What headphones can i get as an intro to audiophile world?

What price range would be flexible for you if you wanted to consider it? Also would you prefer the more neutral focus of the 6xx (well more mid-range focus tbh)?

1 Like

For an amp, maybe $100 max,. I don’t know what exactly I like, but yes I would want neutral preferably, since I can eq songs to my liking if I don’t like them lol

Hmmm, I would say you could grab a schiit magni heresy and run it without a dac, and then save up for a dac. If you wanted an all in one then the fiio k5 pro would be a bit more than your budget but also include a dac.

In the future you also would want to consider getting a tube amp like the little dot mk2 as the 6xx pair very well with a tube amp for more enjoyment

1 Like

I’d prefer get the all in one. So the fiio k5 pro. But the tube amp looks really interesting. Can I please have a summary of what it is? There’s an option in my phone built in which simulates a tube amp, which kind of gives the music a slight little bit of more room and wholeness if that makes sense. So I have no idea of which one to pick. Is the fiio the one to pick or the little dot? Does the latter have a dac (or does it even need one?) so many questions

The tube for the 6xx will expand space and soundstage, soften response, increase warmth, and generally create a more relaxed and pleasing sound at the expense of clinical accuracy

If you wanted to, you could get a fiio k5 pro now, and since it has a variable out on the back, get a little dot mk2 down the line and use the dac in the k5 pro

No dac inside, you would want to have one but would be able to get away with running it from a pc or phone

Overall if you want clean and accurate sound, the k5 pro, if you want warmer and less focus on detail and more on enjoyment, the mk2. I personally prefer the 6xx on a tube, but it depends on what you want

1 Like

Thanks so much, you’re being an invaluable support!! Man, audio will end my bank account! I think I’ll go with the fiio k5 pro and get the little dot mk2 if i’m still looking forward to it (this looks so amazing btw).

1 Like

That would be a sweet setup lol. Do note that with the k5 pro chaining into the little dot, you would want to max the volume of the fiio k5 pro when you want to use the little dot (make sure you don’t have anything plugged into the k5 pro first lol)

Yeah I would start off with the k5 pro and see what you think and go from there

1 Like

When I personally had the choice between the 2 after giving both a listen I personally ordered the 58x over the 6xx. Easier to drive superior imaging and punchier bass out of the box

Very true, it just comes down to the type of music you listen to and what you prefer. The 6xx excels at midrange, vocals, organic instruments, and a natural sound. The 58x works better with more modern music with inorganic instruments and has a bit more fun bass and treble response.

2 Likes

Okay coool @M0N

Waiiit you listened to both and enjoyed the 58x? :open_mouth: Dang it! Well, i like classical music, i like music where sometimes there’s just the individual instruments taking over. So i guess my best choice would be 6xx. However, I would be disappointed if I got the 6xx already and actually listened to the 58x and be like, why did i waste money!! LOL

I have also listened to both and own the 58x and the hd600 (also used to own the 650), and they do things I like both lol.

The 6xx sound more up your alley imo. I don’t know for most people if owning both is viable

Ahahah i’m dead! :joy: One day I’ll own several headphones. This hobby doesn’t seem to be forgiving. I thought I would just get some chifi iems and get over my itch of good audio. Tell me one thing though, do you think the increase in price justify the quality of sound you’re getting from the 6xx. Lol btw looks like you got bored with the 650 at one point, but you still kept the 58x, hmmm interesting

If you want to see what I own you can check my profile, I’m somewhat involved in this hobby lol

So I DO think the extra price for what you listen to and what you want is worth it, the refinement on the 6xx for the price is very impressive. I will say that personally I prefer the 58x on solid state amps but on a tube I would def take the 6xx for sure. The 6xx on solid state isn’t bad either, but for some really bass heavy music it might be a bit less. For like rap or something like that I would take the 58x, but for more traditional music the 6xx really excels

Also the 600 is somewhat similar to the 6xx so that’s why I sold the 650

1 Like

hmmm okay. Sounds like i’ll have to slowly and ultimately get that tube amp! I don’t listen to rap anyway, the only rap i’ve loved is ‘You need me i don’t need you’ ed sheeran live studio recording.

1 Like

Well the 6xx does sound like the right choice imo. I pretty much listen to everything except modern country so I tend to be all over the place lol

2 Likes

Yay finally I feel like my choice is set in stone! Haha, but I have to ask this: will i be able to listen to them without the k5 pro (since i’ll get them later following your advice lol- first focus on headphones and then amp) @M0N

1 Like

In that case the 6xx is definitely the way to go music pairing wise

2 Likes

Hmmmm. Yes but you might not be able to get them loud and they might not sound that great depending on what you use

1 Like

Thanks @RiceGuru lol i’m now listening to 80s music