an hour of work:

Relatively easy to make…and you can make the Y split to any size that makes you happy with…

…and only $40! Includes tax and shipping!

:grinning: :grinning: :grinning:

These are for HEDD’s…onlyused six feet, going to build a set of balanced for my HD600s.

5 Likes

Yes!

Allows me to tap into BTR5’s full power :slight_smile:

1 Like

Spent the day building this pull-out desk extension so that my desk now has room for bigger speakers and more gear.

(No, that is not a pleasure stain on my mousemat. It is actually a burn mark from when one of my speakers caught on fire last year.)

2 Likes