šŸ”¶ Hifiman HE6SE

Woah! No, Danā€™s HIFIMAN review. I like the A90 a lot. Iā€™m not interested in coloration what so ever. Iā€™m interested in clarity, resolution and detail and the A90 & D90se do a great job of that. I also listen to sensitive IEMs all the time at my desk so I need an amp that can power my JBL monitors, sensitive IEMs and the HE6se along with all the rest of my headphones.

I have had lots of other amps and have other amps in my stable that donā€™t get used as much as the A90.

Different stroke for different folks.

1 Like

I totally get not wanting to hear the amp. The coloration from the soloist absolutely does not work with everything but I would argue you donā€™t lose any clarity, resolution, or detail on it vs the a90. Actually I feel like the burson has a touch more resolution, with the clarity and detail being about even and the stock vivid v6 duals just bump the bass up a tiny bit to where it feels more right on the he6se v2 specifically (and honestly most hifimans, gotta just be that it meshes well with their house sound) but I could easily see it not being for everyone. After going through the first 6 months of having the he6 on the a90 I felt like I knew everything they were capable of with EQ and all but thereā€™s just something special about the synergy the he6se and the burson have and though itā€™s not that analytical it can really be a lot of fun. Did not experience hard planar bass slam until the burson and honestly just thought initially that planars werenā€™t capable of that dynamic style slam until then. Maybe Iā€™ll send you one some day and force your hand :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

@Pokrog what was the chifi speaker amp you used for the he6? you still use that?

Nah, it was more of a test mule for opamps honestly. Easy to roll and donā€™t care if I leave it open cause it was dirt cheap. It was honestly not bad at all but it was really picky with opamps and the noise floor was really touchy depending on how the power supply (stock one was horrible but easily replaced) was plugged in. Like if it wasnā€™t clocked just perfectly it would hiss like mad and Iā€™m sure it was just a bad contact inside of the barrel plug and I got unlucky. The parasound a21+ is my definite go to for speaker amps, but there were some opamp combos that made the A07 actually pretty enjoyable. Found that I just have a love for the burson sound and the vivids swapped into it were just amazing but it was $200 in opamps in a $70 amp. Drove with some serious authority though and for the price not all that bad.

If you could find a pair of v6 vivid duals for cheap used and slap them in that A07 and keep it under $200 itā€™s solid for the price on the he6se

1 Like

I know for a fact the aiyima a07 is a very solid bang for buck class D stock, anyway thanks for the info, I wonder how it competes with $200 5watt magnius.

Right now I own about 11 dynamics and 0 planars, Iā€™ve always thought the he6se or he1k can be the one to change my perspective on them but currently not on my wishlist cause of crazy power requierements.

I wonder which is the cheapest amp anyone has been able to drive the he6 with authority, right now seems like bridged emotiva bas-x and pokrogs modded aiyima, that being with inferior results to proper amps.

I originally got a basx for 600ohm 880s and 990s and it was alright, but with planars the grain is just unbearable. Dynamics didnā€™t pick up on it nearly as much, but itā€™s just awful on planars. If a little bit of noise floor doesnā€™t bother you (and when things are playing its almost a non issue) What did you make today? DIY thread! - #26 by Pokrog that thing got hilariously close but just didnā€™t have the bass presence without the opamp swap so its back into that territory of turd polishing. It was honestly better tonality wise specifically with the he6 than any amp Iā€™ve heard under $300 and even amps up to around $500 didnā€™t have as much bass presence. If you ever want to give it a try, itā€™s not going anywhere anytime soon, just gonna collect dust for a while and as long as you cover shipping (itā€™s tiny so i canā€™t imagine shipping would be very much) Iā€™d let you try it out. A single used v6 vivid dual goes for around $50 on the used market so that plus the $35 amp itself and a ~$10 power supply for it (it comes with a janky usb to barrel plug power supply) it can still be under $100 on it. It reminds me of an asgard 3 in a lot of ways but with significantly more bass and a little bit higher noise floor.

1 Like

theres the burson funk or burson playmate 2 thats cheaper than the soloist and might run well

1 Like

for sure, just a little more dust collecting though, cause I dont think Iā€™ll get he6 anytime soon (currently spending on a speaker system)

very very interesting mod, the burson funk recommended by blackrao also has an option to include that vivid v6, I now wonder what that little thing can do to opamps, seems like a modders dream.

Those burson seem very proper, maybe for the price its more worth going for a soloist though.

If anyone has tested the he6 v2 with the schiit magnius let me know, that may be a killer $900 combo, maybe its very close to the Jot.

The funk was actually fantastic but the soloist has way better channel separation and it shows. I might get another one some day but with powered monitors the soloist is basically the same thing with almost 3x the power for headphones and better channel separation.

1 Like

I just ordered these tonight. Pretty jacked, but also nervous. I have yet to love a set of HiFimanā€™s, but I am hopeful. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

pads are an absolute must, imo. apart from that they are the single pickiest headphones iā€™ve ever owned when it comes to amps and i honestly considered selling them quite a few times when only using them on an a90. they sent me on a journey through speaker amps that was just stupid expensive but a pretty good learning experience. now that i have a supercharger on my soloist, iā€™m gonna have to go back and do some reevaluating vs my parasound speaker amp cause holy shit it might be better all around now.

also grills are nice as well but arenā€™t nearly as significant as pads.

i guess i should also add they are the best headphones iā€™ve heard in my life when synergized right and not by a small amount.

1 Like

I am anxious to hook them up to my iFi Pro iCAN.
And I will be curious to try them on my Liquid Platinum and Violectric V220. Not super powerful, but interesting amps. I like them on everything, although different headphones for each.

What kind of pads? And I will have to look into grills. I am really curious about grills vs no grills.

if you donā€™t want to buy the $10 adapter rings from hifiman i recommend just destroying the pads they come with and using the ring inside. i have pretty much settled on the brainwavz XL gaming micro suedes (the ones with the ā€œcooling gelā€ inside of them). they arenā€™t the nicest feeling pads ever but they drastically stretch the soundstage out because of how much deeper and wider they are and give the bass a bit of a lift (which may be that they seal that much better and i think its because of that gel outer layer being slightly more rigid than squishier pads) and though they arenā€™t nearly the quality of dekonis, theyā€™re half the price and to my ears sound quite a bit better.

the grills are here. i would say even though the soundstage on the he6se is pretty decently big, with pads and grills it gets up there into the upper bracket of soundstage size.

i havenā€™t heard the ican but iā€™ve heard other ifi bass boosts and they were pretty well done and iā€™m sure itā€™s even better on that behemoth. theres something special about the burson vivid opamps with the he6 that lifts the bass to where it needs to be but i could imagine the bass boost on the ifi being good enough. the v shape of the vivids ups the treble a tiny bit too to a slightly better and more forward amount without being too much and because of that i run zero EQ on the he6, and thats about the only headphone iā€™ve ever done that with if that means anything.

2 Likes

Yes, they are!

4 Likes

400ses are collecting some serious dust lol

3 Likes

With this amp I am loving max bass boost and max 3D sound. They make a gigantic difference with the Monoprice M1570ā€™s and I am really hoping they do the same trick on these.

I read somewhere that the ring within the dekoni hifiman HE series pads can be removed. Can anyone confirm this?

I saw a recommendation of using dekoni hifiman pads on dt177x. If the ring is removable, then I can use the dekoni pads on my Beyer and use the ring to fix the brainwavz XL gaming suede pads on my He6se v2

Iā€™m planning to get M1570 at black friday? I guess I can now wait for your comparison between he6se v2 and m1570 before hitting the buy now button!

I think the M1570ā€™s are still on sale at Wal-Mart.

if theyā€™re anything like the stock pads you have to tear the pads off and maybe use a little bit of glue remover on the ring because the pads are glued on.