Why the pursuit of hyper detail?

I suspect these personal preferences for specific FRs are down to what comes closest to equipment transparency, i.e. natural sound, depending on each person’s HRTF and preferred listening loudness. Once you have headphones that give you that, the only thing left to like about other FRs is if they complement specific masterings in just the right way for you to like them (more than hearing the original faithfully reproduced). That’s highly dependent on each album and what mastering decisions were made there, and compensating for those decisions to bring the result closer to what you’d like to hear is not something I’d do by buying multiple headphones, especially not expensive ones. That’s what EQ is for.

1 Like

the only thing left to like about other FRs is if they complement specific masterings in just the right way for you to like them

There are so many variables that creates and I don’t think it necessarily has to be “just the right way”. There is a lot of nuance in there. It’s really not that simple, imo. I’ve listened to music on 2 or 3 different headphones, with different tuning and get different things out of it. And EQ is only going to go so far. With a lot headphones, you just end up with a lot of distortion when you try to change things with EQ too much.

I have a dac/amp that is built to be “Hyper detailed” or sounds so to me. It’s hard to describe because it doesn’t detract from brickwalled or Noise Cannon type recordings, but… it’s like… it’s hard to describe because the way the hyper detail is implemented with My Chord Hugo TT 2 makes it feel like as if you’re more aware of the recording space or lack there of if its a purely digitally produced track. For me it makes me distinctly more aware of spacial placement of the instruments if it was mixed in such a way for that and the “presence” of the venue. Which for me reads as more natural.

Plus there are… other reasons I like the detail.

not my headphones
headphone

6 Likes

Lol there are headphones are basically just that. SR1 A are literally ribbon speakers that require a 150 wpc amp.

Still looking for a chance to try these out.

1 Like

I would say the akg k1000 and myspheres are another good example as well

Also those raals are really good, 100% worth

1 Like

They’re way less expensive than I expected
I seriously thought they’d be like… Hifiman Shangrila Sr prices.

I am definitely going to pick them up if they fix the comfort. The cost comes from the amplification and how picky they can be

would they be okay with a bryston or Parasound amp?

I would say so for sure. I really liked the sound but they gave me a headache so I will wait until they can get it more comfortable, but I would be willing to pick them up after that for sure

Yeah, they seem very awkwardly designed. All they need is an all around pad providing comfort and separation rather than those single strips of foam that run from your temples to your cheeks.

I’m assuming they clamp very hard too

It was mainly the pressure where they touched my head that give me a bad headache after 10 minutes. The K1000 I tried didn’t (probably because they were worn in), but the myspheres were a bit uncomfortable as well

I feel like this needs a lighter more flexible headband. Something akin to a Mr Speakers’s design perhaps. Possibly with a way to modify clamping pressure like the porta pros

Apparently its modular to replace the headband according to some reviews. Huh.

Like the headband on something like the aurorus borealis?

Also it is super sensitive to the position on your head

Yeah. But also that kind of headphone with the thin flexible wires and comfort strap. Heck even something akin to a focal type headband would work

Review that mentions modularity with headband:

Aaaaaaa I just got the D8000 Pro I don’t need another pair lol. I will personally just wait for another version that might come around and be better lol

I do think that the amps I have would be a good match because they might tame the treble, but I just can’t justify it with the current comfort issues (also would have to figure out what I want to sell)

Also they might be really good for mastering to that could give me another excuse

2 Likes

If I had the sheer disposable income to experiment, I’d buy them and experiment with modifying the headband and pads.

I don’t know if I would be comfortable with modding something like that lol. Not the most steady handed lol

I would be curious to see if they could replace any of the headphones I use in my mastering rotation (or just add them into the rotation without replacing any of them as they would be more speaker like

That is a very interesting design. How do they sound?

Very good, it fixed the issues I had with the regular D8000 I had, and will for sure be used in the mastering rotation. It has a more intimate sound and fixed the subpar bass and treble performance. It is less “fun” then the D8000 but I did buy these for work. Also much better at high volumes then the regular version. It’s just pretty dang neutral yet with a more enjoyable sound. It might replace my mx4’s in the rotation, but I don’t know yet

1 Like