Why is it that the audiophile community is mostly male?

I read this a while ago and thought this might be valid article for this https://www.independent.co.uk/news/long_reads/why-men-collectors-gender-comics-toys-hoarder-long-reads-a8463101.html

I think maybe the male collecting/obsessive thing leads from the hunter gather in us or more precisely the hunter… the larger the array of weapons or tools you had the more skills you learnt thus becoming a more effective hunter?

1 Like

Regarding if new people can tell the difference, learning is a skill and developing good active listening is important. Some people can’t even tell the difference between stuff surprisingly, and imo it just really depends on your listening ability more than gender

Maybe people just like to buy nice stuff if they have the💰ie if someone’s prepared to pay $4.5 billion on a yacht then fairplay…just wonder if they like headphones? lol

I mean I have sat down someone down with two speakers with one being a pair of iloud micro monitors and the other being svs ultra bookshelf’s driven by a nad d3045, and he seriously didn’t even notice I was flicking the a/b switch back and forth, switching the speakers every minute to 30 seconds. It was super surprising to me, but then it made sense that he thought the headphones sounded similar. It just really makes you wonder how much of hearing for audio is a skill lol

Now that I think about it though there was one particular track (don’t remember it though) that he noticed something was up but it didn’t happen for the other tracks. Also these were all tracks he knew. And I didn’t tell him I would be switching back and forth. Not a scientific experiment, just screwing with him but it somehow failed lol

Going by Darko’s coverage of the Warsaw audio show and how it was pretty evenly diverse in terms of attendees, it’s clear that women audiophiles exist. They probably just have their own private forums and chats and just keep to themselves.

1 Like

A lot of it is many people don’t know what to look for. Many of us are more critical because we know to listen for soundstage, imaging, how things separate, and how things are layered as well as just general sound sig.

Or you just think you are talking to dudes all the time. :female_detective:

2 Likes