Yet another headphone upgrade question

So, took a while for them to get here, but to quickly sum up the results…

The amp arrived first, used it for a week or so without DAC on the HD 558s. I think I could notice a difference… but could certainly be placebo. I heard amps won’t help the 558s much anyways.

DAC got then got here, and I’m pretty sure I can tell a difference in noise. Definitely a nice-to-have.

Got the DT 880s, tested them out immediately against the HD 558s (both through amp/dac). The wife and my initial impression was that music sounds better on the 558s, a good test song we used was Panic! At the Disco - Death of a Bachelor. She described it like the sax seemed to lose a lot of it’s… bass-yness I think would be the right. Perhaps the 990s wouldn’t have this issue.

Used it in gaming over the next like… two weeks? Time has passed by strange recently with the quarantine. Holy shit does it make a big difference. Where I was usually like “I hear someone to the left-ish” with a general direction, I’ve now got a pretty good idea as to where they are. Hell, I’ve second guessed myself a handful of times in Apex Legends where I’m like… I thought I heard something over on the left… but my teammate is walking nearby. Maybe it was just that. NOPE!

As a final decision on the music aspect… they are kind-of just different. The 880s definitely seem to have a wider sound stage. Sounds seem to be a bit more clear. That said, I think the 558s (to my uneducated ears) might be better for music. Not enough to swap back though.

TL;DR; Sennheiser HD 558 to Beyerdynamic DT 880
For competitive gaming: Holy shit, so much better. Super worth it.
For music: Mostly just different, probably better upgrade choices for this.

2 Likes

Glad your enjoying it so far :+1:

1 Like

So I saw the Z Review video on the DT 880s talking about how you need a really high up amp to drive them properly without distortion, and I think he specifically mentioned the magni schiit 3 (I think) couldn’t drive it to sound great… at least when he adds a handful of other things that I don’t know anything about.

Any truth to this? If (or really when?) I get upgrade-itis… is a better amp the first thing to go for?

Some of this was discussed in the official DT880 thread . @ZeosPantera went a bit overboard. The new Magni amps have plenty of power to drive the DT880’s comfortably. But, it also true that they are $99 amps and the 880’s will remind you of that from a quality standpoint, depending on the quality of recording. IMO, the Schiit Asgard 3 and the Darkvoice (if you get it at the $200 or less price from Drop) are excellent price-appropriate matches for the DT880.

3 Likes

I can confirm this as well. Liquid Spark, Magni 3+, atom all can power the dt 880 600 ohm but they won’t sound the best. Recommended to buy an amp around the $200 range with a good amount of power like the asgard 3, which does very well for this headphone and many others, to make it sound its best.

2 Likes