What type of music does everyone listen to? Favorite genres/Artists?

Just leave lists of artists and stuff that you are into. I’m just genuinely curious about what others dig. Language dosent matter to me as I’ve listened to everything from German to Korean to Spanish to Japanese! Please mention anything.

6 Likes

I love Progressive Rock. It is a very broad genre that is best appreciated as complete albums rather individual tracks.

Here are some of my favorite albums:

Yes:
Close to the Edge
Going for the One
Fragile
Relayer
The Yes Album

Genesis:
Trespass
Selling England By the Pound
Foxtrot
Wind & Wuthering

Pink Floyd:
Animals
Dark Side of the Moon

Anglagard:
Hybris
Viljans Oga

Rush:
Hemispheres
Permanent Waves

Harmonium:
Si On Avait Besoin D’Une Cinquime Saison

Supertramp:
Crime of the Century
Breakfast in America

Mike Oldfield:
Ommadawn
Amarok

Museo Rosenbach:
Zarathustra

Khan:
Space Shanty

Porcupine Tree:
In Absentia

Marillion:
Misplaced Childhood
Script for a Jester’s Tear

Emerson Lake & Palmer:
Emerson Lake & Palmer
Tarkus
Trilogy

Le Orme:
Felona e Sorona

National Health:
National Health
Of Queues and Cures

Maxophone:
Maxophone

Phideaux:
Doomsday Afternoon

9 Likes

Progressive rock tends to be not softer per say but less hardcore right?? Out of the ones you listed which are the softest?? If I may ask. I just ask because even though I definetly am open to music it would always be nice to listen to new music that is more likely to be something that I like. For now I’ll definitely listen to some of the songs. Thnx!

1 Like

I listen to a wide array of music depending on my mood. A couple examples of bands/artists that I enjoy the most are Mac Miller, Halsey, A Day to Remember, Journey, deadmau5, blink-182, Hopsin, George Straight, Lindsey Stirling, and many others, but just those as an example. If I had to pick one album that I would recommend anyone listen to as long as explicit themes/language are not a deal breaker, it would be Swimming by Mac Miller.

4 Likes

That’s a surprisingly normal list of music. Most people who are crazy into audio tend to have some almost elitist mood around them and their music. So it’s quite refreshing to read your list too. And I’ll check out the swimming album for sure. Thanks

2 Likes

I’m really new to higher end audio equipment but I find that all the music I was already into just gets better for me with the new stuff I get. Basically took what I thought was a 10 and cranked it up a little bit. I can appreciate some of the denser more “high end” sounding tracks that people say to listen to that’ll blow you away but I love my music still and now even more with my new hobby.

2 Likes

The softest ones out of what I listed:

Harmonium (French Canadian with folk and classical influences)
Le Orme (Italian with folk, classical and space rock influences)
Mike Oldfield (Mostly instrumental, long compositions with New Age influences)

Progressive Rock is a very broad genre. It is more defined by greater complexity of composition and artistic concepts rather than representing a particular musical style.

2 Likes

Yeah I definitely get it. And with my TIN T2 I agree about what you said but for whatever reason music that I liked actually sounds worse on my Beyerdynamic DT770. I think because it really thins out the sound certain mp3’s could sound cheaper. Only my flacs really felt good.

I actually listened to Le Orme first because it sounded softer! (by the soft name lol) and yeah thats totally around my style so thanks! I believe I listened to the one that has one of the album title words. Thanks I’ll definitely listen to the other ones you wrote!

1 Like

I listen to pretty much everything but nowadays i tend to listen a lot to japanese Rock, Alt Rock, Metal and Folk. Such great voices, lyrics and tonalities. They really are creative with their music. I would love to share my Flacs (most of them ripped from the cds i own, so all legal) with you guys.

Some of the japanese music I listen to:

Band Maid
Hata Moritomo
Kazuyoshi Saito
The Yellow Monkey
Spitz
Mariya Takeuchi
Tatsuro Yamashita
Glay
Xjapan
Ayaka
Aimer
TBolan

3 Likes

Well Recorded :sunglasses:

15 Likes

should check out JYOCHO if you haven’t already.

Oh nice! Yeah I don’t listen to Japanese as often as I used to but honestly they definitely have something special to their sound! I don’t think I went as deep as you because I honestly mostly found Japanese music through Anime so I don’t recognize any of those groups but I will listen to some. I mostly know of more groups that made Anime songs like Scandal, Larc En Ciel, Asian Lungfu Generation etc. And it’s cool dude lol. We all wish we could share our flacs but it is what it is

Wagakki Band = best Japanese band

2 Likes

I don’t have a particular genre I favor over others, but some notable artists that I like are:

Taeko Ohnuki
Vivienne Mort
Jeff Meegan
Kensuke Ushio
J.I.D
Casiopea

1 Like

Cro Tru
German Hip/Hop Rap,
simply beautiful

1 Like

If you had to throw out your favorite album or few songs right now for testing new equipment with, what might that look like?

+2 for Yes and Rush!

4 Likes

I mostly listen to Metal, Rap, Dubstep occasionally. I generally like heavier music. Stuff that you can really headbang to.

Artist/Bands-
Metal:
Cannibal Corpse
Jinjer
Slipknot
Deftones
Korn
Slayer
Metallica
Cattle Decapitation
Suicide Silence

Rap:
Suicide Boys
JID
Pouya
Denzel Curry
Ski Mask
Eminem

Dubstep:
Code Pandorum
Facesplit
Punishment
Moth
Pfista
Haxim
Mvrda

Its not a complete list of people I listen to but i guess it gives you an idea of what style of music I like.

4 Likes

In my car I listen to mostly stoner/doomer metal. Monolord, Sleep, High on Fire, The Necromancers, SVVAMP, Haunt etc etc.

At work listen almost exclusively to throwback synth wave stuff… Mostly steaming on YouTube via NewRetroWave, Astral Throb,
ThePrimeThanatos etc etc.

At home it’s a lot of 90s grunge/NIN/Marilyn Manson… Shit I grew up listening to in high school in the late 90s.

2 Likes