What products has Z reviewed that you bought

• Superlux HD668B, my audio gateway drug, but I don’t think I’d discovered Z yet
  • FiiO Q1 (mk1), re-sold immediately after buying…
  • Oppo HA-2, which I still use for most critical listening
  • MPOW Streambot Mini bluetooth receiver with BT 4.0 and only SBC codec support, which he reviewed in 2015 and which I’m still using right now to listen to YT audio while walking around getting food in me
  • Superlux HD669
  • HiFiMan HE-400i, still my top-tier critical listening cans today
  • Logilink UA0211 (rebrand of a Sybasonic unit) because he reviewed the very similar Sybasonic SD-DAC63057 but I really really wanted the one with the headphones vs. speakers switch (don’t recommend it, it rolls off the treble, I went on to get an iFi after I realized that I couldn’t accept rolled off treble out of my PC into my studio monitors)
  • Verum One (mk1.5).
  • Superlux HD669

Nowhere close to as neutral as he said, it has a bathtub-shaped response with monster sub-bass and bright treble but missing mids all the way down to male vocals and bass guitars. Only used it with heavy EQ and only at the office where I didn’t care as much about quality. Gave it up because of the “headband” discomfort after a while.

• Verum One (mk1.5).

It has a super narrow soundstage and a veiled “650-esque” presentation that disengages me from the music and it took me 1 year to realize I wasn’t enjoying my critical listening sessions as much as with the 400i anymore. Nothing much changed when I got the newer angled and perforated sheepskin pads for it, though I did discover the soundstage problem was all due to the cable. I returned to the Hifiman and never looked back. I should sell the Verum one of these days.

1 Like

Just make sure you don’t include your paragraph above in the for sale ad! :joy:

Seriously though, my girl ordered us each a pair of his newest version for Christmas to support Ukrainians (she also ordered some Tor Audio gear, Roger Amp and Tube DAC II) but theyl Verums got mangled during the shipping process so we sent them back and my new pair is waiting for me to try when I head back home in June. I’m hoping they’ve improved. :wink:

Why not, the soundstage is easily fixable with a quality separate-4-wire cable that doesn’t join the grounds into a single wire halfway down to form a crosstalk-inducing Y, and the tonality is just neutral-warmish, which a lot of people really prefer. I like to think it has a better shot at finding the right owner if I describe it in as much detail as I know about it.

I think I missed this review. Dodged a nightmare.

1 Like

You didn’t want to see that review anyways. I heard it scarred many people. Oddly enough though, Z reported a Patreon spike shortly after he posted the review so apparently it earned him some more hardcore fans in the end.