What IEMs are in your current rotation?

Lately it has been the Moondrop Katos most of the time, and it’s kind of odd of me only using a single IEM for most of the days lately.

Or perhaps is just that I am in need of a new IEM to be part of my rotation, just to spice things out a little. It’s either the Tin HiFi T3 Plus for me or the Olinas next to get as additions to my rotations.

1 Like

My current favorites

• Tripowin Olina ( double stock filters )
  • 7hz Timeless
  • Shuoer S12
  • Tripowin Mele - these are my go to travel set, and I own two pairs blue & black

I use a Fiio BTR5 to power my IEMs.

I think I want to pick up a Hana v2 just because it was a set I pushed pause on when I got Olina. I am trying to figure out what I want for a good quality hybrid. I have been on the fence with the Tea or Tea2, but Hekili might be my choice there, since it seems a bit different, and I am always curious about bass done well.

I am still trying to decide what my endgame is.

1 Like

Pretty much ER2SE for any critical listening (currently EQ’d to match XR, but haven’t made my mind up).

Retired all chifi to the drawer of shame.

With the exception of Earfun Free Pro 2 (with Oluv’s EQ) when wireless makes sense.

Google Pixel Bud A Series for workouts.

Trying to lineup an ear-impression for a pair of CIEMs from Custom Art.

Lol, I have to think that most people do.

I got into IEMs after the Dusk craze, but I have heard them and I when I think of them in the context of their release time ( Jan. 2021 ), before Aria, Olina, Timeless, S12, and Hana v2, they would have been special when they hit the market.

When Dusk hit the market, Mangird Tea was around, but unknown, Oxygen was around ( Jan. 2019 ), the first Hana, and the Starfield was already pretty big. It is interesting how your impression changes when you shift the perspective relative to the competition in that time.

how would you compare the olina and s12? And also how big of a gap from those two to the variations?

1 Like

It’s currently Tea for me, no rotation for the last 2 weeks.

Olina’s been put inside the drawer just because I find myself more satisfied listening to Tea but it doesn’t mean Olina is bad or anything. In time maybe I’d sell it to top up my budget for Oracle or KL??? We’ll see :crossed_fingers:t3:

4 Likes

Timeless + BGVP S01 tips

So which model…? :slight_smile:

I don’t have any IEMs… just move through my HD599se, HP-50, HE-4xx n NHC

1 Like

Which headphones, I meant, yes.

1 Like

really none? That is almost surprising around here for someone that I am familiar with the username, since I am mostly on the IEM side of things here.

I also have an old pair of Monoprice 10010 ANC closed backs in storage ( IEMs replaced these ), plus three open backs, at my desk, on under the edge hooks. - SHP9500, HE400se, HD58x

For me open backs tend to get used for gaming and some TV and movie watching. IEMs are my work and travel solution.

1 Like

I’m not against them, but I have yet to come across a pair that fit, stay seated and remain comfortable. that and it’s been impossible to get anyone to pony up and definitively say THIS IEM has good soundstage and imaging.

1 Like

That totally makes sense. I have small ear canals, so fit gets me occasionally. Mele is the best for me as an all day, it just stays there for me. The wings that some of the resin cases have gone for are really uncomfortable for me.

To my ears Olina beats out both the S12 and Timeless on stage and imaging, but I find planar IEMs have a weird imaging effect that is almost without depth. I find that good hybrids tend to do this better than anything I own, but they run in a price bracket I hadn’t hit on IEMs yet.

1 Like

Basically 4 in rotation:

MMR Thummim - for ultimate casual listening when I want fun and immersion over accuracy and naturalness but still great technical ability
Rhapsodio Infinity MK2 - for more intense critical listening with a stronger focus on the lower level and more minute things
Oriolus Traillii JP - for a more generalized/all rounder reference of sorts, a very polished and complete experience
Hyla Sarda - for more of an every day carry with great fun factor and engagement without going overkill

Dap wise I basically just only use a Luxury & Precision P6 Pro and sometimes a Lotoo PAW Gold Touch Ti. Sometimes I might also carry a better portable amp like a Mass Kobo 424 if I have the space

4 Likes

An update, currently 4 right now in terms of rotational use:

Moondrop Kato - I just cannot go wrong with this one at the moment, and so far has trampled my Starfield and Aria for daily use, and the reason why is because the Katos are just an improvement overall from those two in my opinion, and it doesn’t have a paint-chipping problem that I had with the two.

Tin Hifi T3 Plus - Aka the only good Tin so far that came out from Tin along with the likes of the P1, T4, T2, and T2 Plus. Has replaced my BLON BL-03 for daily use, don’t get me wrong the BLON BL-03 is still a good IEM and still love to use from time to time to this day, but I just think the T3 Plus just topped it, therefore in some way a successor to the BLON BL-03.

Moondrop Chu - Wow just wow! I only bought these for the extra spring tips but my god these are a game changer for the price when I put these in my ears, and the tuning is just :fire: also yeah, I think this is better than the Aria and goes head-to-head with my Kato.

Moondrop Starfield - To be honest, any of the remaining IEMs that I have is on the 4th use, basically any IEM that I feel needs a bit of revisiting, so I can be reminded how I progressed with my hobby so far. The Starfield is still so good, my 2nd best IEM I have imo.

2 Likes

Do you think the better technicality of Kato justify his price compared with the Chu?

My HeKili is still available if you go that route

1 Like

This brings a tear to me. UP was one of the first IEMs I had instant 100% love with. Along with the OG Tea. It’s like any attraction though because despite their flaws they bring me so much it doesn’t even bother me. It’s just part of them and that’s what makes them special

Up is so warm yet energetic. It lacks in details, separation and imaging to most of the IEMs I’ve liked. OG Tea swings opposite. Bass is okay, just not as authoritative and punchy, yet it brings in amazing separation, imaging and detail. For my preferences they make amazing complements to each other yet, don’t sway to far from one another. Like it’s Xenns housing sound bringing synergy between them.

1 Like

I think the Tuning of the Chu is what keeps it very well with my Kato, though in terms of technicality the Katos are no doubt much better than the Chus. But it’s still impressive for a 20USD IEM to sound that very great.

3 Likes

I decided to go with the OG Tea, and am totally digging them. I think they were everything I was hoping for and more, plus they fit like they were designed for my ears, which is rare.

I am doing half day splits to take Timeless, S12, and Olina, in the morning then Tea in the afternoon, to do a comparison on a couple albums, to see how I like each for certain things. I listened to Timeless yesterday, and this morning I am being reminded why I think the S12 is a special set too.

1 Like