šŸ”· xDuoo MT-602

Have nothing scientific or analytical to add in here, but I swapped some NOS Sylvania 6AK5 into this unit and Iā€™m really really enjoying it today with HE-5xx. Seems like it added a bit of oomph to the bass attack and soundstage depth/width. I just love listening to instrumental guitar on these setups. Unlike some other cheaper older tube hybrids Iā€™ve mussed with, there are no warts here. No oddities, the build and fit/finish are great.

If I were shopping in the $100 amp realm, and particularly if I were looking to power any of these ā€œbudgetā€ Hifiman planar, up through Sundara. Unless completely averse to tubes/want simplicity. Would love to compare this to Vali 2+ sometime.

Sylvania 6AK5ā€™s should be here by early July :smiley:

Got my almost couple of weeks ago, and trying out Sylvania tubes from 65 and from 66.
I was wondering because the case gets warm (39-40 C/102-104F), if adding a radiator to the flat part of the amp will help with temperatures?

1 Like

Where did you get yours? :slight_smile:

Sketchy ebay store that took 8 weeks to ship xD

But god are they awesomeā€¦ likeā€¦ Sure itā€™s not a clean sound but the soundstage is huge and the mid bass so so warm. Best 28$ ever

Still a noob in the dac/AMP game, so normally do I use this with amp or pre-amp with headphones? Been reading through a lot of articles about amp and pre-amp, but itā€™s still hella confusing which one to use if I just want this singly between my laptop and headphones.

Besides, considering that my laptop has bad USB 3.0 ports that fail half of the time, my only option is the USB 2.0 thatā€™s already using a shared port for a bunch of devicesā€¦ Is there an HDMI-to-RCA cable and do folks recommend that? Or is audio signal from the HDMI port not the best?

This is a headphone amp. It also can work as a preamp which allows it to feed signal to a power amp or set of powered speakers. Good to have flexibility. If youā€™re powering headphones, this will do that job.

It takes rca audio inputs. Most folks would recommend a DAC which would convert USB (digital) output audio signal into RCA (analog) signal. A good budget DAC is in the $100 area. I hear youā€™re having some USB issues.

You COULD run a 3.5mm to RCA patch cable without a DAC to get signal to the 602, but youā€™ll be missing some ā€œfidelityā€.

Maybe explain your goal and equipment and we can better help you.

1 Like

Currently I have the FiiO K3 connected to my laptop, and I also have the xDuoo LinK dongle dac. According to what you said, I might just hook up a USB-C to USB 2.0 adaptor for the LinK as the middle ground for the MT602, so on the other end I probably need a 3.5mm to RCA I guess? Does that also mean that USB-to-RCA isnā€™t an option due to the digital/analog signal differences?

I currently have the HD58x, KPH30i, Yamaha MT5, and several Tin or BLON IEMs, but Iā€™m looking to get the Hifiman HE400se for a planar upgrade. Goal is to have a decent and concise build, not too chunky and easily moved around, so thatā€™s why Iā€™m not investing in dac + AMP stacks.

Has anyone tried this with 6XX? Iā€™m wondering if it might be a cheaper way of getting some valve goodness even though itā€™s a hybrid.

Youā€™ll want to double-confirm this, but I think you could use a 3.5mm out of the K3 (Acting purely as DAC) through a patch cable to the MT-602.

USB-to-RCA is effectively happening already, inside the K3. (just 3.5mm instead of rca, which is why you need that simple patch cable).

This would be the simple cheap current way to do things.

I like doing this more than the Link, as that is a more amplified signal coming out of that output (amped intended for headphones, rather than the K3ā€™s line out which is signal intended to BE amlified - which the MT-602 will do). A lot of these tube hybrids have a good bit of gain to them, and on something sensitive/lower impedance like even the KPH30i and the IEMs may have you decreasing input level into the MT-602 already.

Yes just checked, the K3 has a 3.5mm line out port on the back

Thanks for the very detailed explanation; I think I understand more about pre-amps now. Looking forward to getting this setup and play around with tubes and planar!

1 Like

Yeah, this item is unique in being a portable that has a lot of output modalities.
But, essentially youā€™ll be using it just like it was a regular desktop DAC in this situation, which most of its competitors would be unable to do.

Good luck! Planar and tube hybrid is a good combo. I love my 5xx through my MT-602.

One other oddity on the MT-602 is that front aux input 3.5mm, which you could utilize instead of the rear rca inputs, if a 3.5ā€“>3.5 connector was easier for you. I just like the cleanliness of the rear rca.

2 Likes

I tried mt602 wirh with 6xx earlier. Sounds great. Not sure its gonna give you the tubiest experience, but definitely a nice setup.

1 Like

Iā€™ve got my set today, and my mind just entered a higher dimension. :exploding_head:
Iā€™m used to hearing sound left and right, but as recommended, now using the K3 as a dac and the MT602 as AMP Iā€™m hearing a room with the music playing all around me, and the bass thump and the upper sparkle are all enhanced. Heck, even the vocals are coming to the front than being slightly veiled. Not a small room either, a hall for chamber music.

Hifiman HE400se performs exceptionally well with this setup, the whole spaciousness and lower & upper just opens wide out. The Tin T4 doesnā€™t show as much difference than the 400se, but the space improvement over the left-right plain is really noticeable.

Thanks for the help again, and I highly recommend anyone whoā€™s on the fence for tubes to pick this up as an entry level marvel.

Three questions tho:

1. Do you use the volume on the dac feeding to the MT-602 (fixed at 12 oā€™clock) or just use the volume knob on the 602, and does this affect output power?

2. Long-time users, have you heard a tonal difference between the 3.5mm and 6.35mm output?

3. Is it bad to leave tube amps on 24/7?

1 Like

With even a hybrid tube, I typically only leave it on when in use. Since the tube has a finite lifespan.
In my case I use the volume of the MT-602. These have a lot of gain, so sometimes youā€™ll need to dial back the input level a touch. Thereā€™s a little channel imbalance early in the pot also, so sometimes that helps you rise above that level.

No experience critically listening out of the two different output sizes.

1 Like

Has anyone tried this amp with IEMs? Would it be too powerful?

1 Like

Me here, absolutely no problem, and it opens up the stage for IEMs as well. These are fantastic for pairing anything. Iā€™ve paired them with Tin T4 and Blon BL-05s and their sound signatures changed significantly.

I noticed, though, that the Tin T2 fails to change much from this set.

1 Like

What about background noise? Pretty sure 1300mw on sensible iems will prolly make it scream :frowning:

Tbh I donā€™t think the unit is that strong and it depends on how much you place your volume, there a very tiny buzz on any headphone or IEM I pair with it, but Iā€™m using my FiiO K3 to input signal into it (preamp?) and itself already has a tiny buzz.

To my ears itā€™s not noticeable unless I try to listen to it, HARD. Iā€™m listening with my Blon at this moment and have no problem. Iā€™d say itā€™s fine :ok_hand: If there were the buzz aka scream, there wouldnā€™t be that many folks recommending this unit!

1 Like

can you test with any sensible IEM? like <= 16ohm and high sensibility?

Iā€™m just worried because when I had TSMR Land, I could hear a buzz even from my M3X dap, that has like 1/4th of that powerā€¦

I mainly use IEMs that have around 16ohms, thatā€™s my concern only. Worried that stuff like Mangird Tea or Variations will pick it up too much.