What type of music does everyone listen to? Favorite genres/Artists?

Dream Theater, and some other progressive metal.
Lots of classic stuff. Fleetwood Mac, Rush, Peter Gabriel, Sting/Police, Steely Dan, Yes, Def Leppard, etc.
Electronic/down-tempo stuff like Bjork, Bonobo and Tycho.
80’s music like Men at Work, Thomas Dolby, Sade, Tears for Fear, Talking Heads, the Cure, etc.
I have been making an effort to branch out recently. I like the following new/newish artists: Foals, Aurora, Jorja Smith, Donna Missal, St. Paul & the Broken Bones.
DMS recommended Hot Chip. I have their song Huarache Lights in my Tidal rotation. I am willing to try anything that sounds good as I am a bit of a snob at this point.

6 Likes

I’m apparently not alone in being a metalhead and an audiophile, two things that shouldn’t go together given the recording methods used for metal of all kinds. Recently came across Ignea, satisfies both sides of me. For anyone looking for decent metal recordings, “Apex” by Unleash the Archers is also relatively well-recorded.

3 Likes

I listen to a pretty good variety. Although a lot of my listening involves house/techno, since I DJ.

I love some fine acoustic/low key tracks when I’m not making my head explode with bass. Things like Bon Iver, Fleet Foxes, Sharon van Etten.

That said there is some fantastic experimental electronic music that is very well recorded. You all should check out Visible Cloaks, and Caterina Barbieri.

1 Like

All music!! Well to clarify, all the music that I like, I am eclectic and as long as it sounds good to me I don’t care about the genre =)

2 Likes

I like anything that has a good recording. I have tons of HDCD, mostly Grateful Dead. I just bought a DVD Audio disk of KIng Crimson. Have a few SACD mostly rock. I by almost everything used from Ebay. I am in a nursing home with a limited income. $125 a month. My system is Oppo DV970HD, Bravo Audio V2, Sennheiser HD650. No speakers. I am only In my 50’s and saw over 300 mostly Rock concerts. I think what I have is awesome. Now using the Boomstick sound enhancer and like that.

6 Likes

Metal

Rings of Saturn
Thy Art is Murder
Animals as Leaders (instrumental, jazzy, not your typical stuff)
Babymetal
Jinjer
Revocation
The Black Dahlia Murder
The Faceless
Mastodon

Not Metal

Run the Jewels
Queens of the Stone Age
The White Stripes
Yeah Yeah Yeahs
Louis Cole

4 Likes

From Elvis to Cannibal Corpse.

Some (!) favorites might include
Beatles, The Doors, Hendrix, Rolling Stones, Kiss, Zep, The Who, GnR, Metallica, Scorpions, Pink Floyd, Iron Maiden, Green Day, Korn, Manson, Nightwish, Evanesence, Killswitch Engange, Judas Priest, Rival Sons, Greta van Fleet and so on…

Also like some classical, blues and jazz.

3 Likes

In general my tastes lean on towards the heavier side of music. I discovered Darkest Hour in high school and that was that. They had just released Deliver Us, which to this day is in my top 3 favorite albums. Heavy with melody is kinda their thing so I developed a real love for melodic death metal, bands like Insomnium and Be’lakor, and just branched out from there.

Counterparts, Shadow of Intent, Despite Exile, August Burns Red, Polaris… I could go on but those are some of my favorites atm.

In recent years I started enjoying some more relaxed music depending on my mood. Audrey Fall is a post rock band that put out one of my all time favorite albums before they abruptly disbanded, and I highly recommend checking it out. Collapse Under The Empire and Break My Fucking Sky make really beautiful purely instrumental music as well.

Digital Daggers for moody electronic with beautiful female vocals. Though I will admit their songs are hit or miss, for me anyway. Still Here is a favorite from them.

I grew up on Matchbox Twenty so I still jam their first two albums every now and then for a hugely enjoyable nostalgia trip.

1 Like

I’ll check then out. Maybe they are my style. But it’s a big claim right there!

Vivienne mort’s singer is hot

Wow I’ve never heard German rap. The only thing I’ve heard from German is ramstein and other rock bands. I bet it will be interesting

It definitely give me an idea of what’s up haha. It’s very intense. I only know of slipknot (psychosocial) and m&m. Thanks for the response. I’m really curious as to what people listen to

Thanks for the list, it’s rather unique! I’ve never even heard of those genres. And the only song I’ve listened to from Manson is TAINTED LOVE and I really dig it

I’ll DEFINITELY check out the classical ones you pointed out. I tend to like instrumental music alot but I still can’t find many classical music that just makes me love it

Yeah evidently ATON of people here are more into heavy music which was a huge surprise. I expected more of a variety. Nice profile Pic btw.

That is awesome! Seeing over 300 concerts must have been real exciting! I’ve barely seen 2 lol. And I hope music is keeping you well accompanied in the nursing home! It must be tough but you have some real cool gadgets

It’s fine. Most artists could be quite hit or miss right? It only makes sense that there would be some songs that you just can’t get into. As you age do you think you get more into calmer music?

If you like instrumental music and haven’t listened to Tycho, you should definitely check them out.

5 Likes

To some extent. When I venture into calmer music I end up getting very specific about what it needs to have, and not have. I do find myself enjoying playlists that feature more singing than screaming, much more so than I used to, but I would say 85% of the time I still prefer the heavy stuff.

My tastes are so wide. I love classic rock, blues, jazz, prog, metal, soul… If there is a band of the moment it’s The Tedeschi Trucks Band. They are a big twelve piece, kind of southern inspired blues rock with soul elements.

4 Likes