Where do people get their FLACs?

Wow! I’ve seen all kinds of CD rot but that one is pretty crazy!

With a .cue sheet, CUETools and XLD can validate the integrity of a FLAC archive (multi file or single file) to the accuraterip database (CUETools validates the integrity to CTDB as well). It’s a beautiful thing.

I buy them at 7digital

1 Like

Bandcamp and HDtracks are my two primary sources for hi resolution files. Two others I didn’t see mentioned yet are prestomusic.com for a large collection of classical music, and wildambience.com for nature recordings.

2 Likes

I’ve been getting them from Bandcamp.com where possible and 7digital.com when not. Between those two most artists are pretty well covered.

2 Likes

I won’t lie… I get all my total lossless FLAC’s illegally… there’s literally no source that covers everyone but torrents… I do pay for Tidal and Spotify… so I feel, if your paying for a service… and you can “listen” to that same music while paying… going a step beyond is for me… justified based on my options.

Probably a good public outcry, hey there music industry… help me get lossless music! Otherwise I resort to this… Thanks and BTW please?

2 Likes

Well, Qobuz does offer 192khz/24bit.
Recently though, I made the plunge into purchasing DSD music, which does make music alot more interesting in the sense that i have to actually pick out an album every few days as I can’t afford to buy an entire library right away.
Now in terms of simply paying for a service, the musician gets no money if u simply pay for the service but listen with torrented files.

After replacing the USB cable, moving the amp around, unplugging my home internet and powering off my cell phone and finally giving up, my periapt balanced cables arrived today for my 6xx and tr-x00 so I took out the balanced to single ended adapter and plugged in the balanced cable directly and… the occasional buzz pop noise is gone. It was the adapter. FFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

I’ve been some form of pirate since the late 80’s. I went on a trip to Europe and downloaded the entirety of the newsgroup alt.binariees.mp3.jazz. When i got home my dialup cconnection had given me 18G of music. I probably owned about 200 CD’s by that point. Every trip to Tower Records cost a couple hundred dollars (remember when CD’s were $25 A PIECE!).
Digital was wonderful! Massive Amounts of music for the cost of an internet connection!

I now have 12TB of flac;s (the MP3’s ar mostly gone) Flac’s, WAV’s, DSD, DFF, Multichannel, ISO’s whatever.
I feel truly blessed to live in a world where so much is available. My tastes have grown beyond rock, blues and jazz, to opera, classical, medieval, folk and whatever else I’m curious about.

Let me end with the phrase RU a Tracker Nyet ? Russian but google translate is perfectly fine. Keep listening. Music is life.

Bandcamp…
Put flac and attack together - maybe you will find a pot full of gold :exploding_head: in the Net.

1 Like

Frankly the easiest way to search across multiple trackers without putting your PC in danger of malicious websites is using Qbittorrent (it’s FOSS) and activating the search plugins option. You can add unofficial search plugins to broaden your search.

All that being said, I got most of my music by ripping my family’s CD collection – over 350 discs. I still buy CD’s of my favorite artists. Even though I immediate rip the files, I get a little animistic pleasure from having something I can hold in my hands.

1 Like

Ahoy mateys.

I have a hi-fi sub to Tidal and I use… Software.

Yar har etc

1 Like

All I can say is RIP WCD.

Yeah, what was redacted by the french. Sad times.

2 Likes

All Tidal Hax Are Musical Experiences

if you get my drift

probably to late, but get a jitterbug, it could be jitter from your pc

I am a Qobuz Sublime subscriber. I buy HiRes downloads at the cost of MP3s and have them available to stream or download in different formats.
I occasionally get DSD from HDTracks

I was trying to buy 2 albums from 7digital, but it seems like the Norwegian store does not offer flac on those albums, only 320kbit mp3 (frankly i struggle to hear the difference, but its the principle that i want to buy lossless and not lossy music). The UK store does offer flac,so i sent them an email asking why. The answer was :

“Unfortunately, we do not have the right to sell some releases in FLAC format in particular stores.
This is due to the region restrictions implemented by the labels - we can only sell what the labels allow us to sell in each region.”

So i guess record labels want me to be a pirate then…

you can buy CDs and rip them to Flac - good enough
so the artist gets his work payed and you have a physical thing in your hands + the rip

1 Like

And you can usually find CDs for cheap and get a good deal than buying online from hdtracks or other hq audio sites