What type of music does everyone listen to? Favorite genres/Artists?

EXC
(Everything eXcept Country)

I used to sell Hi-Fi in the 80’s while I was in college and post-graduate studies, so I developed an eclectic mix of music.

Heavy Metal
New Wave
Jazz
Classical (Had many friends in the Civic Orchestra of Chicago and went often)
Electronic

Bah, the list just keeps going…

1 Like

Music for me is Bollywood. I like the punchy tracks as well as vocals - different genre for different moods!

Got exposed to English music in the last few years but never really got fully lost into it. Although I watch Hollywood movies but have not moved on to hear the English songs after the movies. Recently saw Bohemian Rhapsody and started listening to Queen live aid concert performance. It’s awesome.

Will slowly try to get more exposed to some wonderful English music as well.

It’s a journey!

2 Likes

I like a lot of things. Classic Rock, 90s Rock, Prog Rock, Jam bands, jazz, classical, metal, some hip hop, house music from the late 90s and early 2000s, musicals.

2 Likes

today I will hear a few tracks “Moon Safari” by Air
except “volksmusik” I like all genres more or less.
But always come back to The Doors, Smashing Punpkins, Daft Punk, Nirvana, etc. when listening to music for fun

on the other hand, I listen to so many different songs to listen with focus on my hifi-equipment… :slight_smile:

for example Leonard Cohen´s “You want it darker” but also Alice Kristiansen´s “The one that got away”-Cover or
The Trooper by Iron Maiden

3 Likes

I listen to allot of ganers but mainly rock and his variations: New stuff: John Mayer,Sufjan Stevens, Bon Iver, Maps & Atlases, Alt-j, Jeff Buckly, John butler, The Sherpdogs, Tame Impala, Eddie Vedder, Pearl Jam, Eels, Arctic Monkeys, RHCP, Greta van fleet, death cab for cutie, ben howerd, audioslave and many many more!

Old stuff: Led zepplin, queen, dire straits, neil young, rush, beethoven, camel, deep purple, jimi hendrix, elton john, joni mitchell, the doors, eagles, the rolling stones, the who, the beatles, leonard cohen, grateful dead, fleetwood Mac, CCR, bob marley, the police, stevie wander, ray charles, crosby stills and nash, simon and garfunkel and so many more!
If anyone is intrested i can alaborate and recommend more stuff!

3 Likes
3 Likes

I can’t say that I have a favourite genre or genres. I like a lot artists. After my phase with metal music, I started listening to Massive Attack, Moloko, Boards of Canada, Art of Noise, Solar Fields just to name a handful. I like me a bit of Dolly Parton from time to time, and I occasionally listen to my old favourites; Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath, Faith No More, and so on. My recent listens are Bel Canto and Cocteau Twins.

3 Likes

I lived in Northern California and was in my 20’s I was very active. As far as my equipment check out my other posts. If you want to see me I have a you tube channel “legotonyb” where I show my lego builds and other stuff. No Music or equipment reviews yet.

1 Like

No, not at all. I was a Metalhead before I was deadhead, am still both. I am not very up to date with any new music though.

1 Like

You have excellent taste.

1 Like

I just want to say that RIVAL SONS is the best rock band at the moment. Im not sure why Greta gets all the hype since Rival Sons are a vastly superior band. I like greta, but i dont think they are “there” yet in terms on quality of their music.

2 Likes

A few new OST’s I enjoy listening to. Megalobox and Mr Robot have great stuff. I don’t know it well enough to test anything properly yet with it but I am close.

Rock/pop/metal/rap wise: Queen, Freddie Mercury (his Opera album is fantastic), Arctic Monkeys, AC/DC, Ghost, Greta Van Fleet, Kendrick Lamarr and Childish Gambino.
^ These honestly depend on my mood and I have an entire mood playlist from all of these artists and they vary per mood.

However; I also add Symphony Orchestra in the mix also depending on my mood like Anime OSTs by the legends like Shiro Sagisu who composed for Bleach and Evangelion. Hans Zimmer, Benjamin Wallfisch (2049 Blade runner and Interstellar), John Willaims, Howard shore and in general most of the work that the London Symphony Ochstera has done (LoTR, Star wars etc). I mostly like the operatic songs from the OSTs because they are either the really calm beautiful music (LoTR:May it be) , or the exciting/creepy ones (Bleach OST: invasion/ B07A/ Treachery ).

2 Likes

If you like rock/metal and you like symphonys then you might wanna check out Nightwish. (i will never stop promoting them :smiley: )

1 Like

And here are some Japanese girls playing metal, rather well tbh.

3 Likes

NieR: Automata OST has been in heavy rotation. A must try if you have never heard it. Also recommend the game as well.

1 Like

Check out Mary’s Blood. Another great female JMetal band.

1 Like

+1 for Animals As Leaders. Your description of their sound being jazzy is spot-on, similar to the way that Squarepusher could be called a jazz musician who plays bass and synths (the track ‘Baltang Arg’ being a case in point)

I try to listen to as much variety as I can, but electronic music is my touchstone. If I were to highlight an album or two in that genre continent I’d bring Jeff McIlwain’s ‘Condensed’ album (released under the name Lusine ICL) to the table as well as his ‘Serial Hodgepodge’ and ‘Podgelism’ album/remix album. I’d also recommend the ‘Lost Tracks’ album by Aaron Spectre.

I’ve been keeping a playlist diary on Spotify for the past ~7 years, not all electronic, there’s a bit of extra flavouring there. If that’s something people would be interested in I (think I) can link it here.

EDIT: Inserted Spotify link in my profile page.

1 Like

Gonna listen to so much stuff from this thread!!! I might put together a list of some favorites but i figured for now i would just post a pic of my Recently Played Artists from Spotify.