XDUOO XD-05 vs XDUOO XD-05 Plus

I am VERY impressed with this dac/amp!
Two days are not much to give a full impression, but so far it has blown me away. The power and the sound signature are right up my alley and the BT is the cherry on top. I normally use a Monoprice by Monolith (THX) but I prefer this with it’s more full and round sound, even with the DT 1990.

You can get smaller portable dap/amp’s but I would not trade this for getting something smaller and the size more than ok. Using the Coaxial for the BT I have 21 hrs playing time and if I go AUX there is 40 hrs :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

The display is small but high-res and the blue color is not too bright, but quite nice to look at. The vol. button is pure dope and I understand how Zeos is crazy about the right clicking sound! And having a 6.35 mm jack is so cool; my HP don’t need a different cable or converter, but can be used as-is.

Did I mention the mat alu finish it is made of… it is so well made and feels real premium.
I can only recommend it and for the price I think you get full value. If you are on the fence and not sure, there is only one thing to say:

giphy

3 Likes

Have you compared it to a Topping NX4 or the iFi Nano? Those are the things im choosing between at the moment. I wonder if Topping is planning on releasing a revised NX4 to combat the XD-05 Plus.

Sorry no, I have neither so no idea about they sound against each-other.

I really liked the topping nx4. Good enough power for anything relatively efficient but it couldn’t drive my t50rps. I ended up returning it and getting the xd-05 plus instead. I remember it sounding the best with iems, but a little sterile with headphones. Ifi would have a warmer sound and wouldn’t be as clean as the topping. Hope this helps

1 Like

I have the ATC HDA P1 which I’m pretty sure is a re-badged version of the original XD-05 and if the XD-05 is indeed the same then I’d recommend it highly. Lots of power for a battery powered portable device which drives any of my headphones to ear bleeding levels with plenty of room to spare and a transparent DAC. I’m assuming the XD-05 Plus is better again but the original is an excellent device which offered good value.

The plus is an increase in power and sound quality over the original, can easily recommend both, and the fact that you can find the xd05 for like 130-140 new is just a steal imo (at lest in the us on sites like ebay)

1 Like

Isn’t the PLUS too noisy for sensitive IEMs?

It depends, with some iems yes, with some no. If you have a pretty sensitive iem I would look elsewhere. You can always get an iematch if needed

what’s an iemmatch?

Sorry I was referring to the ifi IEmatch, which is essentially something that will adjust impedance to lower the noise floor for sensitive iems (or headphones). iFi is not the only one who makes something like this

1 Like

righto. :slight_smile:

If the iem has an impedance of <24ohms then it probably will. So im conflicted because the 05plus is really great with headphones, but can be tricky with iems vs the NX4 or ifi nano. But picking up an additional iematch dongle with the 05plus is still going to be cheaper than getting the ifi Micro BL by a mile.

Too bad there isnt a place locally where I can side by side the ifi nano/micro vs the nx4 and 05plus, nor is there an option to buy and refund if im not happy with which ever device.

Anyone happen to try the 05plus with TinP1 or some Campfires?

For campfires there will be a noticable noise door, but with a noise reducer like the iematch from ifi it’s not an issue imo. The p1 really benefit from the power the xd05 has on tap which is nice

1 Like

So you’ve tried the P1 on an XD-05 or plus version? Does it make it sound like its connected to a desktop amp or is a desktop still going to be better?

I’ve tried it on the plus, the plus has the power of a desktop amp for sure.

1 Like

Thank you! I’ll bite the bullet on the XD05plus then.

1 Like

These things are very solid feeling and rather industrial. Not particularly compact but there is a feeling of quality. The thing that swung me was the power as relative to many alternatives when I bought my ATC badge version it was one of the more powerful options and can drive anything I have louder than I like with headroom to spare. Compared to my Shanling M3S or Galaxy S10 the added power is immediately obvious and the ATC never feels stressed or gets anywhere near clipping.

1 Like

I wonder if the noise could be reduced by swapping to weaker opamps

Moving to higher quality op amps would most likely help

Im not familiar with the technical workings of opamps, but if it reduces the output impedance then yes. Based on a user test the output impedance of the stock plus is 3ohms.