Who streams and who dosent?

While no, you didn’t, I still stick to there being a incredubly unlikely to be in a single system. The only way I could see is if it was in a EPYC based server, and almost all of the PCIe lanes where dedicated to storage. I’m still gonna stick to it being a butt load of funds just for the hardware itself.
Would you mind me asking what you do? I’m actually working on the Net+, Sec+, Linux+, LPIC-1, CCNA, and Microsoft 365: Modern Desktop Administrator Associate certs.

1 Like

I can’t really say exactly where I work or what I do, but my work consists of management and cybersecurity for the business. I used to be a sysadmin but I have worked my way up. I have worked there for almost like 12 years now, so not a ton but enough to move to higher positions

I was able to get such a beast because I was able to buy servers that were being fazed out of our data centers at great prices. Previously I had a more traditional 50 tb storage server that is now used for backup and redundancy

Also I would love to get my hands on an epyc cluster, but that’s not going to happen lol

3 Likes

Also to add, since I have already made absurd (at least for most people) investments into audio, I wanted to make my music storage the best it could be for a reasonable price too

I stream.
I don’t have that many CD’s (gave them away some years back…) and can’t find enough lossless files online. But Spotify is fine and I hope Amazon Music HD will soon be available in my country.

I feel like streaming would expose me to more new artist that I like, but I just don’t feel the need to stream

I recommend onkyomusic, 7digital, bandamp to buy lossless. You can find almost everything there

1 Like

I don’t trust any genre-and-style-matching algorithm to consistently serve me with things I will like rather than annoy me with things I will find too different from the primary selection to be worth my time. Last.FM used to be godlike at giving me truly similar artists, and I’ve got all-time favorites now that I found due to Last.FM’s tag system or whatever they’ve got going there, but after it switched to using YouTube links for playing the music… IDK, it lost its appeal somehow, maybe its collection size suddenly collapsed because there wasn’t quite as much music on YouTube yet as there is today. Or because I’ve found other methods of getting suggestions of new artists to give a shot to. But if my wishlist gets empty I will on occasion still check out Last.FM for new artists to audition. (Pandora is out of the question, as it remains unavailable in Romania to this day.)

Is it really that surprising tho? I mean if it’s his main hobby and like you he has a high paying job dosen’t it make sense? I mean alot of people who stream actually pay 500 bucks just for a pretty program like roon. Think about the amounts of crazy high end systems over 100, 000 dollars too. Evidently there’s a market for everything. In my community most people wouldn’t even buy or knew that there were head phones over 30 bucks lol. It makes sense considering how he dosen’t stream music whatsoever, o also put alot of money into storage since i don’t stream

It’s not necessarily the genre matching album I am after, just very new and recent albums that I typically am late to the party too

Well I mean it’s also my main pc and I enjoy that stuff too, but it’s really nothing anyone needs. A simple full featured storage server can be had for around the 300-400 range. It’s very overkill for the use. But I also host servers

1 Like

Haha yeah it’s fine i get it, most people would not need it like both of you said. Its just that for most things like hobbies and specially collectors NOTHING surprises me. I mean its so ironic that people pay 500 dollars for permanent ownership of a streaming program for borrowed music

Roon is nice and all but I just made my own system like that and put more money into hardware rather then software. But for other people it makes a lot more sense

1 Like

Personally i guess I don’t have much music since i just have 30 gigs or so of music. But I don’t go out of my way to hear new music alot either, kinda happy and satisfied with what i have

I stream music because its convenient and i like discovering new music and adding it to my playlist. Listening to the same songs over and over would get boring to me. Especially because i would have such a small library of cds to choose from.

1 Like

Definitely looks nice, and im sure its good. Just super ironic. Yeah i just use my phone with a little Bluetooth dac that zeos recommended. And my music player is the n7 player, since it does everything i need and looks cool too. On my tablet its the foobar2000 since apple sucks

That is definitely an issue, makes alot of sense. Which platform to stream do you use?

I use Tidal hifi for both my phone and desktop setup

Occasionally I will use spotify because tidal doesn’t have every song or artist that I listen to.

1 Like

I thought so, heard tidal is semi niche . Surprisingly enough i heard it’s getting alot of kpop! Ao maybw they are getting more varieties of music

Yeah some of the more obscure artists aren’t on tidal. Although sometimes a song is on there but you have to type the song in letter for letter into the search bar for it to come up. An example would be the interstellar soundtrack. I have to type in “Interstellar Original Motion Picture” in order for the soundtrack to appear. Another is Mrs. Robinson by simon and garfunkel. I had to type in “the graduate” to find the specific version.