Who streams and who dosent?

I held off on streaming until about 2 years ago. “Losing my music” when a streaming service goes out of business or the internet goes down were my main concern. Also, sound quality… I admit to being a bit curmudgeonly on that one too. However, I decided I had a big enough permanent library I could handle to occasional internet outage and there are enough streaming players that meant streaming as a concept was here to stay. I’m glad I did. The first few months gave my love of music a huge shot in the arm. I discovered so much cool stuff I would never have heard before. I still buy the occasional FLAC album of the small handful of favorites of the favorites, but by in large streaming is my go to way to access music these days.

you have these towers tied into the wall in case there’s an earthquake?

where I live is prone to earth quakes…last ‘bigger’ one was in 2014 at 7.2 on the Richter scale. so everything ‘tall’ like book shelves, pantry’s, china cabinets, etc are all tied in so they hopefully wont fall over.

That’s the one thing I don’t protect against, but I’m covered for everything else lol (almost). There isn’t a huge concern over earthquakes where I live

I do both stream and use flac ripped from my CDs.

Streaming is so convenient and is great for discovering new music as you can listen to lot more music than i could ever afford to buy. However, when i do find music i love, i tend to try to buy it (either as flac online, or CDs) to support the artist as they earn so little from me streaming them. Hopefully the more people that does that, the greater the chance is that they will make more albums for us to enjoy :slight_smile:

2 Likes

we have over 1500 CDs- many ripped to Flac
my wife and I still buy CDs

for streaming we use Amazon since all bought CDs are automatically ripped for our music and audio books
The Amazon Unlimited Music with prime Account was ok for us the small amount extra since the start and at the moment we try out Amazon HD

we had spotify for years and since over 1 year Premium

Tidal Masters for mqa is more my thing while my wife uses Spotify the most of the time because it’s conveniant

Audible for podcasts and audiobooks

HDtracks for highres downloads here and there

1 Like

Oooooooooh quite the interesting mix! It’s cool that your wife and you still collect cd’s 1500 is a crazy amount, where do you store them? And how often do you use them as compared to streaming?

He has a smaller barge full of CDs that he tows behind his big barge.

Perhaps that could be a good way to free up the space in my basement lol

I went from cassette to my own mix tapes in the mid and late 80’s. Then I went to radio and CD’s but I held onto my cassettes till this very day. After 95’ or so I went to radio. I kept to radio till a decade or so ago when I decided to dust off one of my old CD players and found the ability to rip my own CD’s. That bored me after exactly 3 discs…I also find that I own most CD’s for 1 or two songs, that always annoyed me, so finally I figured out this streaming thing. i’m pretty frugal tho so the streaming was always limited. Then one day almost 2 years ago Zeos came into my life and re-ignited a long ago forgotten passion for gadgets and music. Thus I now stream almost exclusively. I still use FM radio, throw on old nasty hiss laden mix tapes once in a while or a scratched up CD but I see no better medium than streaming to give me instant access to any style of music and song I want. I listen to much more music because of the ability to stream stuff. I never liked vinyl or anything about it, i really don’t have the patience records require nor the the attention span to really listen to any single album from beginning to end. Streaming is for me, I like technology for some things, this is one of them. I like Tidal best of all the services I tried and don’t mind paying the cost, especially since they keep getting better at it.

1 Like

FM radio is just really bad where I am, no quality content any more unfortunately

I flip thru stations and wind up on news allot. Point is i still use it, at least in the vehicles. It’s really better than what we used to do, carry CD and cassette cases around. Streaming is a bluetooth connection away, especially rental vehicles. Otherwise i always fall back to flipping channels to keep the boredom at bay.

Your telling me that having 100’s of cds in flipbook cases wasn’t convenient lol?

2 Likes

:rofl: Ahhh memories…I still own most of those gummed up, scratched, melted from the sun and then frozen cd’s. I was such a car stereo guy… and carrying multiple radios around. 1 for cassettes and one for Cd’s. I don’t miss those days but it was fun. Thanks for the laugh buddy.

1 Like

Part of why I’ve thought about having a server closet once I can get a house. May not be practical, but it can be my pet project over the years.

Yes, it’s alot of fun, and you can do fun things with it, especially if you know what you can do with it

1 Like

Well, with looking at a career in telemedicine, and the certs I’m looking at, plus an uncle who can help me learn Unix, I would sure hope I would know what I can do with it.

Lots of fun things lol, it’s a worthwhile purchase for anyone who enjoys this stuff

Ooooooh thnx for sharing your story! And I strangely enough sympathize with you as even my favorite artists hava many songs that i simply dislike! Every single artist has a ton of hit or miss songs. In fact i can probably count the amount of full albums that i like with my hands! Only Kishi Bashi, the fray, nujabes, mamamoo , bol4, busker busker, autumn vacation and maybe three other artists have full albums that i like. Even writing them i only like 1 or 2 full albums of each. I don’t think I’ve ever found an artist of whom i like 3 full albums! But since i download my music it’s not a big issue unlike physical media. So thanks for explaining your reasons for streaming tidal!!

1 Like

1500 are not much - we are both 43 years old and have music loving parents, her sisters man is a music producer… we worked for years in the live music business…

we store them everywhere in the house
most of them are on one wall in the living room - where we listen most of the time to music
another big part is in the home-office, where my wife works every day for a few hours after she was in her office for 2 or 3 hours and she has a 2.1 setup for her CDs, vinyls and streaming apps
in our sleeping area we have all our audiobooks and some cds
in the guest room we have a few cds, DVDs, console games and books - rarely used stuff
in our old 2005 Volvo V70 2,4i we have a bunch of cds flying around because there is no aux or Bluetooth but a very good original volvo hifi setup (don´t remember how many speakers with 2 subs)
in my Volvo C30 2.4i R-design I have also the more modern original volvo/dynaudio setup with aux but always have a bunch of cd´s in rotation - most of the time here use aux with Tidal or spotify

in the office and on the go we stream or listen to our ripped flacs, bought DSDs…
at home we stream less, except in the kitchen

That’s true about a lot of things!