Who streams and who dosent?

Periodically, I’ll try Pandora. however, I occasionally find issues with it’s algorithm and my personal tastes.

1 Like

Yeah it definitely makes sense, there’s a weird divide between people who like owning media and others who don’t really mind. I guess I’m trying to understand both perspectives

Thats a name I haven’t heard in a while, yeah i bet YouTube and amazon are more than enough for most music collections. Except maybe some niche stuff l

Well when you stack the crates to the ceiling it isn’t so bad lol. Still a significant amount of space

My family has given me a lot of CDs and I have amassed a collection too lol

1 Like

I stream Spotify to find new music. If I hear something I like I purchase and download a hi res version from places like HDTracks, Quobuz, etc.

1 Like

Alot of artists on Bandcamp or other platforms like that also offer lossless downloads too

1 Like

Personally, I’ve found I like Spotify even less then I like Pandora’s algorithm. To each their own though.

I dont got 50 tb but my library is around 1 tb g9ve or take

I should say that it’s not all music, it’s about half so around 25 tb

Haha i see thats quite the number still

As a student, it is a hell of a lot cheaper. As well as this, I am always trying to listen to new music and at £10 an album I just don’t have the thousands necessary to do that. I do however have £10 a month

The amount of songs I have saved streaming I can spend on better equipment, or on other hobbies.

1 Like

I own some albums on FLAC files, but streaming is cheaper…lol if I do like an album or song and it gets removed from a service (which is possible ex. Netflix) I’ll gladly buy them. Problem again though is it’s on a digital drive with a limited life span.

I am thinking about getting into albums. :money_with_wings::money_with_wings::money_with_wings:

1 Like

I don’t rely on the algos so much because for me it’s not about having a convenient playlist to sit back and enjoy. It’s more to look up and listen to artists I haven’t heard before and deciding if I want to buy one or more of their albums.

I haven’t ripped any of my blurays but I got about 1500 to 2000 of them. I’d probably need a similar nas to yours if I did rip them

1 Like

Fair point, personally it’s not like I collect alot of music so buying isn’t a big deal. Nor do i look for new music often but for others it makes sense who look for new music all the time

3 Likes

Did I mention that the 50 tb was on m.2 drives lol. Also have 50 tb of spinning for raid redundancy

1 Like

Hahaha yeah maybe start with absolute favorites to not spend all your money in a sitting, and worrying about digital files in a drive isn’t a big deal as long as you spread them to other drives. I have my music in my pc, hardrive, phone and tablet so I’m not worried about ever losing anything

1 Like

There is no way you have that much in a single system. The largest m.2 form factor drive commercially available is 2TB, meaning 25 drives, or 100 PCIe lanes purely dedicated to storage. Not to mention, to say $5k USD+Taxes just for storage is a pretty penny would be a massive understatement.

When did I say it was only on one physical server? I have multiple 4u servers networked together. I also deal with this stuff for work

1 Like