What's your headphone progression?

At desk:
whatever was on sale-> sennheiser hd201(used two of them for a looong time)-> beyerdynamic dtx 910-> takstar pro82-> finally i have an amp! (jds labs atom+ topping d10 )-> HD600
Portable:
Some old sony IEM-> xiaomi hybrid-> Mi In-Ear Headphones Pro HD -> fu** IEMs-> koss ksc75-> broken cable-> koss ksc75x -> broken cable-> takstar pro82 :stuck_out_tongue: with shorter cable

HD600 are nice for pretty much everything. But im looking for something with wide sound stage and extended base as a second pair for the desk. Maybe planars? Phantoms seams nice…
(this hobby is starting to be to expensive…)

But during the day at desk im using pair of mackie mr624:P

1 Like

Office:
Philips SHP2000 -> Panasonic RP-HC500 -> 3M Peltor Optime III :stuck_out_tongue: -> Superlux HD669 -> Superlux HD662 Evo (but also Massdrop x Koss KSC75X when people GTFO and it gets properly quiet; oh, and also Jabra Elite 65t for when I need isolation but also really wanna listen to something but also I can’t take any more clamping from clampy over-ears).

Home/critical:
(Speakers only ->) Superlux HD668B -> Beyerdynamic DT 880 Edition, 250-ohm -> HiFiMan HE-400i -> Verum 1 [Endgaem Acheevd]

Long trips with noisy transportation:
A few attempts with random earbuds/in-ear-buds, hated them -> Panasonic RP-HC500 -> Sennheiser HD 4.50 BTNC [Waiting for a reason]

Chilling outside, away from home:
A few attempts with random earbuds/in-ear-buds, hated them -> Koss KSC75 -> Koss KSC75 (2018), just because Massdrop reminded me how much I’d hate being without these if something happened, so I bought a new pair which turned out to sound different and better.

4 Likes

Reason:

I mean I could look for replacement pads and finally get an ear-sized hole, because these do seem to come off, but the isolation for best performance of the ANC might never be the same again.

1 Like

Headphones:

1st) Audio-Technica M40x (The humble beginning, and the one that got me to this hobby of mine. Still miss mine to this day.)
2nd) Cooler Master MH751 (an upgrade in terms of comfort and mic fidelity for a headset)
3rd) Beyerdynamic DT 880 Pro 250 Ohms ver. (currently using as my go to headphones. IMO, a huge freaking jump.)

IEMs:

1st) Shure SE215 (My first set of IEMs, bought it for the noise isolation and durability.)
2nd) KZ ZSN Pro (Bought it out of curiosity, ended up giving it as a gift to my dad.)
3rd) Tin Audio T2 (Probably the best IEM I got in terms of looks and sounds imo, it is all thanks to Zeos’ video.)
4th) KZ ZS10 Pro (my 3rd best IEM imo in terms of sounds, also got it due to Zeos’ review of it.)
5th) BLON BL-03 (Goes neck in neck with my Tin T2s and I cannot choose a single one between the two, always bring it along when I have my T2s with me.)

Portable AMPs:

1st) Topping NX3s (My first and my only current portable AMP and it is enough for this baby to power and drive in my DT 880 Pros with ease.)

2 Likes

:slight_smile: M40x to AKG 712…looking at getting the Elex and Argons next.
Just started with higher quality headphones last Christmas. I use these with Atom and Darkvoice amps. I’m in love with them so far.

1 Like

Iem: 1more triple driver, TIN T2s, Blon 03
Headphones: DT990, DT770, Jubilee 58x, hifiman 4xx, Koss ksc75, Audioquest Nighthawks (Carbon)

In the future I’m not interested in going all in on this as a hobby but I’m still interested in trying out a new headphone once or twice a year just to see what is out there

Stuff I’m highly likely to check out in the future: Elex, Koss E-Stat, Sundara

But I’m not particularly looking for an upgrade or anything of the kind

1 Like

It has been a long and winding road. Actually about five and a half years.

1. Bose QC15’s *
  2. B&W P5’s (2nd gen.)
  3. Senn HD598c’s
  4. ATH M50X’s
  5. OPPO PM3’s
  6. Senn HD6XX’s
  7. Grado SR325e’s
  8. Meze 99 Classic’s *
  9. Audioquest NightOwl Carbons
  10. Sony MDR-Z7’s
  11. HiFiman HE4XX’s
  12. Fidelio X2HR’s
  13. Shure 1540’s
  14. Grado GH2’s *
  15. Beyer T5p.2’s *
  16. Senn HD58X’s *
  17. Senn HD600’s *
  18. Fostex TH-610’s *
  19. Koss E95X *
  20. Focal Elex’s *

The * represents headphones that I still own.

I think that’s all of them. I can’t even keep track anymore. I got these from my Head-Fi signature. :laughing:

4 Likes

Way too many to cover every single purchase, so I’ll highlight the ones I enjoyed most and leave out side-grades

Closed Back

ATH-M40x -> DT 770 250 Ohm -> SRH1540 ->TH610 -> Neumann NDH 20 -> Atticus and Focal Elegia

Open Back

HD558 -> DT 880 600 Ohm -> HD58x (still own them) -> Sundara -> HD650 (still own them) -> LCD-2F (Sold to help purchase Atticus) -> LCD-2C

Still looking for another open back to complement the LCD-2C. Focal Clear, Audeze LCD-X and Hifiman Edition XX are amongst the ones that I am considering.

1 Like

I had to think about it. I wanted see it for myself graphically over time.

* Plan to sell
> Keeping for now

7 Likes

In the order I bought them

1. HD58X
  2. DT770 250ohm
  3. Tin T2
  4. TR-X00 PH
  5. Tin P1
  6. kph30i
  7. Shuoer Tape
  8. Tin T4
  9. Porta Pros

In the order I prefer them

1. TR-X00 PH
  2. Tin P1
  3. HD58X
  4. DT770 250 ohm (with dekoni X00 lambskin pads)
  5. Tin T2
  6. Porta Pros
  7. Tin T4
  8. Shuoer Tape
  9. kph30i
7 Likes

Interesting… how does that sound?.. also shame on you for putting kph30i in 9th lol

1 Like

The kph30i are just bad Porta Pros and I’m not sorry.

The X00 lambskin pads smoothe the highs just enough without reducing the bass. It turns them from monitors into pretty darn good pleasure cans. They can still be a bit sharp but much less so than the stock velour pads.

2 Likes

Nice… It reminded me I have the brainwavs xl pleather pads

You’re wrong… (jokes)

2 Likes

Qc15
Mdr1000x
Qc35ii
Shp9500
Porta pro
Kph30i
Modern retro
Pro82
Cb-1
Cal
Fidelio x2
Sr60e
K240
4xx
58x
Hd600
Hd650
Dt770 (80)
Dt770 (250)
K371
Ksc75
X00 purpleheart
Nighthawk carbon
Sundara (on the way)

Happy to report I’ve sold many of these for really fair prices and given many away as well :+1:

2 Likes

before any audiophile knowledge Sennheiser game ones, (sound downgrade) arctis 7, (start looking into audiophile stuff) 6XX, Meze 99 noir, Monoprice Retro, X00 PH, 660s, Nighthawks, DT880 600 ohm.

have since sold the 6xx and 99 noirs and am waiting to audition some cans before I start jumping into the 350-700 dollar range but have several on my radar.

1 Like

Most of these I still own
Sennheiser 424’s (I think I still own these somewhere)
ATH-50
HD598
AKG K7XX
Dekoni Blues (T50-RP3)
Focal Elex
Ether CX
HD6XX
ZMF Aeolus
ZMF Eikon

2 Likes

Turtle Beach Gaming Headphones to Sony MDR-7506 to M50s to 58X (noticing an improvement but nothing big)

for earbuds from stock to panasonic and skull candy to wireless creative outlier airs (i dunno what to do with those once i get better wired IEMs)

i am watching an old rocky mountain audio video about how you shouldn’t treat what others like as the worst thing ever and just introduce them to stuff that might be just as good if not better with the sound… basically quiz them what sounds they personally like and see “ok this is why you should buy these headphones because they seem perfect for you”

1 Like

In order of purchase starting in 2011 ending in 2020;

AKG K240 Studio *
Sennheiser HD 6xx *
Sennheiser HD 58x ^
Koss Porta Pro *
Hifiman HE-4xx ^
Koss KSC75 *
Fostex T50rp mk3 ^
Cooler Master MH751 ^
Beyerdynamic DT770 250 ^
Koss KPH30i *
Neumann NDH-20 *
Sendy Aiva *
Focal Clear Pro *
ZMF Eikon *

• = still own ^ = sold
2 Likes

I started listening to music regularly in 1981. I know the year cause that was when Soft Cell came out with Tainted love. I was 11. Thats when i started listening to top 40 radio. And not long after that to cheaper cloned walkmans. At first i just used whatever light on ear headphones that came with the walkman. And yeah sometimes the pads where orange lol. After a while i discovered Koss headphones. and started listening to those. Then my eyes where opened when i got a pair of Bose speakers then Elex speakers and after the complaints back to headphones lol. Started with

Grado 225e - Nice but boring

Sennhieser HD600 - Impressive but didnt like the veil

Hifiman Sundara - This was the first headphone that made me cry. really good but i disliked the air on it

Nueman NDH20 - This headphone taught me what dark headphones where like. on top of that they were wolly. i didnt like it

Sendy Aiva - This headphone blew my mind. I couldn’t believe how good it sounded. The detail was superb and more than i’d ever heard before. The close soundstage was delightful and what i wanted compared to the Sundara air. Just what i was looking for. V signature but the midrange was present. Problem was the treble was a little too much. I could have stopped here. but i was curious.

Focal Elex - At first i thought this headphone wasnt as good as the Aiva. But i began to love its W signature and controlled treble. One of the things that bugged me about the Aiva was the treble. But with Elex it was just right. The Elex was perfect. its fantastic with its dynamic range, imaging, detail, soundstage is a little more than the Aiva unfortunately but its not too much. Its my favorite so far and ive been looking for a higher end version since. its not Neutral. And a lot of audiophiles believe neutral are “serious” headphones, and headphones like Elex are “fun” “exciting” headphones. i dont agree with this. I prefer headphones like the Elex.

ZMF Aeolus - These are default dark headphones with the stock pads. i hated it but kept trying to listen to it. it brought me down and i stopped wanting to listen to music. So i emailed Zack and told him i was returning it. He recommended the Suede pads. i tried them it totally changed he headphone. This sounded a lot like a upgraded Elex to me. Its tone and timbre was so nice. imaging was fantastic. it sounded so rich and musical. W signature like the Elex. But i wanted more detail and it lacked that.

ZMF Auteur - So Zack swapped the Aeolus for a Auteur. This headphone was fantastic. it had more detail but the thing is its the first really great neutral headphone ive heard. Music sounded the way i remember from the stereo i had as a kid.

Hifiman Arya - This headphone came to my attention when Joshua Valor said it was the best headphone he’s heard. I know we have similar tastes, so i got it. This also sounds like a neutral headphone. But it sounds better than the Auteur imo. Something about this headphone. Its marvelous. Like they say it has a depth to it. more detail than the Auteur. imaging is amazing. its really blown my mind. But it has too much treble for my tastes. And it doesn’t react well to EQ. It has too much soundstage. But the soundstage can sound close sometimes. really close. and almost everything sounds great in it. I listen to Duran’s first album in the Aiva’s and the synth sound primitive and crude sometimes. but with this they sound great. but sometimes the soundstage is so wide i cant hear the details in certain tracks. and its not a W shaped headphone like the Elex. It is exciting though.

Future - So where do i go from here? I want a “fun” “exciting” headphone. I Want a W signature. I want detail. detail to me is king. I want close soundstage. I want the other technicalities too. Dynamic range, great imaging, speed, ect. Logic would dictate i go for the Focal Utopia since it has a W signature and more detail. People say the Elex sound like it. But i hear the Verite is like it and i love Zacks tuning and to be able to use it with tubes too? and the chameleon effect pads have on his headphones?. but idk people dont seem to like it that much. maybe something new and great will come out? idk

7 Likes

I want to say #1 started around 2005-ish. I am picky about what I keep because I am very head pressure sensitive. Not a weight issue. More a combination of the clamp pressure and pressure points around or on my ears. My glasses cause sensitive pressure points behind my hears so on-ears hurt after about 20 seconds. Problem is I prefer headphones over IEM/earbuds.

1. Sony or JVC headphones. They were $20 + tax. Still have them but ear pads are flaking.
  2. iPhone ear buds x4
  3. LG Tone (bluetooth neckband earbuds)
  4. Bose QC35. Returned same day due to clamp pressure.
  5. Sennheiser HD1 (neck band version)
  6. Sennheiser PXC 550
  7. Tin T2 (These caused me to start noticing differences in things)
  8. Audio-Technica ATH-M40x (Returned without listening to them!)
  9. Philips SHP9500
  10. Meze 99 Neo (better with bigger pads to make over ear.)
  11. SendyAudio Aiva
2 Likes