What do you have on the grill or skillet?

I love Detroit style. It’s more like a pan pizza than a deep dish. I own a special pan and everything for it.

2 Likes

fair enough, you’re right it’s like a mega pan as opposed to the chicago thats closer to a casserole. the Detroit crust is on another level, probably all the butter lol.

Yeah for sure. I love Detroit/pan style, but I couldn’t do it all the time. It’s basically fried dough. Which I love, but pizza doesn’t need to be less healthy.

2 Likes

fried dough, one of my many fatal weaknesses :laughing:

2 Likes

Apocalypse recipes! There’s some good cooking going on out there. :clap: :clap: :clap:

1 Like

Chicken wing prices in the US are the lowest price they’ve been since 9/11. The NCAA Basketball tournament getting canceled left us with over a million pounds of surplus, so pick some up on the cheap while they are discounted. I bought a 40lb box today from my butcher, which is absurd, but after cooking some up tonight I have no regrets. I will be sick of Buffalo wings soon, so I started with Korean fried wings tonight:

6 Likes

This is a staple recipe for me, COVID-19 or not. If you like spicy food, 100% use the full tablespoon of cayenne this recipe calls for. I’ve never seen pickled pork butt here in NJ, but I always sub a ham hock or 1lb smoked pork butt for it in the recipe:

Here is tonight’s outcome prior to ladling it over rice. Way more pork than beans, but the kitchen smells like pepper spray (in a good way)

This is a sneaky good taco/burrito filling as well

4 Likes

I made a maple chipotle glaze for a spiral ham that turned out well:

And I made about 8 gallons of pozole verde with blue hominy:

11 Likes

I kind of did both of the above cooks without recipes, but here are two that will get you somewhere close if you wanted to try either:

I’m a huge fan of Serious Eats, and Malcolm makes some pretty great bbq/smoker how to’s. Both taste like way more effort was put into them, which is what makes the best recipes.

3 Likes

@Onaha, I tried the fried rice recipe and added a few of my own ingredients, damn it came out good, thank you kind sir, i would never have thought of that!

6 Likes

Awesome! And yes, it’s a pretty blank slate in terms of what you can do with it. Better ramen means better flavored spice packets, but I’m sure the cheaper brands work just as well. I’m a sucker for spicy food, so I’ll usually use some gochujang or something similar. Real vegetables almost make it too classy

1 Like

Cleaned the backyard. Threw on some Santa Maria Tri-Tip, hot dogs (4kids), corn on the cob, and some chicken marinating will be on the grill soon too.

5 Likes

My butcher sells tri-tip and he tells me that I’m one of the few customers he has that doesn’t ask him what to do with it. It’s super uncommon here on the East Coast. Great bbq cut

4 Likes

Not necessarily always the simplest of recipes using common ingredients, but this is a great cooking channel on youtube:

Kenji is a chef I’ve been following for a long time. He really takes a scientific approach to cooking that I personally enjoy. If you understand the science behind why a recipe works, chances are you can repeat it with consistency. He used to be the head writer at seriouseats.com, and had a great cookbook called the Food Lab that I recommend. Due to the shutdown, he has been putting out pov recipes almost every day and I’ve tried a few outside of my normal comfort zone

2 Likes

Have you followed Alton Brown recipes? He seems to be a similar ‘cooking with science’ fellow. I did enjoy Good Eats when it came out, tbh.

1 Like

I do like a lot of Alton Brown’s stuff, and I think Kenji was almost certainly influenced by him, but it seems like Alton has moved more into judging cooking competitions vs. actually doing much cooking himself the past few years. I’m not a big fan of cooking shows since, after editing it down to 22 minutes with commercials, it’s almost entirely impossible to replicate step by step and the focus is as much on plating and presentation as it is about making the food taste good which is really all I care about. Food Wishes is another good youtube channel for me. I’ve been watching Chef John for years

I didn’t know he had a youtube channel. I’ve come across some of his recipes on allrecipes.com and they came out great. I’ll check out Food Wishes and Kenji, I should be subscribed to more food content so why not start now. My next food goal is Robert’s Puerco Pibil. Maybe I’ll get the ingredients tomorrow…

He may not be associated with allrecipes any longer, but that’s how I found him too. If you can’t find a banana leaf for the pibil, tin foil works fine and will probably do a better job of keeping it moist. I’ve also made it in a Dutch oven with good results removing the lid at the end to release some of the moisture

Fried chicken sandwich:

image1 (3)

9 Likes

Like a lot of people, I’ve been making a lot of bread during the shutdown. As a lazy person, I really prefer the no-knead varieties and I combine the Artisan Bread in 5 Minutes a Day recipe with Jim Lahey’s recommendation to cook in a covered Dutch oven. Results are almost always great:

5 Likes