Why the pursuit of hyper detail?

Also I should say that in their presentation nothing is pushed forward or backwards if it was mixed that way, so it’s good for checking where sounds will be presented in a mix for me

well hell, lets bypass the 4000$ bill and just start taking apart our speakers! I got a pair of really nice elac’s

10 Likes

Bass you can feel lol

Lol. Imagining strapping those Dayton exciters dms used in that one video to a pair of solo cups as headphones

1 Like

Or just sticking them to your back and your head lol. Next level bone conductors

1 Like

I would disagree that “speakers are better” because speakers are very room dependant. When you put the speakers on your ears, the room isn’t a problem.

So speakers are only “better” placed properly in the properly treated room. IMO

Sure the vibrations liquified my occipital lobe and now I’m not only blind but incapable of processing any visual information…
…but the sound?
chef’s kiss
incredible

5 Likes

youre the man with the plan, what do you think Mon? are speakers better than headphones?

To get the same level of detail out of a speaker setup as you would a headphone one is gonna cost a lot more :moneybag:
Saying that if I had the space and the finical were with all (min £20k+++) then a speaker system all day long for me.

3 Likes

they are bigger speakers i have to admit. but i see IEM’s selling for high prices and people saying they are the best they’ve ever heard. maybe the closer you get to the ear the less size in a speaker you need? Are speakers truly better than headphones?

Speaker-headband design at it’s best. They might be missing the low end. :wink:
Might need a bit more muscle for the 220lbs speakers-headband version and of course the another 260lbs for the actual subs. The amount of ducktape, easy move ability and perfect sound… :laughing:
Not forgetting the amount batterys on a trailer to get even few minutes of music.

yes. Good speakers are better than good headphones.

I only got HD58Xs and T50RPs (…for now), but I never heard “annoying” detail yet. Is this a thing? If the detail is annoying, maybe you’re using stuff that “compresses” the music too much. Like Schiit stuff, or ATH-M40Xs even. Both apparently gives you a ton of detail… that isn’t supposed to be there. Maybe look at more dynamic headphones/speakers… or something other than Schiit.

EDIT: Wait, I also got a pair of broken Wharfedale 9.1s, and they sound like I’m listening to a cube full of detail… But the detail is as loud as the bass drum (etc). Yeah… way too compressed equals defective for me. But detail is never a problem if the dynamics (volume difference between loud things and subtle things) are realistic.

I mean, it makes sense. The best way to feel like people are playing music right in front of you, is putting loud enough music-making-things right in front of you.

…You’ll just need literally 10 times, or even 100 times the money to get to the detail level of headphones, though.

1 Like

Yes exactly.
True. You need bigger budget. More and bigger gear means more stuff to buy, or what ever the listeners “end” goal is.
Also the place and surroundings and stuff + thing in it comes in the game.
Bigger game but also bigger rewards in my mind.

1 Like

If your goal is realistic sound representation, and you have good speakers in a good room, then yes speakers would get you closer to that goal. But that’s not everybody’s goal and not everybody actually enjoys speakers more

1 Like

well thats probably true for me then. the only experience i got with a speaker setup is wav files on my comp to a schiit modi dac to a Onkyo A-9110 Integrated Stereo Amplifier then to ELAC Debut 2.0 B6.2 Bookshelf Speakers.

I was lead to believe thats a pretty good setup. and even though i was inpressed with it, it didnt sound nearly as good as my aiva’s or even more inferior headsets ive used

This may be the problem. Schiit compresses stuff. I never heard anything from Schiit but basically everyone says Schiit sounds constipated cough compressed, therefore, yes, too much unwanted details for you and your friend – especially with “audiophile-oriented” ELAC speakers carefully doing… what the DAC tells em to do.

Try with a different DAC? (Or anything with a DAC: Smartphone, game console, etc).

Their amps are more dynamically range compressed imo, but their dacs are colored too. But my main concerns with compression lie within their older amps

Also, those ELACs have Woven Aramid-Fiber woofers. Doesn’t carbon fiber… or fiber anything, means, a ton more (possibly unwanted) detail, too? My way-too-compressed-and-detailed Wharfedales have carbon fiber woofers too.

wait, my schiit modi is no good? the masterswitch web site had it on their list for the best of 2019

https://www.themasterswitch.com/best-dacs

Just try your speakers with your smartphone instead (or whatever can be used as a DAC). If the “hyper detail” still annoys you, your speakers (or the Onkyo amp, even?) is the problem. But if it sounds good and there’s no “hyper detail”, well, your Schiit modi is the problem.

I’m sure a lot of people would love your equipment and all the “hyper detail” you hear – it’s just personal preference.

You could also say your equipment is just too good: You say you hear too much stuff. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like